IGNORED

Visa run with an agency or DIY

cheaty

Hi all,

I'm currently on a 2 month tourist visa, which I intend to extend for another month. 

At the end of the 3 months I'm considering a visa run to Laos or Cambodia. I see there are tons of agencies offering the service with prices around 2800-3500 THB.

As I would enjoy spending 2-3 days in Vientiane or Phnom Phen, I'm considering organizing this myself - just get a flight/bus, book a hotel, etc.  I know I will have to spend a bit more as a total cost, but will get a "holiday" out of it as well.

Any pros/cons of using an agency, related to the potential problems I might have at the border or in the future? If I do it myself, is there a chance to get rejected on return? 

Moreover, after doing a visa run, is it possible to further extend the visa?

Live the way you like, like the way you live.

I have never been to Laos (on my list) however I did go to Phnom Phen once for 2 nights. 

I absolutely hated it (food, people, atmosphere).

You may want to consider Vietnam as well.

HCMC and Hanoi are great places to visit for 3 nights or longer (if you like it).

As an American I need a Visa all of the above.  Make sure you double check what Aussies need before you go.

100% agree about PP, although my impressions are about 10 years old... Visiting the Killing Fields made things even worse.

I really enjoyed Vientiane, but the same applies - visited it a long time ago, so I'm a bit curious to see it now

• Like 1

I can only recommend Vientiane. Such a chilled spot. Don't expect much by way of mongering, though. You would not need an agency for this. That's more about the Cambo border hops. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

1 hour ago, Thomaz73 said:

I can only recommend Vientiane. Such a chilled spot. Don't expect much by way of mongering, though. You would not need an agency for this. That's more about the Cambo border hops. 

I was only in Vientiane for a day but really liked it there. Clean, quiet, low key place.

Mongering is apparently quite a bit less obvious but I've heard there still a little going on.  And just looking around tourist spot I got a lot of looks from local young ladies, but never tried approaching any.

We hired a mini bus tour in Udon Thani, right next to the border, who ushered us across the border and kinda helped with the Visa. Visa was not free, maybe like $20 at the time, but I forget, and included a stopping at a couple different windows and standing around waiting. And, we were the only Westerners, there was no line, still a 20-30 minute wait.

Crossing into Malaysia was a lot easier except for spending two days on a train (one way), though I guess you don't have to go all the way to Penang, you'd probable spend just as much time waiting anywhere else for the return train (or you could just fly).  The day I spent in Penang / George Town everything was really quite, shut down and almost kinda deserted feeling, someone tried explaining something about a holiday to me, I never figured out.  But just going there, turning around and coming back, might be easier?

I have not done visa runs since before cov so maybe they have changed since then. 

I have done both paid and self visa runs and found cambodia to be a pain in the ass on my own. it takes longer and they scam you for extra money so in the end it takes much longer at the border and costs extra from the standard visa fees in the end its almost the same price plus the extra time.

Laos for Canadians is very expensive the visa fee is 1500b or more so never did a run there. 

my favourite cheapest and easiest is Myanmar. pay in usd and its the cheapest and easy simple and fast to do on your own. I like the ranong run. you can tie it in with a trip to ko Phayam ( not at this time of year though island is basically closed may to nov ) you just go to the border control area and get a boat taxi to the myanmar side its cheap can't remember the price but its about 30-40min boat ride. get your stamp and leave again no waiting no hassles. you can bus there or fly the city has a small airport.  highly recommend it in the winter months especially feb during the cashew festival. good times and you can dive / surf / or just hang out in a quiet paradise. 

13 hours ago, westexpat2 said:

Myanmar

About that... Do you have any recent info/experience? I really want to go there, but I'm worried about the situation there. I see some people have normal trips, but it is still unstable. Also, you can't get any insurance and (almost) all money you spend there will fund a military regime are other deterrents.  

smartraveller.gov.au just says:

Do not travel to Myanmar due to ongoing civil unrest and armed conflict.

1.thumb.JPG.876b63d1897492fd1ac4b03c74819507.JPGAssume U are in Pattaya ?

I recomend Da Nang for an easy short haul break ,book early with Air Asia or ThiVet jet for cheapest fares and there are heaps of very cheap 3 star hotels .

I took my GF and stayed 5 star for 5 nights + 8 flights- fron Roi Et -(2x2xreturn),included airport transfers (cheap anyway) and a magic breakfast ,12th floor ocean views,hired near new bikes and had a lovely 5 day holiday All up ,inc spending money 1450$A.

Average street price for a stubbie/can of Saigon Red is 55cents Aussie& $2A in hotels .

If U going alone ,U may need to do some research for brothels/bars ,did not see any ,I did meet a few old Vets (1st Batt ) lads who reside there and had I been alone could have hungout with them ,They recon its all thereand no worries.

When U return U will get 30days via ,just may b asked for a return ticket,but unlikely.

U will need an E Visa,25$A,,,Visa on arrival is only issued if U have a preissued letter authorising VIA (bloody crazy).Another little anonaly -International licences are not recognised in Vietnam,U need apply on line (same time as visa) for a TEMPORY LICENCE to drive /ride in Vet,is free and issued on application.

No visa,no entry to Airplane at BKK/DMK.---Poms, Canuks and Yanks get free 15 days VIA ,Not Aussies .

Treat yourself to 5 star ,U will enjoy it .

Dining 3.JPG

Dining.JPG

Roof Pool 3.JPG

Roof Pool.JPG

Room View 1.JPG

Poster 1.JPG

• Like 2

Edited by WhiteThai

to answer better you need to clarify if you want to do a border bounce of get another tourist visa?

Border bounce is when you exit and then come back getting a 30 day visa exempt stamp

• Like 2

On 24/05/2023 at 11:06, bck said:

exit and then come back getting a 30 day visa exempt stamp

This

With the intention to stay 2-3-5 days out of Thailand, not sure if it matters if it's just 20 minutes or 2 days.

1 hour ago, cheaty said:

This

With the intention to stay 2-3-5 days out of Thailand, not sure if it matters if it's just 20 minutes or 2 days.

it does not matter, if you want to do a bounce without having to stay out, best to go with a visa run company, they handle everything on both sides of the border. but if you want to stay out for a few days, no need for any agent, fly out and fly back in. On the way back, you will get 30 day visa exempt stamp, which you can also extend at immigration for another 30 days for 1900 baht

PS, if you go with a visa run company, you cross the border, have lunch on the other side and walk back into Thailand

PPS, For border bounce by air, there are no agents, as there is simply no need for it

DIY you have to handle whatever IM officers throw at you by yourself. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1295335-expelled-from-thailand/?utm_campaign=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_source=NL

Edited by Kandinski
Add link