IGNORED

Holiday Inn Pattaya Questions

xerxez

Has anyone stayed at either of the Holiday Inn hotels in Pattaya?  How was the place?  And is it guest friendly?  Thanks

Trust me, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Yes, I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express several times. The rooms are on the small side, and the shower spills water over the bathroom floor when you shower due to poor design. Guest friendly with no ID checks, key card for elevator access. Rooftop pool is small. Breakfast is mediocre. Staff are friendly and helpful. 

But hey, it is fairly cheap and an easy way to Diamond status with IHG.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tfere's a dedicated thread about HIX: 

Feel free to read

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Please keep in mind that everything I write is based on my own experiences, my personal preferences and my expectations. YMMV!

There's nothing wrong about being cheap ... but being cheap isn't being smart ... never was, never will be ... it's just cheap

Thanks for the incite.  I have a sh!tload of points with the IHG program so can stay relatively free there.  Allows for more $$$ for adult fun.

Thanks.  I should have used the search function more efficiently to find it. 

I've stayed at both hotels many times. If you have status with IHG, then Holiday Inn is better value for your point with the upgraded room. All rooms at HIX are the same, so there is no upgrade available. Both are very girl friendly, I've brought more than 1 girl back at both and there were no issue at all.

HIE seems like its closer to the action but the HI looks like the rooms are a whole lot better.  Just mean at the HI I'll be taking the baht bus or BOLT more often.

Edited by xerxez

i'd never stay at HI due to its location. just too far away from everything (except soi 6). 

HIE is fine location wise. i find the rooms kinda boring and don't see a reason to stay there either, but there's nothing wrong with it. 

and fyi:  you'll get to 50 posts soon enough anyway. mods will not approve you for your advanced if it's all one-liners and "thank you for the advice" posts. so no need to do that...
just focus on making useful & helpful posts and you'll get there. 
(just my 2 cents. i'm not a mod and i don't want to attack you. do what you want, but it just stood out to me and it's normally cause new members want to reach advanced...)

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

No worries.  Some of it is just being polite and some is advancing the levels.  But I do hope some of the info I ask about/give is inciteful and adds to the forum.  Mostly I'm trying to get engage with the established gents who've been here in preparation for my trip.

Edited by xerxez

45 minutes ago, petehoax said:

i'd never stay at HI due to its location. just too far away from everything (except soi 6). 

HIE is fine location wise. i find the rooms kinda boring and don't see a reason to stay there either, but there's nothing wrong with it. 

Gonna play Devil's Advocate and take the other side here - 

I do not think the Holiday Inn location is all that inconvenient. It's on the "baht bus" loop, so not too hard to at least get a ride back there after a night out (although I had one driver stop at the turnaround and say it was 10 more baht to keep going - guy was an asshole, but not worth arguing over 10 baht).

While it used to be somewhat isolated, the opening of Terminal 21 changed things, IMHO. It's a fairly short walk over there to shop, enjoy the food selections, etc.

With the caveat that I have never stayed there, I don't think the HIE is in a great location because I have always found it more difficult to get a baht bus on Soi Buakhao. It's a fairly short walk from it to LK Metro, but I hate walking on Soi Buakhao due to the lack of sidewalks and heavy traffic (although there may bre sidewalks at that portion of it - I don't know).

All of that said, the room size and shower issues are what really put me off of the HIE. I almost stayed there one night in August (late night arrival and just so damn cheap!), but I had to cancel that trip.

Especially with the prevalence of Bolt and Grab, I'm a big fan of the InterContinental. Now it REALLY is isolated! 555  

That said, it is a fantastic resort-style property. I also get upgraded there because I am IHG Ambassador (paid program). restaurants are a bit pricey, but it has amenities that are hard to top (especially the upgraded rooms).

I have never had issues bringing girls back to HI (multiple girls, multiple times with no issues) or InterContinental, but others have reported issues at IC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m in the Holiday Inn Express right now and was just in the Holiday Inn prior to coming here. I think both are good options. I think the HI is twice as nice as the HIX, but it costs around 3x as much, either in cash or points, so there’s value in the HIX if it’s not too downscale for you and it isn’t for me.

Both locations are fine for me since it’s not all that difficult or expensive to get anywhere in central Pattaya and I’ve got no trouble walking a little bit as well. I’d give a slight edge to HIX on location.

