IGNORED

Arriving Jan 2024, How far in advance should I book my flight?

Curator

I'm retiring December 31st.  Was thinking of making the trip to BKK around Jan 8th 2024 for a long stay in Pattaya.  Turn myself into an expat and do some wandering around Thailand for a few years.  It's only March 30th so that's like nine months away.  Too soon?  Should I wait till June before I buy my ticket?  Another side question....  How much is the Chinese New Year going to screw up my hotel plans in Pattaya for January?

I have already booked my tickets for December.  That is a heavy travel time. Seats will be available up to departure, But prices will only go up.  Google flights will give you historic prices for your route. If you find a good route and a good price, lock it in then you've got it.

You should also get your hotel booked now. Rooms will always be available. but the most popular hotels with the best prices will be booked.

Chinese New Year will have no effect on your travels.

Edited by SlowlyMan
  • Like 2

I haven't taken such a long trip since my days in the military 25+ years ago.   Explain something for me...

Qatar Airways 732 departs DFW on Mon, Jan 8 @ 10:55 PM, and lands at DOH after more than 14 hr flight time for a 4 hour layover.

Depart DOH Qatar Airways 836, Airbus A380-800 @2:20 AM for a 6 hr 20 min trip to BKK where I arrive at 12:40 PM?   2:20 AM + 6 hr 20 min doesn't come to 12:40 PM.

What happened to 4 hours?  Is this cause I passed the international dateline?  On what day would I land at BKK?  Would this still be Jan 9th?

Start looking now.   If you have a idea of what a reasonable fare is and you see it and you’re sure you’re going…buy it

5 minutes ago, Curator said:

Depart DOH Qatar Airways 836, Airbus A380-800 @2:20 AM for a 6 hr 20 min trip to BKK where I arrive at 12:40 PM?   2:20 AM + 6 hr 20 min doesn't come to 12:40 PM.

What happened to 4 hours?  Is this cause I passed the international dateline?  On what day would I land at BKK?  Would this still be Jan 9th?

Google says

... between Bangkok and Doha, you need to consider that the cities are in different time zones. Bangkok is 4 hours ahead of Doha.
#
When you are flying eastward from USA to Thailand, you do not cross the International Date Line.

However if you fly westward from USA to Thailand, you do cross the International Date Line in the Pacific Ocean.
image.png.f8a6a32828c50344fe6d65bb260e1123.pngimage.png.f8a6a32828c50344fe6d65bb260e1123.png
Please see your World Atlas.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Qatar is excellent by the way. The Q Suite will spoil you. The Doho terminal has Plenty to do and the lounge is great.

4 hours ago, Curator said:

I'm retiring December 31st.  Was thinking of making the trip to BKK around Jan 8th 2024 for a long stay in Pattaya.  Turn myself into an expat and do some wandering around Thailand for a few years.  It's only March 30th so that's like nine months away.  Too soon?  Should I wait till June before I buy my ticket?  Another side question....  How much is the Chinese New Year going to screw up my hotel plans in Pattaya for January?

For a long stay (30+ days), a condo rental may work best

Chinese New Year is 10 Feb 2024 (start )

Flight plans can wait till Jun/Jul

I'd start reading up on retirement visas and opening a bank account. It's not as simple as just deciding to move there...

• Like 1

Curator,

You are going to Thailand for a few years, never having been there, or at least not for 25 years? 

You might want to do a shorter trip first to see if you really like it.

And there's the question of visas. If you're first arriving on a tourist visa, immigration could ask to see your return ticket. (Never have asked me) And to stay there longer than 30 days (45?) you will need to figure out your visa strategy.

1 minute ago, briguy said:

I'd start reading up on retirement visas and opening a bank account. It's not as simple as just deciding to move there...

I have been... for more than a year.

2 minutes ago, Biennial said:

Curator,

You are going to Thailand for a few years, never having been there, or at least not for 25 years? 

Been there twice.  First was back in the late 90's, and again in 2004.  Spent time in Korea, Japan, and the Philippines during my military service.  I'm pretty sure I'll like it.

4 minutes ago, briguy said:

I think it is, enter on visa exempt, employ a visa agent to organise your next visa, retirement visa and bank account, pay about 30k and you’re good to go for the next  15 months, it’s pretty simple compared to what western countries would require. 

