IGNORED

Dual sim Android phone and LINE etc

Despite owning several dual sim phones, I have never actually used more than one sim at a time before and could do with some advice. I asked a question about this in a separate thread, but as it was buried between poetry from the Middle Ages and a quote about smiling breasts it remains as yet unanswered/unread.

My plan was to put a Thai sim in the second sim card tray, so that I would have a UK and Thai sim concurrently. First question: is this a good idea, or should I just remove the UK sim completely? (My main UK phone will be left in the safe during my stay, this is a secondary phone with a UK PayG sim installed.) My secondary phone is a Samsung S20 if that matters.

Secondly, I do not really understand the dual sim, so I apologise for my ignorance. If I want to download LINE, Grab etc. should I do this before I leave the UK or wait until I arrive in Thailand? For LINE etc. I assume I want to be using the Thai number that comes with the Thai sim. Does this mean I have to wait to get the sim, or can I download to the phone beforehand? Whatsapp, for example, requires a phone number to register. Is LINE, Grab etc the same?

Finally, I seem to recall having problems using the Play Store in Germany as my Google account was from the UK. Should I just open a new Google account in Thailand to use the Play Store, or will everything then be in Thai?

Sorry for the basic questions but I'm from the generation who found typing 5318008 into a calculator and turning it upside down hilarious. My 40th birthday was a blast.

Any help/advice will be gratefully appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Fenster said:

My plan was to put a Thai sim in the second sim card tray, so that I would have a UK and Thai sim concurrently. First question: is this a good idea

Yes! Settings are fairly easy to set up. 

When you install line, register with an email and password so the account isn't tied up with your phone number. No problem doing that before you get here.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I also use a dual Sim phone here with a Sim from Aus and a Thai Sim.

I haven't really had any trouble with the play store, except for one or two Thai specific apps that aren't available in Aus. Creating a new free Google account that's registered as Thai was enough not fox that.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

26 minutes ago, Fenster said:

...... from the generation who found typing 5318008 into a calculator and turning it upside down .......

I'm trying to turn my phone upside down but.........

27 minutes ago, Edge said:

I'm trying to turn my phone upside down but.........

Ok I admit i tried with Ipad too…but Auto rotate kicked in.Never did get to find out what it was.

• Haha 2