IGNORED

Broken LCD on my Samsung Phone was I scammed ?

j_omm

I have been using a Samsung A30 phone for a few years now ,I had dropped it so many times a few cracks were starting to appear on the screen ,I had some quotes in Australia and it was not going to be cheap to fix..Seeing as I had a trip planned for Thailand I thought it would be a lot cheaper to get it replaced ...Not

I went to Tukom in Pattaya asked at a few places then found a place on first floor as you came up the steps there was a shop on the corner walk past that shop on left and there is a shop on an angle repairing Hand phones..I had already enquired at a few places about the price and this place quoted me an ok price or so I thought at the time 1.700 baht to replace the screen and also put a glass screen protector on it.

They told me this would take an hour I waited a while and I noticed people from other shops would also bring their phones to get new screens put on.

After an hour I picked up my phone all good working fine with new screen..well it was all good until about a week later when my phone fell from my bed onto the floor and the new LCD screen went black..I had all my data /ph numbers in this phone so I really needed it operational..

So back to the shop I went where they told me it would cost me another 1.700 baht to get a new screen put on..

I did not feel as though I had much choice so left my phone with them again..came back in an hour and phone was working well..

Anyway a week passes I had caught a taxi back to my hotel and as I am getting out of the Taxi my phone falls out of my pocket onto the ground ,when I picked it up it was not working screen black..

I thought this was strange as with original Samsung LCD screen I had dropped the phone multiple times and it had dropped much harder than the fall that made the screen go black.

My conclusion was they are just using the cheapest replacement LCD screens that with even just a slight fall will break.

After second broken screen no way was I taking it back to the shop I was in Bangkok and enquired at a Samsung repair center and got a quote for 3.300 to put an original screen on my phone but they said they had to order screen and it could take up to 5 days.

I was leaving for Bali the next day so this was not an option for me ,But when I arrived in Bali I went to a Samsung phone repair centre and I was quoted 2.400 baht /950.000 IDR to get a new original screen and it would take 5 to 7 days ..I left my phone with them and just got it back today working great and I know even if I do drop it a few times its not going to break the original screen...

So maybe if you need to get your LCD screen changed don`t choose small shops pay that bit extra for Original it will be much cheaper in the long run...

This proves the saying, “you get what you pay for.”

• Like 2

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

If genuine, better to go to Samsung Service Pattaya Nua (they won't work on copies or none Thai spec').

There is glass and there's Gorilla glass ?

Edited by Edge

totally agree on stronger phones that is why I also have a Nokia XR 20 phone but Samsung phones very user friendly and once the LCD becomes inoperable cannot access the data in my phone phone numbers/whatsapp numbers/line numbers and that data was important to me..

Who doesn`t drop their phone once in awhile ?..I did have a case on it plus protective glass when it dropped , I will be transferring all the data in my phone to another phone but my point was that its a scam to be charged 1.700 baht for an LCD screen that can be so easily broken

56 minutes ago, j_omm said:

but my point was that its a scam to be charged 1.700 baht for an LCD screen that can be so easily broken

As other BM pointed out already; you get what you pay for. I had a screen replaced in Tuccom with the cheapo option and it lasted a couple of years ( guess lucky and didnt drop phone:P

On 26/10/2022 at 23:30, Edge said:

If genuine, better to go to Samsung Service Pattaya Nua (they won't work on copies or none Thai spec').

There is glass and there's Gorilla glass ?

Not sure what you mean by genuine....I don't know but thought all Samsung phones are genuine no matter of the model. No?

My experience years ago it's not cheap there.

I have dropped my phone a few times replaced the screen 1500฿. I went to a shop here in Jomtien similar to the ones at Tukcom. I also have been to one at Tukcom.

I was told straight up at one shop these screens are not the same as original ones which cost a lot more. Sometimes more than a new phone....I'm not talking about the 30000฿ and more phones.

Edited by Rocketboy

3 hours ago, Rocketboy said:

Not sure what you mean by genuine....I don't know but thought all Samsung phones are genuine no matter of the model. No?

My experience years ago it's not cheap there.

I have dropped my phone a few times replaced the screen 1500฿. I went to a shop here in Jomtien similar to the ones at Tukcom. I also have been to one at Tukcom.

I was told straight up at one shop these screens are not the same as original ones which cost a lot more. Sometimes more than a new phone....I'm not talking about the 30000฿ and more phones.

I'm not sure I do really....much talk of fakes and copies but I haven' run into that AFAIK...just sure Samsung wouldn't work on them.
I know there is a copy named Sumsung out there, which looks OK and is silly cheap but not worth a light.

I've not had a screen break for ages, but I know there are copy screens which cost peanuts and I'd worry a  'TukCom type places would use non original parts.

I'm a Samsung fan but also a CC re' phones.....not chasing the new model.
I have a J4 which still works fine, then I bought an S8 about 3 years ago from @Viking ..paid him too much but it was no problem except battery life....had battery replaced at Samsung (2,800 no not cheap but genuine parts and warranty) but it made no difference so I looked for a new (cheap) one.....liked the S8 so went for an S8+ via Lazada which took too long to come so I cancelled and got a refund....then it turned up and the seller asked me to pay/re-order but we never worked out how to do that within Lazada's system so it was a free phone.
I thought it must be NOS but I assumed genuine and only 7k.
It appeared to come from Bangkok, but on checking the tracking  I saw it came from Korea or maybe China not sure.

It worked like a Samsung should for 6+ months then refused read the/any SIM card.
I took it to a TukCom shop and they said it would cost 800 maybe more, so I went to Samsung Service where they said it was not a Thailand model so they couldn't work on it.
I went back to a TukCom shop I've used before and her guy said no so she took it to 3 others repairers same answer.

The phone now lives in a draw...I thought I could use it on the bike for GPS by Hotspotting it from another phone, but with no SIM it works initially but goes into 'searching'....seems to be a Location issue.
sorry for long waffle but if anyone knows what exactly the phone is I'd be interested.

Currently using an Oukitel WP6 which is a brick but very long battery life and just about indestructible.

image.thumb.jpeg.12d00d65fb07a0cc03fbb20eba24803d.jpeg

1 hour ago, Edge said:

I know there is a copy named Sumsung out there, which looks OK and is silly cheap but not worth a light.

On Lazada they are also listed as Sansumg or Samsang, but scroll down to the pics taken by the customers reviews , shows they receive a Samsung branded phone.

They are easily available in Tukom, but as you said, they are next to worthless, Thai's buy them to impress their friends.

Screenshot_2022_10_28_11_46_20@2x.jpg

Screenshot_2022_10_28_11_45_46@2x.jpg

Edited by Farangkie