IGNORED

Solo Golf Trip advice needed

JimmyNZ

Hi all

I have a group of mates I play golf with and we have an annual trip which this year is supposed to be in Bangkok. For a bunch of reasons this isn't happening anymore, but I had (have) my heart set on going. I don't normally do this and prefer a group, but the golf looks amazing, and it was going to give me a chance to drop in to Pattaya for a brief visit. I can only spare 10 days so its not going to be a long trip.

I'm looking at the courses and there seems to be a lot to choose from. Was thinking of playing 4 or 5 courses then a few days in pattaya before heading back. 

How easy is it to play golf by yourself in Thailand? Do clubs let you / make you join other single players? In NZ you normally book as a single and other people book that tee time and you end up playing with them. Not sure what's normal in LOS though so any advice would be welcome.

I've read some of the reports from @Tuna Town (thx for them) and looks like I'll have to book early and play by myself. No real problems with this but thought I'd ask.

It’s been a while but  certainly playing during the week I found the courses had plenty of room for a solo.   I’ve been asked a couple of times if I wanted to join another solo….they seemed happy either way.   Meet some nice people.

On 05/02/2023 at 10:58, JimmyNZ said:

Hi all

I have a group of mates I play golf with and we have an annual trip which this year is supposed to be in Bangkok. For a bunch of reasons this isn't happening anymore, but I had (have) my heart set on going. I don't normally do this and prefer a group, but the golf looks amazing, and it was going to give me a chance to drop in to Pattaya for a brief visit. I can only spare 10 days so its not going to be a long trip.

I'm looking at the courses and there seems to be a lot to choose from. Was thinking of playing 4 or 5 courses then a few days in pattaya before heading back. 

How easy is it to play golf by yourself in Thailand? Do clubs let you / make you join other single players? In NZ you normally book as a single and other people book that tee time and you end up playing with them. Not sure what's normal in LOS though so any advice would be welcome.

I've read some of the reports from @Tuna Town (thx for them) and looks like I'll have to book early and play by myself. No real problems with this but thought I'd ask.

Not really hard 

Book early via email or LINE is how I do most of them. 

Not often I have to make a phone call though Pattaya courses are usually good for English speaking staff 

Usually start booking about a week before 

Nearly all courses you can play as a one. 

Laem Chabang and the Siam courses have their own rules you have to comply with as a single such as teeing off at certain times and maybe being grouped with others

It may seem a challenge but once you have done it you will realise it is pretty easy 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards a few days in Bangkok playing as many top courses as I can, and then head to patts for a more relaxed time. Some of the Bangkok courses look amazing. Was thinking potentially Thai Country club, Thana City and Royal Gems in BKK. 

I might join one of the societies for a day, but I like the idea of having a round and then heading off soon after that. 

In Pattaya I have found the option of playing with a Bar Society was a good one for a solo traveler.

I played with The Golf Club(LK Metro) on my last trip in 2019, but this has changed hands/been renamed now and doesn't seen to offer golf.

I will be looking to play with I Rovers(LK Metro, they play twice a week) and Travelers Rest(Soi Lengkee, they play Monday to Saturday) on my next trip.

There are plenty of other Bars in town have Societies, a lot of which are listed on the Pattaya Sports Club website https://pattayasports.org/ . Membership of PSC also entitles you to discounts at a lot of the local Golf Courses.

"I thought I wanted a Career. Turns out I just wanted a paycheck to buy plane tickets to Thailand."

My Previous Trip Report:

A Fresh Start: 1st Trip Report after 17 Trips

I haven't golfed regularly in close to half a decade and was never very good to begin with.  Would I just be embarrassing myself if I tried to play a round or is it likely there would be other skill-less individuals just whacking it down the fairway as best they can?

Alternatively does anyone know if any driving ranges offer clubs for rent?

On 07/02/2023 at 20:41, JimmyNZ said:

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards a few days in Bangkok playing as many top courses as I can, and then head to patts for a more relaxed time. Some of the Bangkok courses look amazing. Was thinking potentially Thai Country club, Thana City and Royal Gems in BKK. 

I might join one of the societies for a day, but I like the idea of having a round and then heading off soon after that. 

Thana City is a great course, Green Valley and Muang Kaew, just over the road are really nice. Download the GolfDigg app and book on there, they will likely pair you up with another Lone Ranger when teeing off  

32 minutes ago, rusty_venture said:

I haven't golfed regularly in close to half a decade and was never very good to begin with.  Would I just be embarrassing myself if I tried to play a round or is it likely there would be other skill-less individuals just whacking it down the fairway as best they can?

Alternatively does anyone know if any driving ranges offer clubs for rent?

They all do 

48 minutes ago, Gonetothedogs said:

Thana City is a great course, Green Valley and Muang Kaew, just over the road are really nice. Download the GolfDigg app and book on there, they will likely pair you up with another Lone Ranger when teeing off  

Appreciate the recommendations. Thank you.

