IGNORED

Translate Aussie slang into Thai

dawg73

Hey folks,

So during my last trip to LOS, I spent a few days with a non working girl I met on Thai Friendly - really great chick, and I plan on seeing her again in March.  Anyway, she could be quite a cheeky little minx so I called her a smartarse - she asked what that meant, but with her limited English I was at a loss to explain.  I later thought of using google translate, but I don't think I'd get a meaningful translation just by translating the words smart and arse.  I'm just wondering - is there an equivalent Thai expression?

You are best keeping away from slang. 

And saying the word Bullshit is very offensive in Thai. 

Just my humble opinion

3 minutes ago, Harry Brown said:

You are best keeping away from slang. 

And saying the word Bullshit is very offensive in Thai. 

Just my humble opinion

Yes, I agree.

I used the term Smart Ass with a Chinese girl I dated.

For me, I was being flirtatious but for her it was very offensive.

It took me several days to explain it using different Chinese translators.

The first two did not know the term and told me it was offensive.

Finally the third one knew the term and did her best to soften the words in Chinese terms.

• Like 2

I'm still stuck trying to translate Aussie slang to English. 

I've used the expression "sharp tongue" and they did understand that (Talk to mut)

Bullshit said in Thai slang is rude and they will take offense to it

Toleh is the word (toe-lay)

Use it with discretion and be ready for a mean look on her face

Edited by Greg_B

The easiest way is to use an acronym like cheeky or something similar.

Use a Thai translator and ask her the meaning and if its a bad word. Dont use the word against her.

If she laughs, you know its all good. If she tries to take a swing at you, duck and roll and try a different acronym.

On the topic of smartasses... synonym not acronym :)

But I agree, just don't overdoe sarcasm or cheeky compliments... unless the girl is westernized enough. 

Edited by chris-11

When I google translated “smart ass” to Thai and back to English it said “cunning”. Then, I did the same with “smart arse” and it came back as “clever”. Neither one really fits.

• Like 2

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

2 hours ago, shonkyimp said:

The easiest way is to use an acronym like cheeky or something similar.

Use a Thai translator and ask her the meaning and if its a bad word. Dont use the word against her.

If she laughs, you know its all good. If she tries to take a swing at you, duck and roll and try a different acronym.

They used to look at me confused when I'd use the word cheeky , the closest word that could be used was "Talung"  very hard to pronounce though.

What was not helpful was that in the early days when I'd try to speak thai, the girls would just nod along as if they understood, rather than correct me when I made mistakes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, forqalso said:

When I google translated “smart ass” to Thai and back to English it said “cunning”. Then, I did the same with “smart arse” and it came back as “clever”. Neither one really fits.

Correct, then they have to wonder if we're joking or not. otherwise they will take us literally.

I've blurted out the word Fkin Dickhead often when someone tries to run me over by running a red light at a pedestrian crossing.

My TG was curious, so I explained it and taught her how to pronounce it. she now uses it with delight for the same purpose.

But other words I've used have gotten me into trouble!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Phil McCracken said:

I'm still stuck trying to translate Aussie slang to English. 

K’n oath!!! 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Harry Brown said:

They used to look at me confused when I'd use the word cheeky , the closest word that could be used was "Talung"  very hard to pronounce though.

It took me a while to find cheeky when learning Thai, not in most dictionaries.

Talung, in my experience is the closest.

Pronunciation is flat, no inflection and not extended or contracted on certain letters.

Normally used by Thai's as sexually cheeky, as in lick lick, suck suck you?  

Answer =  Talung

Can also be used generally with care, such as you are winning a game of connect 4 (Bingo) and she puts in 2 counters to win.

Not good to tell her "Ke Gong" (cheat), as it is a bit harsh. Better to use "Talung" in this case. [ You are being cheeky / smart arse ].

As always, when using a word such as this, best done with a big smile.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, GorGuy said:

It took me a while to find cheeky when learning Thai, not in most dictionaries.

Talung, in my experience is the closest.

Pronunciation is flat, no inflection and not extended or contracted on certain letters.

Normally used by Thai's as sexually cheeky, as in lick lick, suck suck you?  

Answer =  Talung

Can also be used generally with care, such as you are winning a game of connect 4 (Bingo) and she puts in 2 counters to win.

Not good to tell her "Ke Gong" (cheat), as it is a bit harsh. Better to use "Talung" in this case. [ You are being cheeky / smart arse ].

As always, when using a word such as this, best done with a big smile.

Thanks, I learn a little each day.

• Like 2

I had a chick I used to go with and she heard me say Cunt  ,  she wanted to know what it meant , I told her it had a lot of meanings , ............  her mums name was Dum

Lazy Cunt  ,  Smart Cunt ,  Dumb Cunt  ,  Useless Cunt  ,  Good Looking Cunt  ,  Ugly Cunt. , and the list went on

well I said Dumb Cunt this day and she said same, same my mother but spell different. LMFHO

On 13/01/2023 at 16:23, onehunglo said:

the list went on

Had a cunt of a day. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

40 minutes ago, Thomaz73 said:

Had a cunt of a day. 

Cunts not even strine and blokes havin a go

2 hours ago, keepitfun said:

Cunts not even strine and blokes havin a go

Dog cunt, Mad cunt, Dirty cunt and Sick cunt all have different meanings - and no I can't explain the difference between them in Thai!

I’d pay a lady drink to watch someone explain to a tg “sick unit” or “up the duff” 😆