IGNORED

Stress Free Travel, Arrival and Stay in Pattaya

Snowbird99

Spent a couple of weeks in P August 22 and will visit again last week January and first week February 2023.

August wasn’t strictly my first visit but it was my first visit of the modern era as previous visit were over 20 yrs ago.

I’m retired and like to travel, arrive and stay in as stress free manner as possible. This means having everything in place which enables me to focus on the purpose of the trip, mongering. There are a few things that , IMO, make this possible.

Direct flight. 

Can’t be bothered with changing planes with short stressful connections or boring long waits. I’m leaving from London so choice is limited to Eva Air or Thai for a direct flight. Seat comfort and space are important to me. Age and worn joints make the notion of 12 hrs in an economy seat untenable.  

Used Eva Air Premium Economy in August and this delivered on both fronts, with a bonus of good food.. 

Suggest booking direct with airline. You can see the range of ticket types and the various change / cancellation fees and choose one appropriate to your needs. Not usually possible with agencies. In the  event of difficulties , flight cancellation etc., you can deal with the airline directly and not have to communicate through some third party.

Timing.

Eva leaves LHR around 21:30 arriving BKK mid afternoonthe next day after an approximately twelve hour flight.. This timing is good in a couple of ways. Get on plane, eat and then its time to sleep as  much as possible.

Arrival in BKK mid afternoon means getting to hotel and checked in without having to wait for check in to be available. 

Transfer from BKK to hotel by taxi, quick and cheap at around 1,000 to 1500 Baht.

Get unpacked, have a shower and it’s time to go and sample the delights P has to offer .

Mobile Phone. 

Mobile phone is, IMO, essential with at least the following apps installed. 

Bolt, cheap and convenient way to get around

Maps for obvious reasons 

TF, I’m sure you know what that’s for

Email

Line

Web browser

IG

Facebook

WhatsApp.

Prior to leaving UK for my August trip bought a cheap used Android and installed the above.

Bought a local SIM card whilst waiting for luggage to arrive. Just joined the shortest queue for this and ended up with a 4g AIS package appropriate to my length of stay. Sim installed and activated by the girl in the AIS booth. Worked pretty much immediately. Spent some of the taxi ride to P completing set up of apps which required phone numbers. 

This phone is completely independent of my UK phone, so no risk of disclosing any private or personal data..  Also, given it was cheap don’t really care if I lose / damage it. UK phone stays in hotel room safe.

Money.

Arrived with around 1,000 Euros in paper money. Changed enough Euros while waiting for luggage to get about 5000 Baht to cover taxi and incidental expenses prior to changing more money at a better rate in Pattaya.

Prior to leaving UK opened a Starling bank account reputedly good value  for foreign currency transactions , as a back up to my main bank account. My main bank account and Starling worked well in Thailand. Cost difference negligible

hotel

Need to select a hotel which is as close as possible to your preferred  playground; Soi 6, WS, LK Metro etc. and has easy access to baht bus.  E.g. in  August I stayed at Siam Siam ( Second Road opposite Central Marina)  which is a few minutes walk to Beach Road to catch a baht bus to Soi 6 and WS. Return journey easy enough on Second Road baht bus.

To help select a hotel you can find your favourite play ground, e.g. Soi6, LK Metro, WS etc. using Google maps and then get walking directions and time to a hotel you’re considering. 

For afternoon entertainment I’m happy to travel, but at the end of the night I want a simple and quick return to my chosen hotel. Tended to end up around Soi Boomerang, LK Metro at the end of the day, so a bit of a pain to get back in the early hours. Will try to find better hotel location next time.Nice enough hotel though.

Upcoming trip in a few weeks.

Like Eva Air so have booked again. This time Business Class for about £2500 return. Want to arrive in the best possible shape to begin the trip.

Have kept the AIS SIM card from previous trip alive by adding a few baht as required using the AIS app. This lets me buy a data package  just before departure and means I have a working local phone working as I step off the plane. 

Made sure I left LOS last time with enough Thai currency to start this trip. No messing around changing money at BKK.

Taxi from BKK to Pattaya booked with Nam’s Taxi.

Amethyst Hotel .This is a new hotel in a great location a few minutes walk from LK Metro, Soi Boomerang, Treetown etc. Good description on the Everything Pattaya YouTube channel,so have booked it.

Think everything in place for a good trip. Looking forward.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...