Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Travel packages for travel outside Thailand (with thai sim)

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the 'travel packages' for thai sims, when you travel outside Thailand. I have found these on the true website, but others might have them as well.

In July I'm planning a couple of months in SEA, starting and ending in Thailand. In between I'm going the countries in the vicinity (Laos, Malaysia, Cambodja, Singapore etc).

If I understand it correctly, these packages give you a certain amount of data and minutes for all the countries. It would mean that you can keep your thai number and no need to get a new sim in every place.

So does this work? Is there a way to buy more GB while abroad without setting up some kind of account (normally I buy all packages and extras cash in a True store)?

• 3 weeks later...

I am also looking into the ex-Thailand package, as I already booked my ticket BKK - CGK for next month. I was in the True office today and they believe that I need to buy the package before leaving Thailand (obvious). I will be return to that office in a few days. Perhaps I can just buy the package at that time, or maybe they will show how to buy online. 

TGOEA

I returned to True (Central Festival) to pick up my phone. As for the travel sim, the price is 899 thb. The label says 8GB, but they told me it is actually 10GB. With the language issue, I did not feel like asking why the different amount. In any case, they suggest waiting until the day before travel, because Sim becomes active once you put in phone, but that did not make sense either. Why not buy it today, and then put it in phone before I get on flight at Suvarnabhumi? They also mentioned that I can buy at BKK. 

I’m just going for 3 days in Indonesia, so this plan will work for me. For travel to several countries over two months, I would still consider buying this international sim, but also buy a limited data sim for each country after arriving and top up as needed. 

TGOEA

899 seems very steep, that seems to be for world coverage. A card for just Asia should only be 399 for the same...and the website indicates it can be less if you add it to your normal true sim, instead of buying a separate travel sim. I can imagine it is tough to work that out if there is a language barrier.

https://www.true.th/truemoveh/site/international_service/travelling_abroad/travelsim?ln=en

Thanks FKO, I am going to be in Bangkok this week for a few days, and will have some time to visit a True office to get a better understanding of the True travel sim package from someone that has more than basic English skills (my Thai is terrible, so need help with that as well).

TGOEA

I have a pre-paid sim from AIS, I got it about a year ago, if I remember correctly at the mall. AIS has an app where you can top up your account and purchase new packages. I use a data-only package and whatever few phone calls I make (most Thais call each other on LINE anyway) I use the balance in my account, a phone call is usually about 10 baht or so.  

On the app you can also buy roaming packages, I used ones for Korea and Japan. I got data only. I believe it was 400 baht for two weeks if I remember correctly. 

Pleasure is the only thing one should live for. 

Nothing ages like happiness.

- Oscar Wilde -

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update. On the departures level of Suvarnabhumi, you can buy these true sim cards in their kiosks. Paid 399 for 10 days of plenty gb. Have used it in Cambodia, Singapore and Malaysia. Also some deal that gives you a bunch of GB for Thailand for a month, so I won't need to top up once I get back for my last 10 days in Thailand before I return back home.

Sorry I don't remember the exact amounts of gb, but I rarely use more than 2 a month and these numbers are always much higher.