IGNORED

Online teacher/classes

roseram88

I am learning Thai from books and have some basic grasp of the language. 

I am looking for an online teacher/courses to practice conversation (speak a sentence or two in a row).

I am looking for personal experiences/recommendations.

I need a teacher that has some structure or plan. Looking for one or two lessons a week. I live in Thailand.

What I don't need:

• "Speak Thai in a week/month/quickly/.."
  • "The most important Thai phrases to get you around"
  • "What do you want to learn today?"
Edited by roseram88

Would be interested in something similar.  

BM Mockingbird has been reporting a little on his online thai learning, not sure if the teacher is looking for more students - 

Have you looked at youtubers?

I like her

She gives online classes, not free obviously. I havent tried it yet.

On 07/05/2023 at 00:49, roseram88 said:

I am learning Thai from books and have some basic grasp of the language. 

I am looking for an online teacher/courses to practice conversation (speak a sentence or two in a row).

I am looking for personal experiences/recommendations.

I need a teacher that has some structure or plan. Looking for one or two lessons a week. I live in Thailand.

What I don't need:

• "Speak Thai in a week/month/quickly/.."
  • "The most important Thai phrases to get you around"
  • "What do you want to learn today?"

7 hours ago, sl4ppy said:

BM Mockingbird has been reporting a little on his online thai learning, not sure if the teacher is looking for more students - 

Hey guys.

Yeah, I'm learning from an online teacher. I find that a private tutor can tailor their teaching to your needs and it can be quite beneficial. At least to me. I believe everyone learns at their own pace, in their own way and I can't really know how that is.

I have been following the ThaiWithMod YouTube channel and find it fun and informative. I also watch Comprehensible Thai channel that advocates shutting up and just listening to hundreds of hours of their teachers having conversations in Thai. I managed to catch some words here and there, but find the videos a chore to listen to after an hour or two.

I was also reading some books on how to read Thai.

My current progress is I have learned to read Thai, but am having trouble with tones and vocabulary.

If you want to engage with Fai, my private tutor, I can ask her if she wants more students. She charges 500 baht per hour of online class.

ThaiWithMod charges less, I think, with something like 4800 for six 2 hour sessions over six weeks or something, but it's done in a conference call with as many as 6-8 students or something. You can also opt for private tutoring with her setup but I don't know how much that is.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@sixmonthnomad1815?sub_confirmation=1

I do videos about being a digital nomad, switching every six months between Malaysia and Pattaya, Thailand or other parts of South East Asia.

56 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

>I have been following the ThaiWithMod YouTube channel and find it fun and informative.<

You can enrol to receive regular new videos. No cost. [email protected]

I receive these regularly; most are good for me as someone who has Thai at good tourist level but no higher. I have a computer file to store ones I want to keep.

For online classes there is a fee, see post above and check online.

• Thanks 1

On 06/05/2023 at 23:49, roseram88 said:

This fits with what you're looking for. While not so important for an online course, Sarah Lee is in Bangkok and previously lived in Canada so her English is fairly unaccented and very easy to understand (IMO).

https://linktr.ee/thaiwithsarah

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I took lessons over Skype years ago (2012) from a woman named Mia who was out of Chang Mai.  Was amazing how much I picked up over 90 days prior to my 2nd trip over. 

Being able to have a rudimentary ability to speak made a huge difference in my future trips.  I can still pull a bit out of the memory banks, and with a bit of teaching it'll all come back quick.

She was "Mia the Thai Teacher" but I don't see her online anymore, would def recommend speaking with a native online over Zoom etc. 

Crazy stressful for the first few weeks, but as I got the hang of it things slowed down for me and I was able to pick up enough to be able to translate from a middle eastern guy in a restauratnt and his server who didn't speak much english. 

Him: eggs sunnyside up Her: ??? 

Me, in Thai, sitting next to the guy at the top of the old PBR: "eggs with eyes"  Her: <smile> dai, ka

"I'd pork her. Or, if her religion forbade pork, I'd beef her. If it turned out she was a vegetarian, I'd give her an extra firm slab of tofu."

• 2 months later...

Give italki a go. It's an online market place for language learners. There are professional and non-professional teachers, 1-on-1 lessons. You can pick the teacher that you like, use Zoom/Skype. There are trial lessons. You can work out a plan with your teacher, make it as casual/non-casual as you want...

For Thai, it can be as cheap as $10/hour.

I've been using it for years, recently for Thai. t's absolutely incredible.

Edited by Shert

The university's actually run courses for Thai language. I was recommended chula but as I am still on a nursing degree in the UK have not had a chance to do it. Bonus the RESPECTABLE university's will also help you with a proper education visa if studying in person as well. 

I will personally try the chula online course from here in the UK when I finish this degree. Have enough on my plate trying to learn medicine 

Chiang mai https://www.human.cmu.ac.th/department.php?lang=eng&org_id=44f683a84163b3523afe57c2e008bc8c&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Bangkok

https://www.arts.chula.ac.th/CTFL/intensivethai/

Edited by poseidon5566

I am seeing good results cracking the alphabet and reading with the rapid method. Tho it's a bit of a mixed bag. Definitely got me from zero to a good way in and nothing else was working. The reason is he actually tells you the sound the letter makes and how to read it with all the associated rules ect. The YouTubers just tell me that ง = nong nu which means zero to me in learning how to read a word with it. 

• Like 1