• Like 3

Here' a blog on Google Travel's airfare tracking tool - it could be helpful:
https://www.godsavethepoints.com/predict-flight-prices-google-flights/

I book using miles, so I book WAAAAAY out -- already booked my February 2024 trip.

I don't know if you're planning to spring for business class, but I would highly recommend at least booking premium economy. The extra 3 or 4 inches of legroom makes a HUGE difference.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Biennial said:

If you're first arriving on a tourist visa, immigration could ask to see your return ticket

Onward ticket. Which could make a significant difference. 

• Like 1

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

27 minutes ago, Thomaz73 said:

What destination do ya'll typically choose for your throwaway ticket?

18 minutes ago, Curator said:

What destination do ya'll typically choose for your throwaway ticket?

One of the neighbouring countries. Been a while, for me, though. Kuala Lumpur was often my cheap burner ticket. 

56 minutes ago, Thomaz73 said:

Yes this is concerning me. I will arrive on a O visa 90 day. Will be staying and retirement 

single or return ticket ?   Getting some conflicting answers

think I will contact airline see what they say 

thanks 

1 hour ago, nunchuck said:

I will contact airline see what they say 

With a visa, airlines are unlikely to care about onward travel. 

"arrive on a O visa 90 day."    This is throwing me.   I thought the 90 day was just an extension of your 30 day tourist visa.  You cannot get the Non O until you arrive in country and apply for one.  It was my understanding that you arrive on a tourist and then once you are there can then apply for a 90 day extension, then apply for the 15 month Non O.  Am I wrong.

13 minutes ago, Curator said:

"arrive on a O visa 90 day."    This is throwing me.   I thought the 90 day was just an extension of your 30 day tourist visa.  You cannot get the Non O until you arrive in country and apply for one.  It was my understanding that you arrive on a tourist and then once you are there can then apply for a 90 day extension, then apply for the 15 month Non O.  Am I wrong.

You can get a Non O visa ‘for Retirement’ in your own country before travelling. Some countries don’t issue them. The Thai Embassy/Consulates in the USA do issue them, though they didn’t use to a few years ago.

This gives you 90-days on entry which you can then extend by 12-months, and keep extending each year.

This is what I did for my trip last November. I’m now all good until February 2024.

Edit: if you arrive on a Tourist Visa (which is 60 days) or even on Visa Exempt entry (which I guess is the 30 days you are talking about) you can then convert to a Non O. If you use an agent then they’ll do the first Extension at the same time as the conversion which is where the 15 months comes from.

• Like 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

10 hours ago, Curator said:

Been there twice.  First was back in the late 90's, and again in 2004.  Spent time in Korea, Japan, and the Philippines during my military service.  I'm pretty sure I'll like it.

I wouldn't be all that concerned. In my own case, I came to Pattaya on a three-week vacation in 2010. In the summer of 2011, I retired. In the fall of 2011, I moved to Pattaya. I've been in Thailand ever since. There's a lot to like here. 🙂

As an aside, I spent time in P.I. during my military service. It's a large part of why I never really considered retiring to P.I. 555

2 hours ago, davidge said:

You can get a Non O visa ‘for Retirement’ in your own country before travelling.

Is it safe to say, if you want to avoid the throw away ticket get a Non O Visa before you fly.  If you plan on flying in on a tourist visa, plan on buying a throw away ticket showing you leaving Thailand within 30 days.

1 minute ago, Curator said:

Is it safe to say, if you want to avoid the throw away ticket get a Non O Visa before you fly.  If you plan on flying in on a tourist visa, plan on buying a throw away ticket showing you leaving Thailand within 30 days.

Basically, yes. Though nothing is definite when dealing with airline check in staff. 
When I flew out she just asked if I had a visa but didn’t want to see it.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

22 hours ago, Curator said:

I haven't taken such a long trip since my days in the military 25+ years ago.   Explain something for me...

Qatar Airways 732 departs DFW on Mon, Jan 8 @ 10:55 PM, and lands at DOH after more than 14 hr flight time for a 4 hour layover.

Every hour and date they give you is the local time and date of the country the plane is landing or departing.

Edited by PattayaSuperman

Flights can easily be booked now for next January so I'd personally buy and lock in now. Maybe also buy a flexible ticket direct with the airline in case you want to delay your outward flight. Prices are high though but reckon they will go higher for January 2024 if you wait much longer.