IGNORED

Upgrading to Business Class at Check-In

mattmoore1965x

On 31/12/2022 at 12:02, Rocketboy said:

I retired four years ago as a Delta Airline ticket and gate agent and that dressing well "trick" ain't happening....we know all the "tricks"! 555 The asking, sure you can ask. But in my experience it ain't hardly going to happen either!

There are customers who have status at Delta and other airlines. Those folks if not already in Business/First Class are usually on the list for upgrades so chances are even slimmer. 

Spot On.

Operational Upgrades are computer based.

The grumpy schlub with wearing socks, sandals, a mustard stained shirt but also has Top Tier status and flying on an expensive Flexible Fare will be among the first in line to be upgraded, while the charming college sports star in a suit with No status and flying on the cheapest of cheap sale fares has no hope.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m also considering an upgrade from Manchester UK via Dubai on Emirates.

Paid £859 for the economy tickets

they want £3200 to upgrade return flights all legs.

£3200 is too much for me but I’d pay £2500ish. 

Going to wait to see if I get the upgrade email and if that doesn’t come, I’ll ask in the airport. I am pretty doubtful it will be cheaper than online though.

On 28/12/2022 at 13:45, bradonw said:

What I can say is I have turned up at these desks to buy a flight leaving immediately

Thats because even in economy you're paying full IATA published prices for the airline which bear no resemblence to consolidated fares most of us buy online

As an example Eva to Bangkok from London is £2348 return for economy (live price today)

In short thats what you pay if you go to the airlines desk at the airport

I suspect though on upgrades for already existing tickets it works differently

Edited by KyleReading

I've been Gold for life with Star Alliance and Platinum for life with Skyteam, recieved one free upgrade due to overbooked flight. Tried to upgrade with miles once at EWR (KLM) and told only Y class could upgrade. Days of free lunch long gone for most travellers