IGNORED

Car insurance for a few days while on vacation in Thailand - borrowed car from friend.

Thund

Do I need to purchase insurance and if so, what do I need?

My Thai wife is telling me we will be borrowing a car from one of her friends near Ayutthaya for a few days to putter around in.  Maybe 2 to 4 days.  She wants to take the extended Thai family to various attractions with us such as a new zoo nearby.  My wife is telling me that the owner of the car already has insurance.   As a farang who will have my US driver's license and an International driver's license booklet with me, What will I need to purchase if anything?  Does the owner's insurance usually cover lending the car out to us such as in this situation or will I need to acquire my own insurance?  If so, what should I get?   Thanks!

8 hours ago, Thund said:

Does the owner's insurance usually cover lending the car out to us such as in this situation or will I need to acquire my own insurance?  If so, what should I get?   Thanks!

You will have to check the car's insurance documents. Some people choose to limit the number of drivers (by naming them) to get a lower premium for the first class (full comprehensive) insurance.  

Oh, thank you.  I'll have my wife discuss this with her friend.  Our trip is 45 days out so time to sort this out.  Thanks!