IGNORED

Baraquda or Mercure?

The Blue-Eyed Sheikh

So it’s looking like I will have Accor status due to work trips by the time I get to Pattaya. Given that, is it worth choosing the Baraquda or Mercure, and, if so, which one?

TB-ES

if you get automatic upgrade at barracuda (which i think is automatic with accor status; of course only if not fully booked), i'd pick that for the jacuzzi in the room (and no joiner limit). 

ps: i say that having stayed at neither, 555

pps: mercure in soi 1 or is there something else? if yes: that would be a big nono for me automatically due to location. 

Edited by petehoax

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

I used to stay at barracuda years ago but i give it a miss now. hotel is getting old and the rooms smell musty and damp

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, petehoax said:

pps: mercure in soi 1 or is there something else? if yes: that would be a big nono for me automatically due to location. 

No, the one by Korando’s. 

TB-ES

Edited by The Blue-Eyed Sheikh
Trimmed quoted section

see this thread then: 

i don't know if the mercure there is still affected (and what date you'll arrive). but i post it in case you're not aware of it. 

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

Mercure isn’t affected they did that part months ago.  Mercure needs renovation and I don’t like the tour groups that clogged up the place the last couple of times I stayed there. Shame because the pool is quite good. 

I had a look at the Mercure on Soi 15 not long before Covid. They had moved into the package tours market and had regular coach groups as their main customers. Staff seemed a bit fed up of them tbh.

I went with a friend and the staff were very good and were delighted to show us around. Even brought us a free soft drink.

Rooms definitely not as good as I expected and the place had the feel of a 2 or 3 star hotel, but with a nice pool. The only difference between the standard and superior rooms appeared to be the view. You pay more for a pool view as opposed to an outside view.

• Like 3

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Stayed at the Mercure last weekend (and dozens of times before) and the Barracuda a lot during COVID

Mercure pool is great, but they really should have renovated during COVID (yes I know it was being used as a Hospitel) 

It’s still not back up and running to the level it was previously. Mini bar empty and I’m not sure about room service. It’s very much gone down the package tour group route, but they are out all day, so you don’t really see them. I’ll always stay there due to upgrades and price and frankly the memories, but it needs refurbishing. I understand why people might not like it, but I love it. 

barracuda is nice, but absolutely not 5*

As someone says above, if you are Gold or Platinum it’s worth it for the jacuzzi upgrade.

The pool is fine, I guess and the breakfast is OK. I had something go missing from my room a couple of years ago which soured my view of it as I found it for sale at a phone shop around the corner the next day. 

neither are in any way affected by the work on Soi 15

11 hours ago, petehoax said:

if you get automatic upgrade at barracuda (which i think is automatic with accor status; of course only if not fully booked), i'd pick that for the jacuzzi in the room (and no joiner limit). 

ps: i say that having stayed at neither, 555

That’s the Mercure Ocean resort, which is nice but the rooms are tiny. 
Stayed there once and hated the location 

Amazing day at the Mercure today. Had planned to lounge by the pool and read my book, however there was a “private Indian party” at the pool today. Indian music blaring out from 10am onwards.

Im very loyal to this hotel, but I think it’s talking the piss to have a private party around the pool 

• Like 2

It was absolutely beyond annoying. My GA unit is facing that way. Finished 4pm, though. That was a blissful moment. 

• Like 1

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

On 27/10/2022 at 00:20, Gonetothedogs said:

That’s the Mercure Ocean resort, which is nice but the rooms are tiny. 
Stayed there once and hated the location 

Stayed there in August. OK place.

A little off Second road wasn't that bad, but walking past Holiday Inn every time I headed to Beach Rd. I kept asking myself WTF I didn't stay there (I do have IHG status and not Accor..).

And then the tour group showed up. I'm a pretty easy going tolerant guy, most of the group's activity didn't really bother me, they did stand out. But don't those people know HOW THE FUCK AND ELEVATOR WORKS!!!

On one occasion, I get in on ground floor, guy's already in there, 5 is lit up, I press 10.

