IGNORED

Using mobile phone (AIS) as wifi hotspot for laptop

kevin2013

I might have to move apartment soon, and I am a bit nervous about the condo wifi service in new apartment.

I have a mobile phone with AIS, and my laptop. My plan is to use the mobile phone as a wifi hotspot for my laptop if the condo wifi is not good

AIS offer an unlimited data at 4mbps package 

Does anyone have any experience of doing this?

Is 4mpbs 'good enough' for normal usage eg surfing, emails, watching a few YouTube videos, maybe a few Zoom/Teams calls???

I won't be doing anything heavy like gaming, streaming movies, etc

Edited by kevin2013

I got the ais data package 20Mb down/up unlimited. i use it as a back up to the condo wifi. i am able to stream, watch youtube, i even can log into my amazon workspaces and use Teams during calls. the only factor that will be an issue is if you do not have a good signal to the Cel tower

7 minutes ago, jim2k said:

I got the ais data package 20Mb down/up unlimited. i use it as a back up to the condo wifi. i am able to stream, watch youtube, i even can log into my amazon workspaces and use Teams during calls. the only factor that will be an issue is if you do not have a good signal to the Cel tower

"ais data package 20Mb down/up unlimited"

You mean 20mbps speed, unlimited data?

I have no idea how much data I use on my laptop currently. 

So, I thought the unlimited data was a better option, just not sure if 4mbps is fast enough.

I have found the AIS wifi everywhere service very reliable over the years I have used it. 

yes unlimited data.  technically 3mbps is fast enough to stream netflix standard definition but if the video is high quality you may have freezing

It's a bit more expensive, but I find a certain amount of gigs (valid for a certain amount of time) at max speed much better. Using dtac and installed the app to check packages and promotions. Pretty sure ais has something similar. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

9 minutes ago, Thomaz73 said:

It's a bit more expensive, but I find a certain amount of gigs (valid for a certain amount of time) at max speed much better. Using dtac and installed the app to check packages and promotions. Pretty sure ais has something similar. 

Yes they do. See attached.

4mbps seems borderline from what I have read. "Should be" ok, but maybe not great.

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 11.59.36 AM.png

28 minutes ago, jim2k said:

yes unlimited data.  technically 3mbps is fast enough to stream netflix standard definition but if the video is high quality you may have freezing

20mbps seems far more sensible. 

3 minutes ago, kevin2013 said:

4mbps seems borderline from what I have read

Seems very low. I remember having too many issues with unlimited packages. 

AIS have a 10mbps unlimited package called Mao Mao.  1925 baht for 90 days.  I thrash Netflix and Youtube and my daughter does the same hotspotting my phone. 

Often I'll be on my laptop doing youtube, the smart TV is on Netflix for the missus, and the daughter is thrashing her phone on social media while also watching Netflix in her bedroom.

Nary a hint of any dropout or lag.

Edited by Gixxernz
  • Like 2

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="100" width="200" data="http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/cdt2_1.swf">'>http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/cdt2_1.swf">

<param name="movie" value="http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/cdt2_1.swf" />

<param name="base" value="http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/" />

<param name="flashvars" value="

&timer=1&

&time_template=3:ss;2:mm;1:hh;0:dd&

&time_color=0x000000&

&label_color=0x000000&

&background_color=0xFFFFFF&

&flare_view=true&

&time_label=d:DAY;h:HOUR;m:MIN;s:SEC&

&time_zone=(GMT +07:00) Bangkok, Hanoi, Jakarta&

&event_time=year:2011;month:1;day:5;hour:20;minute:11;seconds:0&

&event_duration=year:0;month:0;day:0;hour:0;minute:0;seconds:0&

&event_recursion=hourly&

&onpress_url=-&

&event_onpress_url=-&

&title=Pattaya, here i cum!&

&event_title=&

&sound_file=-&

&event_sound_file=-&

&transparent=true&

" />

<param name="quality" value="high" />

<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />

<param name="scale" value="noscale" />

<param name="salign" value="lt" />

</object>

4 minutes ago, Gixxernz said:

AIS have a 10mbps unlimited package called Mao Mao.  1925 baht for 90 days.  I thrash Netflix and Youtube and my daughter does the same hotspotting my phone. 