Rooms at the HI are fine. I’ve only ever had the standard room with the occasional ‘high floor’ upgrade. Comfortable beds, quiet room, friendly staff, smart TV’s. All in all, a great place to stay.

Rooms at the Holiday Inn Express are on the small side, but acceptable for me. A lot of people complain about the shower, but ask housekeeping for an extra bath towel, fold and place it in the opening between the shower and rest of the bathroom and problem solved, simple. Shower is a little cozy for two, but I don’t have an issue with that either. Cozy is good sometimes. Bed is also smaller compared to HI, Queen vs king, but still just as comfortable and I sleep well. Reception said they put me in a quiet room in the back, and they weren’t kidding, very quiet here. Staff is very helpful. hotel is pretty new, so most things still work as they should, which is sometimes an issue for older hotels at this price point.

OP cant go wrong at either place imo, especially if looking to stay at IHG properties. HIX is a good 3* option, HI is a good 4* option. I’m sure I’ll stay at both again and hope to check out the IC at some point, too.

Edited by bgtp

Another thing to consider with the HI. Pattaya seems to have major events every second week, so travelling up the length of Beach Rd could be a PITA, eg. This weekends fireworks event is a good example.

I exercise walk beach Rd most nights and often the traffic is at walking pace.... But I am a fast walker 😅

On 26/11/2022 at 21:36, Sloracer said:

Another thing to consider with the HI. Pattaya seems to have major events every second week, so travelling up the length of Beach Rd could be a PITA, eg. This weekends fireworks event is a good example.

I exercise walk beach Rd most nights and often the traffic is at walking pace.... But I am a fast walker 😅

A very good point. Back in the high season days of 2016-2018. It could take forever for the baht bus to trek to length of Beach Road. There were times when I would hop off and walk the last few blocks because it was faster.

That said, never really a HUGE problem for me.

With the crowds down, the issue these days is more festivals, etc.

• Like 1

I'm an IHG member and have stayed at both hotels, just recently at the express back in October. I can't really add anything different than what was already said. I do like the HI more as it is a nicer hotel and a little bit away from everything. The area around there seems to be really clean there(less garbage). I can't complain about the HIE. Your right on Soi Buakow and there are baht busses there to catch. Also there is a TT money exchange directly across from the HIE and they will change money without a passport. Another thing, if you are up early enough for breakfast, the free breakfast at HIE is really good. It's actually better than any HIE that I have stayed at in the U.S.

• 3 months later...

I stayed at the HI for a week during January 2023.  I like the northern end of Beach Road and usually stay in the soi 3 or 5 area so it's no problem for me.  It's a quiet area with some nice restaurants like Gulliver's. 

Normally I don't like to spend that kind of scratch for a room but Agoda had a great deal going on so I decided to book.  I booked a standard room but being an IHG elite member I got upgraded to a King Deluxe room on a higher floor in the executive tower.  It was a little too high up for my liking as I ended up getting vertigo during my stay there.  The vertigo was perhaps unrelated but I didn't spend much time on the balcony after that.  I also got sick during my stay so I didn't get to visit the pool or the gym...although the pool looked fantastic.  

The views overlooking Pattaya Bay are amazing.  I had a Russian girl over who fell in love with the view and  actually wanted to have some fun on the balcony as we'd done at another hotel but there were too many prying eyes from the other buildings across from HI for my liking.  As others stated the views in the Bay Tower are better but the Executive tower has newer rooms--so they both have pros and cons. 

The hotel is definitely family oriented and some farangs with their thai dates may look a little out of place.  Also, you need a key to get to your floor in the elevator so if you're the kind of monger who has a lot of girls coming over, going up and down the elevator can be a bit of a hassle, especially of you're on a high floor.  

That said, I'd definitely stay there again--if not for the views alone.  But perhaps on a lower level floor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

In my 10+ years of visiting Pattaya and a loyal IHG member I have always stayed at the Holiday Inn - initially the Bay tower (closest to Beach road), then once opened the Executive Tower. 

Pros:

• Executive tower is relatively modern, though is starting to slightly show its ag. Main thing is it is very clean. 
  • Executive lounge (rooftop Sky bar) is amazing - especially if you have a club room, you get free premium alcohol and snacks in the evening. Absolutely love having a few drinks there before heading out to WS.
  • Staff are very welcoming and nice. 
  • Has a 7/11 in the hotel itself so is very convenient.
  • Is guest friendly. Tip - If you want to be discreet, the Executive tower has an entrance on the side of the building and your guest can come in and turn left straight to the lift area. Saying that when i've brought guests from a night out and pretty drunk, reception take the ID and make you sign a waiver - all very smooth. 
  • It is at the quieter end, but sometimes I just want to relax in a tranquil environment with amazing views. Adds a bit of normality to what generally is a 'filthy' trip :)
  • Money exchange a few min walk up to 2nd road where typically they have great rates (one on right hand side near where security guard sits). 

