IGNORED

Thai LHR-BKK

Baddave

With the recently publicised staffing/baggage issues at Heathrow,has anyone arrived at swampy and found that there checked baggage hasn't  flown with them?

Currently 8 weeks out and trying to decide whether to just go carry on only or risk it and throw a bag in the hold. 

I was worried about this when I flew with Thai from Heathrow a few days ago. It appeared to be absolute chaos at check in, and with an oversize golf carry bag with some very expensive made to measure clubs inside, my trip could have been ruined if they went missing.

Needn't have worried,  they were on the carousel when I arrived after going through  immigration. I was also surprised how fast the immigration process was, and even got a welcome and flicker of a smile from the immigration officer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Being a direct flight the odds are in your favour you will see your bags ok.Did an indirect flight two weeks ago from Heathrow to Bkk no problems with baggage.Whenever I see people on here reporting baggage not getting to them they always seem to get it delivered to them next day.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news indeed. I am visiting LOS next month. Folks here at home were warning me about taking cabin-luggage only as checked bags are getting lost "all over the world" lol. I guess there's a lot of people that find it easier to live in fear these days 😉

I have visited 5 times previously and never had issues with checked luggage. I dare say if it was happening lots at Swampy today, we'd be reading about it here.

Took someone (a Thai National, friend of the wife) to LHR last Saturday evening for a flight back to BKK Via Phuket on Thai From T2. Flight was busy at check-in. Looked like lots of Brits heading to Phuket beaches. He was in Prem Economy- which I didn’t know existed on Thai. He also was a gold card member so was able to check in priority, so no hassles there.

His bags were well over weight allowance but he sweet talked the Thai lady working at check-in and she waived his bags through without any charge.

Problem came as he was bringing back a painting my wife had done which was oversized and security decided to hand search it. I think we were just unlucky this item  was picked as one of their quota for the day. Listening to the security staff talking to each other , they were saying how stretched they were and morale was really low. This took ages to do.

The other two issues were the guys bags would be offloaded at Phuket so he’d have to retrieve and check them in again for the flight to BKK, not automatically done for him which could see stuff go missing etc.

The other issue was the cost of his flight. Return Ticket was bought in BKK and was an eye watering 90K baht!!!

I got the feeling from what i saw last Saturday and the media reports/stories that it will be a bit like playing Russian Roulette as to how your trips/transit go, exiting and returning to/from UK airports. Personally, I have no plans to fly till next year. Mind you, the shit at Dover yesterday doesn’t fill you with confidence about other modes of transit either.

Despite the chaos the vast majority of bags still reach their destination as planned. 

I flew out 31st May. Thai Airways midday flight. From stepping into terminal 2 and getting through security took 2.5 hours.

Made the decision and I'll risk a bag in the hold. 

I'll pop one of my Smart tags in there and keep an eye on it to see if it makes the same flight. 

Hopefully in 5 weeks time,when the school  holidays are over,there will be slightly less disruption at T2