On 05/02/2023 at 10:58, JimmyNZ said:

Hi all

links bar - M,W & f - soi buakhao

travellers rest- soi lengkee

contact both via their websites, very good and welcoming golf societies,

single is no problem.

good golf courses, rolls royce service, well priced.

Edited by aussielongboat

On 08/02/2023 at 06:41, JimmyNZ said:

Play the Windmill mate it's a nice course.

54 minutes ago, ABUnderpar said:

Play the Windmill mate it's a nice course.

Where is that mate?

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it

Sex is a bit like oxygen, unimportant until you are not getting enough!

www.sugarcanemafia.com

Thanks all. 

I've looked at the golfing groups and they seem to give me options in Pattaya. I definitely want to play a few courses outside BKK so will check in a few months on what courses they're playing in Sep / Oct. 

Thx

4 hours ago, deano4598 said:

Where is that mate?

Bang Na Trat Road, next to Thana

It’s decent, good club house, floodlights etc. 

Hate the 600 yard par 5, first hole. Utterly soul destroying 

Edited by Gonetothedogs

18 hours ago, deano4598 said:

Where is that mate?

Bangkok 

You can see it when you fly into Swampy as it not far from there 

My advice is play from any bar that runs golf, these guys get good rates to take, say, 20+ guys, playing solo at a course you’ll get stung and probably end up with a bunch of Koreans for a soul destroying 4-5 hours.

On 14/02/2023 at 11:42, ronthebrummie said:

My advice is play from any bar that runs golf, these guys get good rates to take, say, 20+ guys, playing solo at a course you’ll get stung and probably end up with a bunch of Koreans for a soul destroying 4-5 hours.

You obviously ain't played golf on your own in LoS much 

If you ain't going on a weekend or a public holiday you will be fine playing alone

The Koreans are out mainly on weekends and although an occupational hazard can be avoided 

Most courses have promotions on during the week and you will get on for the promotion rate anyway so I don't see why you think someone will get stung 

I play on my own and am around in 2-3 hours most days 

I then don't have to put up with the chronic fuck arseing about with golf bars at the first tee with the disorganised way they are run and back in the bar where the presentation is dragged out as long as possible to keep you in the bar 

5 hours ago, Tuna Town said:

You obviously ain't played golf on your own in LoS much 

If you ain't going on a weekend or a public holiday you will be fine playing alone

The Koreans are out mainly on weekends and although an occupational hazard can be avoided 

Most courses have promotions on during the week and you will get on for the promotion rate anyway so I don't see why you think someone will get stung 

I play on my own and am around in 2-3 hours most days 

I then don't have to put up with the chronic fuck arseing about with golf bars at the first tee with the disorganised way they are run and back in the bar where the presentation is dragged out as long as possible to keep you in the bar 

Strange that, I played with a bar today was on bus 1 at 9 was 2 out showered bussed back and in the bar for just turned 3, meal and back at my hotel for 4.

As always, like everything in life YMMV

3 hours ago, ronthebrummie said:

Strange that, I played with a bar today was on bus 1 at 9 was 2 out showered bussed back and in the bar for just turned 3, meal and back at my hotel for 4.

As always, like everything in life YMMV

Most days for me Tee off at 9 and in showered and back on the road by 12

Back in town before one 

Playing with a golf bar is only stealing time from people as it eats into your entire day 

When you are in Pattaya on a holiday time is valuable and ain't to be wasted 

11 hours ago, Tuna Town said:

Most days for me Tee off at 9 and in showered and back on the road by 12

Back in town before one 

Playing with a golf bar is only stealing time from people as it eats into your entire day 

When you are in Pattaya on a holiday time is valuable and ain't to be wasted 

We’ll agree to disagree 

On 07/02/2023 at 04:32, Tuna Town said:

Not really hard 

Book early via email or LINE is how I do most of them. 

Not often I have to make a phone call though Pattaya courses are usually good for English speaking staff 

Usually start booking about a week before 

Nearly all courses you can play as a one. 

Laem Chabang and the Siam courses have their own rules you have to comply with as a single such as teeing off at certain times and maybe being grouped with others

It may seem a challenge but once you have done it you will realise it is pretty easy 

@JimmyNZ good info from Tuna Town . Put a line thru the Siam courses until at least May. The Old course is closed for the Honda LPGA will reopen for 1 week then close again for 6 months. At the moemnt the other 3 course are booked out well in advance & last I heard had stopped the single golfers. may be able to join up with a 2 or 3 ball but seriously pot luck.

• Thanks 2

I just got back from a month in Pattaya. Played 20 rounds of golf as a single. Played thru Thaiger Line golf. What I enjoy about Thaiger Line is that golf is the the only business they do. Fabian tends to put people together who are similar in background and language. I am an American and I mostly got paired up with Europeans and Canadians. The big reason I like Thaiger Line is you get a choice between 2 courses everyday. This trip, he was also going to the premium courses such as Siam, LC and Chee Chan.

The only reason I come to Pattaya now is to play golf. So if I leave the golf shop at 11 am and get back at 5:30, it is no problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1