IGNORED

Detals of Successfull UK Settlement Visa

missinginaction

Finally after all of the planning and effort we've put in, my wife collected her UK two year settlement VISA today.

All in all I found it a pretty straight forward process. The application took just over five weeks for them to process which is about the average time at the moment for a settlement visa.

This was my wife's second visa to the UK. Her first was a visitor visa last year where she came here to the UK for six months. As with the visitor visa I did all of the work myself. Been a typical Yorkshireman I couldn't bare to part with any money to pay for an agent. And in the age of the internet I'm not convinced they are as needed as they once were. Most of the info I found on various forums about what and what not to do. As I picked up most of my knowledge from forums I thought i should share what I've learned with everyone else as well.

Below is a list of docs I used to support the application:

Some Phone Bills over 18 months Detailing some Calls

Certified Copy Of My Passport - This cost £2 from local solicitor

Birth Certificate of wife

ID Card of wife

House Book of wife

Previous Passport of wife

Current Passport of wife

Bank Book for wife showing 30Kbht in bank

Details of my monthly incomings and outgoings which I did in a spreadsheet

My Home buildings and contents Insurance Schedule

Copy of my last council tax bill

Details of Money Transfers showing I have supported her a little while she worked

My Latest Mortgage Statement

My Bank Statements for Six months

Copy my Savings statement

My Wage Slips for the last six months

A Letter from my work detailing my salary

Marriage Certificate

My Decree Absolute from previous marriage

Copies of my Airline Reservations for my Thailand trips

Birthday & Xmas Cards to each other for the last two years

Receipts from various trips in Thailand (ie chiang mai zoo, various temples)

Wifes TB Certificate from iOM

Photos Of My House in UK & rooms

Lots of photos of us together in various places with an explanation to each photo - ie where and when

As well as the above I also wrote a supporting letter with my application. This letter went into details of the following:

How & where we met

My Salary details

Details of my house - Number of rooms ect..

Details of my wifes visit to the UK and what she thought of the UK

Details of our marriage ceremony in Thailand

Details of my trips to Thailand and places we visited & referenced some photos

I'm not sure if all of the above was needed or I did way too much. But as the visa cost £550 I didn't want to risk not doing enough & it getting rejected.

Hope some others find this useful.

• 2 months later...

Its hard to say what was required and what wasn't. Maybe they didn't look at much of what we sent in with the application or maybe they did. Its always best to give as much info as you can. That way you wont be disappointed.

Well done M8 I still have to wait about 3 weeks to find out if my wifes is OK

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS & COSTS

Building A House In The Village

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS & COSTS

Getting Married In The Village & Bringing Her To The UK

Its hard to say what was required and what wasn't. Maybe they didn't look at much of what we sent in with the application or maybe they did. Its always best to give as much info as you can. That way you wont be disappointed.

I'm particularly interested as up until 3 months ago my finances were pretty hairy. Its all sorted itself out now but I'm trying to decide whether or not to just get my girl a tourist visa for 6 months and then apply for settlement when my finances are better again.

Where did you find out all your information about what was needed? Did you use an agency or just research it?

Thanks again for the info.

I'm particularly interested as up until 3 months ago my finances were pretty hairy. Its all sorted itself out now but I'm trying to decide whether or not to just get my girl a tourist visa for 6 months and then apply for settlement when my finances are better again.

Where did you find out all your information about what was needed? Did you use an agency or just research it?

Thanks again for the info.

I did both the tourist and settlement visa myself. I did spend a lots of time researching and collecting evidence for the visa's. They were pretty straight forward though, once the leg work had been done. By all accounts the tourist visa is harder to get, as once you're married the settlement visa is straight forward.

I found a lot of info out on this form as well as:

http://www.ukresident.com/forum

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum

The docs for a tourist visa are pretty straight forward. If you PM me I'd be happy to send you a copy of what I did for either visa.

Good luck.

Paul

well done.

but dont it get you when you read in the papers about all the sham weddings here that do get allowed,women marrying looads of guys to get them here,seems uk women can go to turkey or africa no problem,but you want to bring a thai girl home.

it really gets to me we have paid all our taxes and national insurance for ever but a single white hetrosexual male meeting someone,falling in love and bringing them home,i dont think so,its so many hoops to jump thru i just stayed there.cheaper,better weather,so much better lifestyle.

the only advantage i have is 2 months she gets a uk passport anyway due to the time factor.

i hate the uk with a vengence,but as i said im a white hetrosexual male,had i been an mp who was gay with a brazilian lover,i would have come and got him to sign on the dole and put him in a council house,then again im not.

well done.

but dont it get you when you read in the papers about all the sham weddings here that do get allowed,women marrying looads of guys to get them here,seems uk women can go to turkey or africa no problem,but you want to bring a thai girl home.

it really gets to me we have paid all our taxes and national insurance for ever but a single white hetrosexual male meeting someone,falling in love and bringing them home,i dont think so,its so many hoops to jump thru i just stayed there.cheaper,better weather,so much better lifestyle.

the only advantage i have is 2 months she gets a uk passport anyway due to the time factor.

i hate the uk with a vengence,but as i said im a white hetrosexual male,had i been an mp who was gay with a brazilian lover,i would have come and got him to sign on the dole and put him in a council house,then again im not.

Not entirely sure where you're coming from here. But you seem pretty angry about something.

:P

I think he is annoyed by the beuracracy of the UK immigration services. I can understand it, I have a girl I'm marrying abroad and by the looks of it, the chances are slim that I'll be able to get her across to live with me for more than 6 months out of 12.

I think he is annoyed by the beuracracy of the UK immigration services. I can understand it, I have a girl I'm marrying abroad and by the looks of it, the chances are slim that I'll be able to get her across to live with me for more than 6 months out of 12.

Why not a settlement visa if ur married?

Why not a settlement visa if ur married?

Yeah I want settlement which is why I was inquiring about the requirements for a settlement visa, how stringent they are about your finances. If only 3 months are required it is better for me because as I say I went through a rough patch about 6 months ago.

Edit: I forgot to mention I own a house, and am a partner in a business that shows a strong profit though that did not stop my financess appearing bad.

Edited by Seneca