Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Building a fence

bargepole

Has anyone built a fence recently?  In particular has anyone used PPFence?  If so, what is your opinion?

PPFence sell wire mesh fences made in New Zealand.  They advertise an 80 year warranty.  That is a long time.  I cannot imagine any steel mesh fence lasting that period of time regardless of galvernising or any other protection.

The proof of course is in the wearing … and in the warranty conditions.  The following is a translation of those warranty conditions.  The comments in red are mine.  They are opinions only and I respect that yours may differ and comments are welcome:

10 year installation warranty
Lifetime warranty of 10 and 80 years as detailed below.
Warranty conditions for PP Fence fence system
1 Free fence repair service for a period of 10 years from the date of Hand over the installation of the fence system by Mr. PP throughout the country in the case of
where the fence sags or falls off the pole, the pole withdraws or leans until it is not in the original line and is not suitable for use due to
install
2 repair or replacement service if found that the fence or pole is out of use due to natural decay
by rust that grows evenly throughout the roll or the whole tree (Not rust that occurs only in certain areas) in a period of 10 years for
Areas that are 30-70 km. from the sea and 80 years for areas that are > 70 km. from the sea (can check the number of years received
Product warranty for 10 years or 80 years from the product warranty label attached on the fence)  So if you are within 30km from the sea you have no warranty at all for the wire fence.  According to google that is 43% of Thailand.  I suspect that it may be up to 80% properties with a farang (just a guess).  If you are up to 70 km from the sea you get 10 years warranty.  That is a further 29% of the country.  that leaves only 28% of the country eligible for the 80 year warranty.  

I am not a fence expert so I could be wrong, but after 60 years of owning dogs and horses, I have never seen a fence deteriorate evenly.  It depends on the weather conditions, the direction of the wind, how much shelter there is from buildings or trees, how much moisture there is around if there are bushes nearby and a myriad of other things both explainable and not.  If you take the roll of fence around the corner of your property it will experience different conditions.  After 60 years of owning dogs and horses I have never seen a fence last that long either.

3You can only claim if the entire roll of fence has deteriorated evenly.   The fence system must be installed by Mr. PP and use all PP Fence products only.  There is no warranty at all if you put up the fence yourself or have another contractor do it
4 The customer must give consent to the company. to inspect the condition of the fence at any time as requested by the Company
5 The company reserves the right to change the warranty conditions without prior notice.  WOW!!!
The warranty does not include the following cases.
Unrelated damage and deterioration from product manufacturing and installation, such as
1 Damage from use such as damage caused by animals, exposure to various wastes, exposure to chemicals, etc.
2 Damage from accidents such as car crashes, fences being hooked by machines, trees falling on or crowding, etc.
3 Unusual environmental damage such as flooding, water erosion, storms and fires, other natural disasters.
4 Damage caused by improper land reclamation, such as soil slides
5 unsuitable soil conditions such as new land that is not firm enough, different levels that have some points where the fence touches or embeds the soil
6 Other uses In addition to being a fence
7 The warranty label for the fence is lost or not stamped on the date. delivery of work and Number of years of warranty

1-4, and 6  Ok I get these

5 You only have a warranty at all if PPfence instal the fence, so why is the condition of the land not taken into account at that time and the fence built appropriately?  Also the fence wire comes in rolls of 50m.  it is straight when it is unrolled.  It does not follow the curvature of the land so it is inevitable that parts must be buried slightly else there would be gaps under the fence.  This is particularly if the fence is stock fence made to contain animals as advertised on their site.  Maybe I am misunderstanding how the fence will be put up?

7  You only get any warranty at all if the original identification label is still attached to the fence after the 80 years.  You get nothing if it has been lost or removed.  It seems to me extremely unlikely that any label however it is attached will still be present and readable after all that time, particularly if the condition of the fence has deteriorated.

Lastly, and not part of the warranty ... I got a quote from PPfence, but found that it was with a company called Finfinity and not with PP fence.  I am not experienced in Thai law but is it is possible that this could be an issue if it came to enforcing a claim?  Others may comment on that.

Overall there seem to be many get outs in the warranty.  That of course would not matter one bit if the company was one that respected its customers.  So have any of you had experience of PPfence?

I have, but not of a warranty claim.  I bought a fence from them but I live by the sea, so I am excluded from any warranty.  I can tell you that my fence lasted 5 years before I had to mend holes, and 7 years before it needed to be totally replaced.  Even though I am near to the beach I was disappointed.  With all the advertising of 80 years I hoped to get rather longer than that.  Interested to know what your expectations might have been.

So now I am looking to buy a new fence.  There is another company for which I have seen good reports.  Boon Vanit sells fences that seem to be of similar design and quality but these ones are made in Australia.  Boon Vanit only sells the fence but does not instal

l them.  I think it only sells the wire, so you would have to source your posts separately and find some3one to build the fence for you.  However I am seriously thinking of using Boon Vanit this time around.  They have been much more helpful than other companies I have contacted.  I spoke to a guy called Yok. Has anyone else used these guys?

There are also companies that make panels of steel mesh fence, similar to those used by the Thai railways.  These look strong and long lasting but I already have concrete posts erected and they will not be of the exact distance to accommodate fixed length panels.

Looking forward to your comments and posts.

26 minutes ago, bargepole said:

Has anyone built a fence recently?  In particular has anyone used PPFence?  If so, what is your opinion?

not sure on my answer. have to sit on the fence with this query

• Haha 2

Edited by Edge