IGNORED

Disaster recovery plans

rog555

I want to chat about how well we are prepared for major computer/phone issues.

Hopefully disasters wont happen, but over a 10,20 year period they are quite possible.

I do backups of my data (photos etc) to external drives stored in a safe, and do cloud based backups, synced storage too.  I take usb drives to offsite location too infrequently.

So at first I think I'm well prepared.

If my hard disc fails, I'd have several recovery routes.  That's the main risk I think.

But I ran through a few scenarios and pretty quickly my plans would fail to work perfectly.   

1.  A fire in my room, destroys original data disc and backups in room.   

So its the out of date offsite storage and the cloud storage that would be intact.   Pretty good, but cloud storage will take a few weeks to fully restore data, which is ok i guess.

2.  Theft of everything in my room. Similar, possibly more likely than a fire.   Same as 1, for fixing.

3.  A thai girl gets mad, and steals my local discs.   The safe based disc would be ok probably, if she hasnt sneaked the combination code.   Offsite discs ok, if out of date.

She might have device access and delete your cloud backups.......   

That's quite a nightmare scenario....

4. Ransomware, major flaw at cloud backup service.   Possibly only the offline discs would be of use.

5. Police arrest you and you are jailed for a few years.  All your cloud subscriptions expire, discs rust up.  All your data gone....

Overall I think I'm doing the best I can, so I'll not worry too much.   But these scenarios might cause BMs to check their plans.

The issue of privacy of data needs considering too.   Unencryted usb discs and cloud storage where you dont own keys is a worry.

Edited by rog555

Maybe you can also make a different priority/workflow for:

• data that is absolutely critical to have, losing this data can cause major problems down the road - what problems?
  • data that would be nice to keep