Often I'll be on my laptop doing youtube, the smart TV is on Netflix for the missus, and the daughter is thrashing her phone on social media while also watching Netflix in her bedroom.

Nary a hint of any dropout or lag.

That sounds spot on. 

I have dtac plan I bought via Lazada, it's phone and 30 Mbps unlimited internet for 1690฿ per year.

Because I do a lot of video streaming at 1080p, hot spotting my phone to my Android  box doesn't work without a lot of buffering. So I do pay for a fiber internet connection in my condo, that cost's about 600 p.m.

IMG_0008.PNG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dtac mobile phone speed.

IMG_0007.jpg

Edited by Farangkie

""I have dtac plan I bought via Lazada, it's phone and 30 Mbps unlimited internet for 1690฿ per year.

Because I do a lot of video streaming at 1080p, hot spotting my phone to my Android  box doesn't work without a lot of buffering. So I do pay for a fiber internet connection in my condo, that cost's about 600 p.m.""

I also use an Andoid box to watch some sports events.

Why would this buffer a lot, but the guys who replied earlier are doing a lot of Netflix, YouTube, video calls without a problem?

Yes, I have a fibre internet at the moment, which is why I am nervous about changing apartment

58 minutes ago, kevin2013 said:

Why would this buffer a lot, but the guys who replied earlier are doing a lot of Netflix, YouTube, video calls without a problem?

YMMV seems to apply to everything. As noted above, I had a lot of problems with unlimited packages with speed limits. Few years ago, though, as I've used max speed packages ever since. 

1 hour ago, kevin2013 said:

Yes, I have a fibre internet at the moment, which is why I am nervous about changing apartment

It's common for providers all over the world to "throttle" (slow down data) , especially on unlimited plans.

It happened to me with my phone plans in Australia, and it's also happened to me here in Thailand.

If someone's with a carrier, and their service doesn't get throttled , they are just lucky.....for the time being.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/carriers-throttle-online-videos-almost-all-the-time-according-to-tests/

Screenshot_2022_10_12_15_04_48@2x.jpg

Edited by Farangkie
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, kevin2013 said:

I might have to move apartment soon, and I am a bit nervous about the condo wifi service in new apartment.

I have a mobile phone with AIS, and my laptop. My plan is to use the mobile phone as a wifi hotspot for my laptop if the condo wifi is not good

AIS offer an unlimited data at 4mbps package 

Does anyone have any experience of doing this?

Is 4mpbs 'good enough' for normal usage eg surfing, emails, watching a few YouTube videos, maybe a few Zoom/Teams calls???

I won't be doing anything heavy like gaming, streaming movies, etc

I have dtac 8 mpbs 168 Baht 14 days and i can use it exactly this way. It’s only available inside the dtac app. Sim is only 50 Baht.

First 6 months I had 4Mbps, unlimited data AIS; running ROKU and laptop off the Samsung J7 mobile hotspot. Would slow down occasionally. Then I bought the 6Mbps, unlimited (3600bt 1 year from ais top up via 'myais' app). Still get stuttering sometimes between 6M and 9PM. 

Next time I'll buy via Lazada because I can get faster for less baht; even if I have to get another sim. BUT, you can try most any of the speeds for a day/week/month at a reasonable price point. Then if you are not satisfied you can try the other providers. 

They are cheap enough next time I'm going up to the 10Mbps, maybe faster.  I'm using 140GB for the Netflix, Youtube, PC emails monthly. Most all the GB is movies & youtube.

• Like 2

10mps unlimited data AIS Hotspot shared to a travel router, PC, 2 phones, printer, and android box. Never a problem streaming YouTube, movies, etc. 

I got this 200฿ per month about 3 years ago when covid hit. Don't know if they throttle or anything as I can't believe I'm still getting such a great deal after all these years. 

• Like 2

I use the AIS 20mbps unlimited data 30 day package at 300baht, excellent for netflix and the like, also hotspot on my ipad too no problems.

I bought a DTac sim through lazada, around 1300 baht, 20 Mbps unlimited data, good for 1 year.  Download speeds are Bang on 20 Mbps, upload a lot slower. This is my second such sim now, never had them throttle speed. I use right around 100 GB per month, maybe if you go way over that, they might throttle you. Only downside is no torrent downloading allowed. 

Overall amazing value for money, and certainly what I recommend if you are here for any length of time.