Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Soul Food

CliffHitMan

Curious to know if there is any American "Southern" Style Soul Food places In Pattaya?

There's Cajun Life Cafe, Pratamnak Soi 5, more Cajun than southern. Po boy's, gumbo, etc. I have yet to try, but I love a good gumbo. 

The southern restaurant that was on lengkee closed after 6 months or so during covid. 

Tigglebitties for biscuits and gravy. 

There’s also Kickin Chicken on Pratamnak Soi 5.  Not sure what’s all on the full menu. But they do have chicken, collard greens, cornbread,Mac&cheese.

I was not quite finished with my last post! :)

Yes Cajun Life does not serve soul food, and southern food is not the same as soul food!

Yupa's was the soul food restaurant on Soi Lengkee. Covid was not the major factor in it's closure. There were other factors involved as well.

I know Johnny the guy who opened it along with his TGF Yupa.

Kickin Chicken is the soul food restaurant that is located on Pratumnak Soi 5. It was opened by a guy name Tommy and his TGF Pear, who was a cook at Yupa's.

The food is ok for some, but after eating there a couple times me and some friends stopped eating there months and months ago.

For us it was a combination of things, limited soul food choices (Yupa had a good selection of different dishes), the service, and the way the food and especially one dish in particular was prepared.

Anyone who knows and has had collard greens know that honey is not an ingredient used when preparing collard greens! 

After going a couple times after the opening we inquired about the different taste/flavor of the greens. Pear told us she added honey....maybe to this day still does! 

Biscuits and gravy is not soul food. I never ate it that often and never had it here in Thailand.

Ok so on 1 May a brand new soul food restaurant will be opening by a friend. It's located at one the Riviera Condo on Jomtien 2nd Rd...right out front where the offices are.

I will provide more information and add here as soon as possible.

Screenshot_20230415-054232_Dropbox.jpg

Screenshot_20230415-053658_Dropbox.jpg

Screenshot_20230415-052646_Dropbox.jpg

Screenshot_20230415-052549_Dropbox.jpg

Screenshot_20230415-052522_Dropbox.jpg

Screenshot_20230415-052501_Dropbox.jpg

Edited by Rocketboy

Thanks for the info, RB!  Yupa's was open and closed before I even had a chance to go.  Even the place that came after it went OOB was gone by the time I got there.

One question on Kickin Chicken -- is it "regular" fried chicken or that "Nashville hot" chicken that more and more places here in the USA seem to be serving?

Looking forward to getting the word on the new place in Riviera Condo as that date draws closer. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rocketboy said:

Anyone who knows and has had collard greens know that honey is not an ingredient used when preparing collard greens! 

One can hardly trust a culture that likes to add ketchup to their pizza, smh. 

I kid, I kid.

On 15/04/2023 at 12:17, NotSoCheapCharlie said:

One can hardly trust a culture that likes to add ketchup to their pizza, smh. 

I kid, I kid.

555, I see people add it to eggs! Not appealing at all to me. I only add it to French fries!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 15/04/2023 at 07:46, Rocketboy said:

I was not quite finished with my last post! :)

Yes Cajun Life does not serve soul food, and southern food is not the same as soul food!

Yupa's was the soul food restaurant on Soi Lengkee. Covid was not the major factor in it's closure. There were other factors involved as well.

I know Johnny the guy who opened it along with his TGF Yupa.

Kickin Chicken is the soul food restaurant that is located on Pratumnak Soi 5. It was opened by a guy name Tommy and his TGF Pear, who was a cook at Yupa's.

The food is ok for some, but after eating there a couple times me and some friends stopped eating there months and months ago.

For us it was a combination of things, limited soul food choices (Yupa had a good selection of different dishes), the service, and the way the food and especially one dish in particular was prepared.

After going a couple times after the opening we inquired about the different taste/flavor of the greens. Pear told us she added honey....maybe to this day still does! 

Biscuits and gravy is not soul food. I never ate it that often and never had it here in Thailand.

Ok so on 1 May a brand new soul food restaurant will be opening by a friend. It's located at one the Riviera Condo on Jomtien 2nd Rd...right out front where the offices are.

Screenshot_20230415-054232_Dropbox.jpg

Screenshot_20230415-053658_Dropbox.jpg

Screenshot_20230415-052646_Dropbox.jpg

Screenshot_20230415-052549_Dropbox.jpg

Screenshot_20230415-052522_Dropbox.jpg

Screenshot_20230415-052501_Dropbox.jpg

Did that soul food place at the Riviera Condo Jomtien ever open? If so, any information? If not, will it later?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

There is no honey in the collard greens.  I know for sure there is not.  I'm not sure why pear would say that but it probably because to many ppl asking about recipes.  People dont go to KFC and ask what's in the food.  Yes the menu is limited but it is growing.  We only been open just over a year.  I'm coming back soon and I'll be adding some new items to the menu.  I'm also looking forward to dining at the other soul food place in Riviera.  I believe the name is qulture, and the food looks really good.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Your curiosity about finding American "Southern" style Soul Food in Pattaya is intriguing. While I can't provide specific details about Pattaya, I can suggest a few tips to help you on your culinary quest.

• Like 1

On 14/04/2023 at 17:46, Rocketboy said:

On 19/05/2023 at 15:16, Kreggerz said:

Did that soul food place at the Riviera Condo Jomtien ever open? If so, any information? If not, will it later?

Bumping this to see if the soul food place ever opened in Jomtien, and, if it did, whether it is STILL open and any feedback on the food.

Thanks!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wyantee said:

Your curiosity about finding American "Southern" style Soul Food in Pattaya is intriguing. While I can't provide specific details about Pattaya, I can suggest a few tips to help you on your culinary quest.

Firstly, try searching online for breakfast places near me or "Southern Soul Food restaurants in Pattaya." You might come across local spots that offer the comfort and flavors of Southern cuisine.
Additionally, don't hesitate to ask locals or fellow travelers for recommendations. Often, the best food finds are shared through word of mouth, and you might uncover some hidden gems that way.

Edited by Wyantee
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Bumping this to see if the soul food place ever opened in Jomtien, and, if it did, whether it is STILL open and any feedback on the food.

Thanks!

@Rocketboy should know, but I haven't seen him post lately. I haven't made it over to Jomtien to check for myself. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, frantick said:

@Rocketboy should know, but I haven't seen him post lately. I haven't made it over to Jomtien to check for myself. 

Ok so it's not really a soul food restaurant. He does or did at one time have Soul Food Sunday. I never went, actually only been there twice.

I had two pancakes, two scrambled eggs and two sausage patties. They were great though pricey for me at over 400฿! Can get this same great tasting meal at Sunflour on Pratumnak Soi 4 ....for way less!

Next I went we had burgers mine was way too salty. I haven't been back in awhile.

Give it try and see what you think!

Screenshot_20231212-074727_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231212-074736_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231212-074745_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231212-074756_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231212-074804_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231212-074830_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231212-074837_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Rocketboy
  • Like 4