IGNORED

45 Minute connection in Vienna?

daytripperz

Hi Chaps,

Been back a couple of days and looking to book another trip, it won't be until the end of June sadly though.

Anyway, I'm 6'4" with long legs so I always need to book exit row seats as I just can't sit folded up for 12 hours. Currently I can book Premium economy with Austrian from Heathrow for around the same price, maybe slightly cheaper, than economy and paying extra for exit row with EVA/Thai. Even flights with a stop off in the Middle East are a bit of a nightmare without exit row and paying extra for all four flights is roughly the same cost as doing the same as flying direct with EVA/Thai. Eva charge $160 per flight and Thai $100 per flight. Even an aisle seat is a bit of nightmare.

The Austrian flight only has a 45 minute connection so I'm a bit concerned that it maybe too tight. I've had a google and people seem to think it's OK as Vienna is quite a small airport.

Has anyone on the forum done it before? The return flight isn't too bad with a 1 hour 20 minute connection.

Any info would be appreciated!

@daytripperz

I did Vienna with a 35 minute connection in April 22. I was in 2C business class so knew I would be amongst the first off.

Haha, we parked at a remote stand with stairs and a waiting bus, still confident. It was a massive bendy bus which could take every passenger from the A320 so did not move until the lazy b****** on row Z got on.

A short ride to the terminal, up an escalator and a very short walk, avoiding an xray machine which was not being used and I was ready for boarding. Probably 10 minutes in hand. 

Vienna is acknowledged to offer very short transit times, I'm sure the airline would hold the onward flight if necessary. They do not want to out you in a hotel overnight at their expense.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bangna said:

@daytripperz

I did Vienna with a 35 minute connection in April 22. I was in 2C business class so knew I would be amongst the first off.

Haha, we parked at a remote stand with stairs and a waiting bus, still confident. It was a massive bendy bus which could take every passenger from the A320 so did not move until the lazy b****** on row Z got on.

A short ride to the terminal, up an escalator and a very short walk, avoiding an xray machine which was not being used and I was ready for boarding. Probably 10 minutes in hand. 

Vienna is acknowledged to offer very short transit times, I'm sure the airline would hold the onward flight if necessary. They do not want to out you in a hotel overnight at their expense.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have seen that there is an earlier flight from Heathrow that would give me a 5 hour stopover in Vienna, but it's only showing on the  Austrian Airlines website and not on skyscanner. I guess that would remove all concerns. Unless Vienna Airport is pricey for coffee lol. I might just avoid all the aggro all together and book EVA premium and just have a nice flight, currently £1440 :Dunno1:

I hate being tall when it comes to flying, it's basically a tall person tax. Same with wearing glasses, a fine for having poor eyesight lol

1 hour ago, daytripperz said:

Austrian from Heathrow (to Vienna, to Bangkok)...The Austrian flight only has a 45 minute connection so I'm a bit concerned that it may be too tight.

Had similar in 2019. Flew Munich to Vienna with 50 minute connection but Lufthansa from Munich ran 30 minutes late, no time to catch the Austrian flight to BKK.

Airline provided voucher for 4-star hotel near airport overnight with dinner and early breakfast plus courtesy pack of underwear, toiletries etc as I did not get my suitcase; it went into a lockup overnight. Next morning flew Qatar Air to Doha and changed there for BKK. My suitcase, covered in stickers, appeared on the baggage carousel.

Hopefully you will be OK. Suggest tell purser on the flight from London of your situation so you will get off the plane quickly and be directed to your connection

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You'll probably make it for the connection flight, IF your flight from LHR to VIE is in time. So there is a risk for sure.

You could check the average delay on flightaware.com
However, I'd be more concerned about the luggage. 45 minutes can be challenging.
On my last trip I had 45 minutes in MUC, luggage made it last minute (Tacking with Apple Tag).
On the way back luggage didn't make it in ZRH (connection time 60 minutes) and it took 10 days until I received it.
I'd definitely suggest you invest in an Apple Tag, so you will know where the luggage is, this can be very helpful later.

Edited by FelixBerlin
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My missus went last week, she had a 30min layover in VIE. Gets on flight in Spain, there was a 25min delay in taking off, she gets to Vie and there is a girl from Austrian air waiting for her with her name on a card. Saying she has to run to the gate, she gets to the plane and they still sit there waiting for 4 other people. So they will hold the BKK flight for you, unless its well late, so dont stress, 45min is plenty for VIE. Just be sure to book an aisle seat near front on first flight.

I did Munich with a 45 min connection. No problems at all, plane was at the gate next to the one I came off and had plenty of time to have a smoke and get a drink etc. You'll be fine as long as the flight out isn't delayed