IGNORED

Retirement Visa

kimindm

I'm from the United States & I'm retiring to

Thailand within the next 3 months. Should I get

a retirement visa in the United Staes or wait until

I get to Thailand? Also, any suggestions as to which

companies to use would be appreciated. THANKS

The nearest Thai Embassy in your own country will give you all thi info you require

Give 'em a call or email

Hedonist

No bad grammer or spelling mistakes here !!!!

Its the all new language i have invented called "Typonese"

Copies of the book and DVDs are on sale and are availible at the main desc at the exit sine

It's actually cheaper and easier to get it in Thailand. That is comparing coming in with a tourist or Non-O and then doing the year extension based on retirement to getting a Non-OA in the US. I'm on my 3rd annual extension.

Being from the US helps because the embassy income letter is easier to get than from some other embassies. Doing it in Pattaya is also easier than some other immigration offices.

If you can get a Non-O from one of the honorary consulates that would be the best thing to do although a tourist visa can be converted to a Non-O and then you get the year extension. The official consulates or the Thai Embassy are harder to deal with although they will give you a visa if you meet the requirements.

The actual retirement visa can only be obtained here in Thailand. But you can, and should, get a Non Immigrant Type O in the States before you leave. That will be good for multiple entries, 1 year, you will need to do visa runs to the border every 90 days. Once you arrive on that Visa, you can go ahead with the process of converting it to a Retirement Visa. The process is cumbersome, a bit silly in parts, but if you meet the requirements, pretty easy to do. I paid an agent for help with my first Retirement Visa, 10k baht, did my second one, the renewal by myself.

Rick

a Non-OA is the visa that can actually be called a retirement visa and can only be obtained in your HOME country.

A Non-O can can be EXTENDED for a year based on retirement (or marriage) in Thailand. Afterwards you would keep doing annual extensions.