IGNORED

Pocket Routers

Fred Basset

Are “pocket routers” any good for getting strong, fast internet in Thailand?

What type of speed typically can be gained on a pocket router?

Strong enough for international video calls? 

2 hours ago, Fred Basset said:

Are “pocket routers” any good for getting strong, fast internet in Thailand?

What type of speed typically can be gained on a pocket router?

Strong enough for international video calls? 

- sure

- depends on the speed of the mobile connection / contract you use them with. speed can be capped or can be unlimited. if it's capped, it's anywhere from 1mbps up to 20mbps (depending on what you bought) and if it's unlimited it depends if you have a 4g or a 5g connection and what network and how close you are to the next antenna of your mobile provider. so in short: impossible to say

- yes, more than enough for video calls (which you don't need much bandwidth for anyway...) as long as you don't have a connection that is capped at 1mbps. 

there's really no need / point in using a separate sim-card based access point for just a temporary solution (ie you're on holiday for a few weeks); using your phone to create a hotspot is enough for most cases. but of course exceptions apply. 

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

43 minutes ago, petehoax said:

- sure

- depends on the speed of the mobile connection / contract you use them with. speed can be capped or can be unlimited. if it's capped, it's anywhere from 1mbps up to 20mbps (depending on what you bought) and if it's unlimited it depends if you have a 4g or a 5g connection and what network and how close you are to the next antenna of your mobile provider. so in short: impossible to say

- yes, more than enough for video calls (which you don't need much bandwidth for anyway...) as long as you don't have a connection that is capped at 1mbps. 

there's really no need / point in using a separate sim-card based access point for just a temporary solution (ie you're on holiday for a few weeks); using your phone to create a hotspot is enough for most cases. but of course exceptions apply. 

Great info thank you. I’m over for 10 weeks this summer & have to keep a M-F remote work schedule.  Condo I’ve booked has Wifi which I’m told is “fast” but no specifics yet on mbps until I get there.

Either way I’ll need a back up plan. Yes I’ll start with phone hotspot & a local sim & see how we go.

last year I got one of those “unlimited” packages from True mobile, which was not good. I’ve been told it is better to buy a higher priced monthly mobile package for better speed & quality? 

I’ll test various sims during first few days to find out what works best in condo. 

2 hours ago, Fred Basset said:

Great info thank you. I’m over for 10 weeks this summer & have to keep a M-F remote work schedule.  Condo I’ve booked has Wifi which I’m told is “fast” but no specifics yet on mbps until I get there.

Either way I’ll need a back up plan. Yes I’ll start with phone hotspot & a local sim & see how we go.

last year I got one of those “unlimited” packages from True mobile, which was not good. I’ve been told it is better to buy a higher priced monthly mobile package for better speed & quality? 

I’ll test various sims during first few days to find out what works best in condo. 

At least ask them if Its wired or 4g Wifi Routers. My condo's "fast" internet turned out to be garbage 4G Router. Which pretty much stops working after 2PM, probably due to congestion. luckily I do too so not going to be an issue. And my room is probably in a blind spot of 5G range as well as my phone doesn't get great speeds either. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fred Basset said:

last year I got one of those “unlimited” packages from True mobile, which was not good

Yes, unlimited packages are typically capped speed. I buy a package with a certain amount of gigs at "max speed" valid for a certain amount of time. 

• Like 2

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png