Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Carry-on luggage question

artinamerica

I haven't used an airline for over 15 years, so I guess some things have changed.

Soon will retire, and start flying between USA and Thailand, and Philippines too.

My question(s):

I will have a carry-on that measures less than 45-inches total, so most airlines will let me stow it overhead as a carry-on.

I will also have a small,thin, backpack that should easily fit under a seat (like I have read of many people doing).

Is there usually room under the seats for this?

And, will I have any hassles about the small backpack, since I have read that some airlines are charging for a second piece of carry-on?

Anybody know for sure?

As far as I am aware you are only allowed one piece of hand luggage per passanger. Anything else must go in the hold. It may vary from airline to airline/country to country though.

Lot more strict than they used to be..One piece of hand luggage is the official allowance restricted to 7 kilo's..

I find flying ex Aust. Singapore Airlines go more by the book than when returning..Laptop no problem to take on as an extra piece..

Why not phone a couple of airlines and clarify ex America...

Don't stick it under the seat ... leg room is cramped enough .. in the overhead everytime.

Suggest you check the airline website re rules for luggage becasue they usually state clearly what is allowed and what is not.

Most allow one carry on bag in economy plus a computer bag. Different in business class.

It depends on the airline, and perhaps how busy they are on that flight. I have seen asian girls on Air asia with 3 pieces of carryon. Also, they dont seem to count a womans handbag as a piece of carryon.? Perhaps take a "man bag" !!! Suggest you call your airline and check with them.

Edited by biggles

I checked with several airlines, and they say ONE carry-on, and ONE "personal piece" of something (like a laptop) -- so, it depends on what they decide it a "personal piece".

Maybe I will abandon the backpack idea, and just wear a biggish fanny-pack thingy.

Edited by artinamerica

As far as I have seen, coming from America myself, it usually depends on the airline. Because it is an international flight you are looking at, many people have a computer bag, and a carry-on bag, which as far as I know, is allowed with most airlines. So if your computer bag happens to be a backpack, then I think you are alright. Just verify that with your airline/airlines to be sure, and go into detail with the type of bags to ensure you are settled.

I haven't used an airline for over 15 years, so I guess some things have changed.

Soon will retire, and start flying between USA and Thailand, and Philippines too.

My question(s):

I will have a carry-on that measures less than 45-inches total, so most airlines will let me stow it overhead as a carry-on.

I will also have a small,thin, backpack that should easily fit under a seat (like I have read of many people doing).

And, will I have any hassles about the small backpack, since I have read that some airlines are charging for a second piece of carry-on?

Anybody know for sure?

The standard carry on luggage is a max of 7Kg with the max dimensions of 56cm X 36cm X 23cm.

I hope this is useful

Cheers

Highlander

Flying from the US one carry on bag, one personal and I have also worn a large fanny pack....so there... United, Continental, Cathay Pacific, NWA and Thai.

I have stowed both the carry on and the laptop case on top. Only the fanny pack goes under the seat or next to me.

My question(s):

I will also have a small, thin, backpack that should easily fit under a seat (like I have read of many people doing).

Anybody know for sure?

It depends on airline and how full the plane on how they enforce the rules. That said, the rules are (from US on the major US carriers).

One carry-on in addition to one briefcase, laptop or personal bag (backpack, purse, diaperbag, etc.). The other thing you need to worry about (and probably more important than size or number of bags) is the liquids. No more than 3 oz in a 3 oz bottle per item wrapped in gallon size zip-lock bag. So if you have a 5 oz bottle that is obviously less than 1/2 full, they confiscate. Toothpaste counts as a Liquid so no big tubes. (but you can have as many small tubes as you would like)

As far as underseat storage, as long as you're not in the front row of a section, you'll be fine. The other question is do you really want to sit like that for 10-12 hours at a time unable to stretch legs without shifting bags???

Obviously the emptier the flight, the less hassle you get.

Edited by arbiez

Check seatguru.com for the seat you have, some seats have the entertainment box under the seat so that there is less room to store items. I'm flying continental in June and plan to have a carryon plus a moderately empty backpack so that I don't have to check luggage.

Edited by OKAY

Arent the life jackets kept under the seat??

Ya dont really wanna be fighting with a backpack under there if the shit hits the fan.

Thanks to all for the input!

I will try one of the airlines named in this thread, as my first choices when price checking for buying tickets.

I think I will see if I can get enough stuff into my carry-on (45-inch max) -- if not, I iwll go with a LIGHTLY-packed small backpack (really one of those LL BEAN "daypacks" types, not really a big full-bore backpack -- and a fanny pack on my waist.

I will check with each ailine (again) just before actually booking and paying for a seat.

I will use Travelocity or one of those places on the net, I iwll check ThatiVisa Travel, too, for their prices, when the time to buy happens.