IGNORED

Korean Air from USA

User Name Eric

Well with my favorite airlines from the USA to Thailand not looking so good for November and December (EVA Air). 

I have been looking at different options for flights later this year and Korean Air keeps popping up with one of the better options.  Leaving from ORD (Chicago) I do have options but the whole idea of going east via Etihad, Turkish, and Qatar is not what I want to do.  Unless the price is right, 555.  So was looking at Korean Airlines and JAL Airlines.  Don't like the mid-day departure and late night arrival at BKK but it is what it is.

About the transfer at Seoul (ICN) would 50 mins be enough time to make that turnaround to BKK?

Also anyone have any opinions on these two airlines?  Can this transfer be made? 

Just a general discussion about Asian based airlines and options from USA to BKK.

I can't really be the only one that thinks EVA will not open flights up this year.

• Like 1

JAL is a great airline, great seats, enjoyable ride.

Haven't been on Korean air for years, but I can still smell the kimchee breath that permeated throughout the plane, 555

• Like 3

Prob would not be a Korean Air all the way. I had in the past booked Delta non stop Detroit to ICN, 45-50 minute layover and then Korean Air to BKK. Delta and Korean Air are "Sky Partners." KAL blows Delta away. The staff are also almost unreal beautiful. They still have standards where as Delta is high time grannies and "Odd men." Never had a baggage transfer issue despite the quick turn around, again, standards.

• Like 3

"If there are no Thai Bar Girls in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

1 hour ago, DINO212 said:

Prob would not be a Korean Air all the way. I had in the past booked Delta non stop Detroit to ICN, 45-50 minute layover and then Korean Air to BKK. Delta and Korean Air are "Sky Partners." KAL blows Delta away. The staff are also almost unreal beautiful. They still have standards where as Delta is high time grannies and "Odd men." Never had a baggage transfer issue despite the quick turn around, again, standards.

Agreed.  I’ve had plenty of sub-1 hr transfers between KAL-DAL and KAL- KAL through Incheon … easy peasy.  Even when the arriving flight is a little late, a KAL representative has sped through a group to the connecting flight.  Just make sure you’re booked all the way through on one itinerary.   I have no experience to report on checked baggage.  

And with a longer layover, ICN is a decent airport with decent lounges.   

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, momo5 said:

Agreed.  I’ve had plenty of sub-1 hr transfers between KAL-DAL and KAL- KAL through Incheon … easy peasy.  Even when the arriving flight is a little late, a KAL representative has sped through a group to the connecting flight.  Just make sure you’re booked all the way through on one itinerary.   I have no experience to report on checked baggage.  

And with a longer layover, ICN is a decent airport with decent lounges.   

I could spend all day at ICN watching the pretty Kgirls walk by. Such a change from the thundering hooves of American she beast.

"If there are no Thai Bar Girls in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

I’ve only had one flight delayed long enough to miss the next, it wasn’t Korean Air, but the airline made sure I had a seat on the next flight with a different airline. No luggage issues, only about an hour lat getting to BKK.  It shouldn’t be an issue. 

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

I've always been happy with Korean Air but I'd take JAL over it in a heart beat. Always nice to stop and use the bidet toilets at NRT to clean up all the ass sweat after sitting for such a long flight.

Edited by Ohyesuare
  • Like 2

If you are a frequent flyer of EVA, do you have any status with them ? As ANA also has flight from Chicago and is part of Star Alliance (which EVA belongs to). Flight from Chicago on ANA transit in NRT and arrive in Bangkok around midnight (I believe this is almost the same as JAL). Timing is not as good as EVA (which btw is also my favorite airlines to Thailand), but ANA their service,  food and lounges are excellent too.

I like JAL, and they have Thai stewardess, always easy on the eyes and willing to share LINE.  Dated one for a few years.

Traveled on both from SEA airport.

Flight experience similar. Both have above average crew and meal service IMHO.

Airports: I've had short layovers in both and I didn't have any trouble quickly getting to my gate. NRT has more amenities and services but they will all probably still be closed. Also NRT in January had very strict and inconvenient COVID rules.

My suggestion is to take whichever flight fits your schedule/price/ reward program better

20 hours ago, DINO212 said:

Truth!!  I flew to Philippines in February not long after they started allowing us back in.  Flew Delta from RDU to Atlanta and then Korean Air from Atlanta to ICN to Manila.  No kimchi smells, LOL to the person in an earlier comment.  The food and service was great and so was the plane.  On return it was Delta to Detroit and RDU.  Complete reversal of the experience. Flight attendants were old and overweight, only one good looking Korean one on board in case translations were needed.  Food was definitely not of the same quality as Korean Air.

