IGNORED

Windows 7 and Google chrome

Billy Shears

I'm running windows 7 on my laptop, and really don't want to get windows 10 as I don't like the format.

But now google chrome is giving me this message:

Sunsetting support for Windows 7 / 8/8.1 in early 2023

Hey all, Chrome 109 is the last version of Chrome that will support Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1. Chrome 110 (tentatively scheduled for release on February 7th, 2023) is the first version of Chrome that requires Windows 10 or later. You’ll need to ensure your device is running Windows 10 or later to continue receiving future Chrome releases. This matches Microsoft's end of support for Windows 7 ESU and Windows 8.1 extended support on January 10th, 2023. Older versions of Chrome will continue to work, but there will be no further updates released for users on these operating systems. If you are currently on Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1, we encourage you to move to a supported Windows version to ensure you continue to receive the latest security updates and Chrome features.

My question is, what happens if I don't switch to windows 10? What are the implications? 

As Clash predicts ( have no idea really but couldn't help it, sorry)

13 minutes ago, WhiteThai said:

My question is, what happens if I don't switch to windows 10? What are the implications? 

As new exploits are found and fixed in both the operating system and the browser you use, you will be S.O.L. (Shit Out of Luck) If you are connected to the internet, the possibility of your computer being used in a remote exploit or otherwise compromised will continue to increase with each passing day. 

Oh, and the current version of Windows is now 11. Version 10 has a few years left before it gets sunsetted. Then you'd go through the same process again. (S.O.L.) 

30 minutes ago, Garzan said:

As new exploits are found and fixed in both the operating system and the browser you use, you will be S.O.L. (Shit Out of Luck) If you are connected to the internet, the possibility of your computer being used in a remote exploit or otherwise compromised will continue to increase with each passing day. 

Oh, and the current version of Windows is now 11. Version 10 has a few years left before it gets sunsetted. Then you'd go through the same process again. (S.O.L.) 

So, no choice. I have to down, I mean upgrade?

1 hour ago, WhiteThai said:

I would say so. And not just because of chrome. Btw, if you hate windows enough (and couldn't blame you) the Linux universe has become a lot more user friendly. Ubuntu is good. But there's a bunch of newer, sleaker distributions that I've been too lazy to try. 

• Thanks 1

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

1 hour ago, WhiteThai said:

Of course, you have a choice. My opinion is that not using a current, supported operating system when connected to the Internet is a remarkably poor choice, but it is still your choice to make. 

I think @Thomaz73 has a valid point. If modern Windows is a bridge too far, there are several Linux alternatives to Windows. I'll add to that, that if you are doing most of your computer functions inside of a browser, then my opinion is that the underlying operating system is not that important. Chrome on Windows and Chrome on whatever flavor of Linux is essentially Chrome. 

Here's an article on shifting from Windows to different flavors of Linux.  

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/01/best-linux-distros-windows-users

The article is a couple of years old, so the version numbers will be higher but the 'look and feel' should be almost identical. 

• Like 3

Here is an introduction to Linux Mint 21 by one of my favorite English computer guys. I love his sense of humor. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually getting a Chromebook even for novices, who are security conscious, not a bad idea. The operating system updates automatically, so there is never any need to do an update to another version. And as the Chrome OS is essentially a Linux system, it runs very stable. On top, without any further tweaking required, you can run all Android apps natively.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/7021273?hl=en

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, goodie2shoes said:

Actually getting a Chromebook even for novices, who are security conscious, not a bad idea.

Well ... if we start considering replacing hardware, that opens up all sorts of other options. 555 

I'm not sure, but I don't think replacing his computer is what @WhiteThaiwas contemplating. 

Edited by Garzan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Garzan said:

Yes, any new found issues will be left unpatched. But would any hackers be interested in spending time trying to find exploits when there are barely any windows 7 users anymore.....??  And would they really be interested trying to get into the to simple users computers that probably are old obsolute machines anyway....

Companies/institutions etc have likely upgraded.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ryzen.007 said:

But would any hackers be interested in spending time trying to find exploits when there are barely any windows 7 users anymore.....??

Currently Win 7 runs on about 10% of PCs, roughly 150 million users. Not insignificant. https://www.theregister.com/2022/11/02/windows_11_statcounter/

Many exploits takeover weak systems not to siphon proprietary info from those computers, but to act as internet connected bots used to attack other systems on the net, send out reams of spam emails or act as hidden VPNs for various nefarious purposes.

Win 10 and 11 have heavier memory needs and don’t run well on systems with 4 gig or RAM or less, especially with spinning rust (hard disk instead of SSD) for memory swap. Linux desktop OSs need less RAM and thus tend to perform better on older low RAM/HDD systems. Linux Mint is a good choice for a non technical user switching from Windows.

Another option is to install Chrome OS Flex on an older laptop and use Google’s Chrome OS. If you’re mostly browsing, watching videos and working with Google’s document tools, this is a pretty user friendly option. https://www.pcworld.com/article/393375/how-to-turn-a-laptop-into-a-chromebook.html

Windows 7 is now 13 years old, so it’s understandable that Microsoft, Google and other software vendors are at the end of the line with support. Getting old isn’t for sissies!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@WhiteThai

If it's about familiarity then you can always use a program to change W10 to look and act like W7.

There is several out there,  like Start10 ... trying to remember the others!

Edited by Leo_Bia

4 hours ago, Leo_Bia said:

@WhiteThai

If it's about familiarity then you can always use a program to change W10 to look and act like W7.

There is several out there,  like Start10 ... trying to remember the others!

Classic Shell is another that seems popular.

• Thanks 2