Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Wifi in my restaurant?

JomtienCafe

Hi, I have a maxnet connection in the office at my restaurant, is it easy to change this to wifi so my customers can use their laptops?

I am assuming it is just a small machine I can plug into my router, aerial or something?

All you need is a wireless router. An "N" type preferably as the range is greater (faster if your customer is setup for N) and its backward compatible with B and G wireless systems. You can also get a repeater to maximize your coverage. I would suggest you encrypt your signal and change it every week or so. No use having the business and apartments around you eat up all your bandwidth. Your staff can give paying customers the code. You simply have to train them to recognize a laptop or handheld or just put up a sign that says ask the staff to access WiFi.

Your customers will appreciate the service. Good luck!

Thanks, I understand some of that I think, so I need a wireless N router, the office is on the floor above the restaurant, the floor is concrete and tile though so it may need a repeater, I think putting the code in the menu would probably be the easiest rather than trying to explain all this to the staff.

Thanks for that.

Go to the TT&T office on Thepasit Rd and sign up for MaxNet. I think 599 per month. The 3 mb should be plenty for your area. They will install for you, if you want. You will need a phone to sign up for the internet. TT&T will make you sign up for their phone if you have TOT. If you only use the phone for internet the monthly phone charge is less than 200 baht.

Daylight was something God made so that life was not one endless party.

Nutosf

Thanks, I understand some of that I think, so I need a wireless N router, the office is on the floor above the restaurant, the floor is concrete and tile though so it may need a repeater, I think putting the code in the menu would probably be the easiest rather than trying to explain all this to the staff.

Thanks for that.

Normally a router can easily cover that without the use of a repeater. If you need any help instaling it, i can stop by beginning of May.

nutsof, I have maxnet there already, it came with a cable router though.

Me2995, I shall try it with just the router first but the restaurant is quite large and also has outside seating, have to wander round each table with my laptop I suppose to make sure it will cover the whole area, at my condo I do get about 10 other signals so it must travel quite far, but only one of them is open.

You can also try to get the network cable from the modem on the first floor to the restaurant and place the router there. Anyway the signal of most is quit strong. Use WPA security preferably, not WEP.

• 3 weeks later...

Just swap your current router with a linksys or billion WiFi router...

Go and setup the router (through your PC) via the routers control panel... normally you simply type in 192.168.1.1 into your browser to access the router...

Then assign a password or a series of passwords....

Then just hand out the PW to the customers.....

Thats the basics of it...

Thailand Airsoft The website is for sale. I am starting up a new Bitcoin project and need development funds... The Airsoft Site is being sold for 800,000 THB

Used to be anyway that Maxnet provided USB ADSL modems. Make sure you get a modem that outputs to regular ethernet.

Working at getting laid in Pattaya is like working at drowning at the bottom of the ocean.  If you want to get the most out of Pattaya, take the chicks for granted, and enjoy life like you would on any other holiday.