I do agree with OP, I would have preferred EVA, especially since Cathay Pacific is a definite pass even if they were doing flights. 

Since you are going International flight to International flight, you are likely in the same Terminal at ICN and likely will be fine. If they were arriving/departing different Terminals, there is no way you would make it in 45 minutes, but the airlines know that and likely wouldn't schedule such a short layover.

I used to like Korean (get some beebimbap as my meal!), and its First class used to be a frequent flier sweet spot. They killed that years ago, and have few transfer partners for me to rebuild my account, so they fell by the wayside for me.

Like you, I am PRAYING that EVA comres back online, but not confident, especially after they just announced they are extending mileage expirations again (good that my miles won't expire as soon; bad that they don't expect award travel any time soon).

JAL has been a primary means for me to get to/from BKK, especially with a wealth of AA miles, BUT they have cancelled a few of my itineraries.

I need to look into a "Plan C" for my November trip, as I am currently booked on EVA, with Plan B being on Cathay. Neither is inspiring confidence at this point! 555

EDIT:

Just snagged my "Plan C" (which could easily move to Plan B, as I may scrap the Cathay award).

Coincidentally, I'm on JAL from LAX to Osaka (KIX), somewhat brutal 6-hour layover, then into BKK, arriving at the buttcrack of dawn (5 a.m.) on the day before my Plan A and Plan B flights arrive.

It was the last seat, so I jumped on it.

Having subsequently found nothing in my other searches (leaving from LAS, SAN, SFO, SEA or DFW), I'm pretty glad I jumped it when I did (although I inadvertently fucked myself -- by taking the last award seat, I cockblocked myself from using Alaska miles and getting my LAS-LAX connection for free). LAX-KIX leg doesn't leave until after 1 p.m., so plenty of time for me to hop a short/cheap OW.

One thing to note about the JAL KIX route - it is NOT the typical APEX 2-2-2 seating. LAX-KIX is reverse herringbone 1-2-1; KIX-BKK (sadly) is 2-2-2 without direct aisle access for window seats, but I got seat in middle section, so no risk of anyone climbing over me. Given that it is a midnight departure/5 a.m. arrival, that's pretty damn important to me.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

One thing to note about the JAL KIX route - it is NOT the typical APEX 2-2-2 seating. LAX-KIX is reverse herringbone 1-2-1; KIX-BKK (sadly) is 2-2-2 without direct aisle access for window seats, but I got seat in middle section, so no risk of anyone climbing over me. Given that it is a midnight departure/5 a.m. arrival, that's pretty damn important to me.

I'm stuck in similar for my JAL NRT-BKK leg on my upcoming trip. Chose a middle section seat for the same reasons. I believe these seats are lie-at-an-angle rather than lie-flat. At least my BKK-HND segment on the return is the reverse herringbone (Sky Suite III). The long legs of my trip are on AA metal and I'm fine with that. Just like I wouldn't mind Delta versus Korean who still has 2-3-2 lie flat business on some of their aircraft. Since I like to sleep most of the flight, my comfort is more important to me than the appearance of the flight attendents. Some people just assume Asian airlines are better than US ones, but I think the US airlines business class hard product compares quite well to most Asian carriers. I don't know how things compare in economy though.

I've had good experiences on both Korean and JAL and wouldn't hesitate to use either. Incheon is a great airport and I've had no problem with tight connections. My only warning is that their cabin temperature can sometimes be warmer than you might like for sleeping, so dress lightly. You can always add layers if you want to.

2 hours ago, bgtp said:

My only warning is that their cabin temperature can sometimes be warmer than you might like for sleeping, so dress lightly. You can always add layers if you want to.

Excellent point that I had forgotten!

• 2 months later...

Its funny you guys mention EVA Air here. I see flights for Eva Air on my searches for November and they are the cheapest available flights. The flights are still pretty expensive from what they used to be though.

Korea and Taiwan are my favorite layover airports because of the free showers and rest areas. For those reasons i've been trying to fly Eva Air, Korean Air and Asiana Air.

Just curious but Are the airfare prices not coming down lower than this because China hasn't really reopened yet? 

Edited by Bobby G

I'm sure that is a factor (no cheap fares on mainland Chinese carriers to compete against), but airfares in general are going through the roof.

People have a pent up demand to travel, and airlines are capitalizing on it.

• Like 2

I have been monitoring for around World Cup time. 

I have noticed that the prices got as low as 920$us and jumped back up to 1020$ in a matter of a day.

Going to purchase around the end of August or beginning of September unless the price drops drastic.  

I hope the prices hold or come down a bit.  At least Taiwan doesn't need PCR test anymore.

• Like 1