Cons

• When in the mood, it is a bit of a chore - going down the lift, then the 3 or so min walk to Beach road then getting on baht bus down to 6 or WS. 
  • Breakfast buffet is average at best.

In summary HI is a family hotel, but the Bay tower is geared more towards families. The Executive tower suits my needs well. 

• 1 month later...

Stayed in several hotels in Pattaya over the years. My last few trips have stayed at Holiday Inn at the North end of Beach Rd. Have stayed in both the Executive and Bayview Towers.

Rooms in my opinion are similar between the towers, unless you get a multi room suite.

Overall prefer the Executive tower as better views from the rooftop bar. 

never had an issue with girls coming and going. Had no checks and other times simple girl hands in ID, phone call to check your ok when she leaves, all good.

Its far from WS and the business end of Pattaya but also a bit more relaxed, few nice bars and restaurants in easy walk to entertain a lady friend and relax.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Planning to go to pattaya in on the 24 december. Staying 5 days in Bangkok fron the 20 to 24 then heading to pattaya! planning in staying the HIX! I was planning to book when I arrve in Bangkok in case i esnt to stay long there.

Does anyone know if hotel room are difficult to book last minute since its high season?

Well yes, it can be difficult to book rooms during high season. That's why they call it high season! For Xmas Eve, they're asking 2900 baht a night on the Holiday Inn website and 6000 baht a night on Agoda, so you're better off booking direct with the hotel.

2 hours ago, sameric1234 said:

Hello,

Planning to go to pattaya in on the 24 december. Staying 5 days in Bangkok fron the 20 to 24 then heading to pattaya! planning in staying the HIX! I was planning to book when I arrve in Bangkok in case i esnt to stay long there.

Does anyone know if hotel room are difficult to book last minute since its high season?

Are you referring to the Holiday Inn (Beach Road) OR the Holiday Inn Express (Soi Buakhao)?

This thread focuses on Holiday Inn.

2 minutes ago, briguy said:

Well yes, it can be difficult to book rooms during high season. That's why they call it high season! For Xmas Eve, they're asking 2900 baht a night on the Holiday Inn website and 6000 baht a night on Agoda, so you're better off booking direct with the hotel.

2900 baht is pretty damn good rate during high season!

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I think i screwed up. It now says 3962 baht for that night...

40 minutes ago, briguy said:

I think i screwed up. It now says 3962 baht for that night...

2 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Are you referring to the Holiday Inn (Beach Road) OR the Holiday Inn Express (Soi Buakhao)?

This thread focuses on Holiday Inn.

Holiday Inn Epress on Soi Bakkhoa. 
Closer to the action and a lot cheaper!

4 hours ago, sameric1234 said:

It depends almost exclusively on how long you intend on staying, and that's a detail you did not include in your post.

I've stayed at that hotel a few times and tried to book a longer stay a few months back and it was all booked for the late Dec/Jan period.

1 hour ago, sameric1234 said:

Holiday Inn Epress on Soi Bakkhoa. 
Closer to the action and a lot cheaper!

Just wanted to highlight a pretty detailed thread here on the HIX:

• Like 2

Avoid the Holiday Inn Express on Soi Bukhao, you will get sick. They do not change their air filters for their A/C so it pushes in all the fecal matter and air pollution particles straight into your room. The window can't open so you don't have the option to bring in fresh air. This has happened twice now in my trips to Thailand, where I get nausea, higher temp (not fever temps), vertigo, and chills from breathing in all the shit. The first time was with Furuma Xclusive in Bangkok, which is another dismal hotel in the middle of a contaminated, feces-laden city center.

I live in San Francisco, which has extremely clean air, mostly due to being surrounded by 3 bodies of water. So if you live in a fairly clean city, going from that to Soi Bukhao is going to shock your system and get you sick for 1-2 days.

My advice is to book high-rise towers, like the View Talay 6. You are more often than not going to be assigned a room that is high up, like 15+ floors. Will get you clear out of the shit air and you can also open the windows to let fresh breeze come in.

Edited by Yves