It stops at 5, he looks at me as if I should do something, I just close my eyes and shake my head...

At 10, he looks bewildered like he's wondering why it stopped there, I get out and leave...

I've been in other hotels, similar shit. Press both call buttons and when it stops get on and then off when they realize it's going the wrong way....

Is it some kinda cultural thing I'm oblivious too? (fuck I shouldn't ask cause I really don't want to know... but whatever).

I had thought the same numbers were used pretty universally through the whole world, and they should be familiar with them. Or do they somehow not number floors?

I dunno...  Ya, that and other odd interactions in the elevator were annoyances, but at least that hotel wasn't terribly tall and had a good number of quick elevators where it wasn't a constant frustration to sit and wait for them to figure out how they work.

And, this wasn't just on the first day they were there. I mean, I knew when they checked in, they were all gathered up in a group in the lobby as I passed through. 2 days later... How the fuck do they still not understand an elevator?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Thomaz73 said:

It was absolutely beyond annoying. My GA unit is facing that way. Finished 4pm, though. That was a blissful moment. 

They are testing my patience a bit this week. The personalized “welcome back, great to see you” I’ve had for 15 years has gone and the staff seem on edge. They asked me for a 2000 baht cash deposit when checking in which I said absolutely was not happening.

Must be the switch to tour groups, who can behave like absolute louts at times 

Bit of a disappointing stay this time round. The day I wanted to spend by the pool was ruined by the “private party” and there is just so little trust from the staff anymore. 
The staff seem confused by any request and seem like they are all working under a cloud of suspicion. Maybe there is now Thai management (used to be a falang) 

Even getting my free drink voucher honored was treated with much furtive glances and close inspection of the ticket like I was trying to rip them off. 

Asked to us the photocopier at one point and got a look of absolute disgust from the new girl behind reception. 

I’ll give it another go when I’m back next month, but they really need to buck their ideas up.

4 minutes ago, Gonetothedogs said:

I’ll give it another go when I’m back next month

Why? Aren't there tons of similarly priced alternatives in the area? Those "little" things sounds like something that could make one grumpy. Where's the fun in that? 

3 minutes ago, Thomaz73 said:

Why? Aren't there tons of similarly priced alternatives in the area? Those "little" things sounds like something that could make one grumpy. Where's the fun in that? 

Got enough points for 4 free nights 

• Like 2

On 26/10/2022 at 21:26, ShortTime said:

I used to stay at barracuda years ago but i give it a miss now. hotel is getting old and the rooms smell musty and damp

Yes I agree, I’ve stayed here plenty on numerous occasions, last time being January 2022 when they were discounting heavily however, the hotel had been closed for a lengthy period and consequently rooms became damp. I recall my wash bag quite quickly becoming mouldy.

Needles to say I relocated after five days.

Baby-1.gif

24 minutes ago, pentire said:

Yes I agree, I’ve stayed here plenty on numerous occasions, last time being January 2022 when they were discounting heavily however, the hotel had been closed for a lengthy period and consequently rooms became damp. I recall my wash bag quite quickly becoming mouldy.

Needles to say I relocated after five days.

I can’t stand those weird showers they have in the studio rooms. That moldy old curtain that wraps around is disgusting.

The suite rooms however, are perfect for entertaining (fucking) 2 or more girls 

I stayed there first trip years ago at the Mercure on Soi 15

Even then they had the tour groups of Chinese and Russians 

The place was full of non mongers 

Great pool area but the reality is the hotel is overpriced 

It costs 1500-2000baht a night and is not worth it when you see what else is available in Pattaya for 1000 baht a night 

Basically staying here is pissing money away when there are better options available 

• 9 months later...

The old Mercure is now the Heeton Concept hotel and no longer part of Accor (boooo) Staying here this week and underwhelmed, frankly. The pool is still great and that’s why I stay there but the “renovations” haven’t improved anything and it’s more like a cheap 1300 a night hotel rather than the 4* it used to be. It’s not fully open yet as work is still going on in some floors