IGNORED

NON-IMMIGRANT VISA TYPE O-A, for Australian - help!

Sloracer

I'm planning to apply for this visa for travel in July. I get the requirements for visa form, health certificate and police certificate but I'm still a little confused about insurance requirements.

So if anyone has been through this recently or knows the ropes please advise me. Or if there is a better way to to this altogether, like from Thailand, then let me know, but I want to keep it totally legit.

Insurance ??

Does it need to be full health insurance for the 12 months or can it be travel insurance?

The information on the website, see below, implies that I need to use a Thai based insurer, they even provide a list of suggestions. Is this the case or can I use any provider. I'd prefer to use an Australian based travel insurance fir the first year.

Then you need to provide a foreign Insurance certificate,which kind of implies that it is needed for a foreign Insurance provider. Or are they just referring to insurance for a foreigner.

Health insurance
A certificate of health insurance issued by Thai insurance companies covering the entire period of stay in Thailand containing the detail of coverage as follows; In-house patients of not less than THB 400,000/policy year, as for out-patients, not less than THB 40,000/policy year. You are requested to obtain health insurance for at least 1 year.

COVID-19, with minimum coverage of 100,000 USD

Foreign Insurance Certificate
- Foreign Insurance Certificate as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and Health Insurance of Thailand, which must be completed, signed and stamped by the insurance company.

1 hour ago, Sloracer said:

I'm planning to apply for this visa for travel in July. I get the requirements for visa form, health certificate and police certificate but I'm still a little confused about insurance requirements.

So if anyone has been through this recently or knows the ropes please advise me. Or if there is a better way to to this altogether, like from Thailand, then let me know, but I want to keep it totally legit.

Insurance ??

Does it need to be full health insurance for the 12 months or can it be travel insurance?

The information on the website, see below, implies that I need to use a Thai based insurer, they even provide a list of suggestions. Is this the case or can I use any provider. I'd prefer to use an Australian based travel insurance fir the first year.

Then you need to provide a foreign Insurance certificate,which kind of implies that it is needed for a foreign Insurance provider. Or are they just referring to insurance for a foreigner.

Health insurance
A certificate of health insurance issued by Thai insurance companies covering the entire period of stay in Thailand containing the detail of coverage as follows; In-house patients of not less than THB 400,000/policy year, as for out-patients, not less than THB 40,000/policy year. You are requested to obtain health insurance for at least 1 year.

COVID-19, with minimum coverage of 100,000 USD

Foreign Insurance Certificate
- Foreign Insurance Certificate as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and Health Insurance of Thailand, which must be completed, signed and stamped by the insurance company.

For your initial application the insurance can be with a foreign company (presumably Australian in your case) or a Thai company. Just make sure they will provide paperwork in a format acceptable to the Embassy. For subsequent annual Extension of Stay in Thailand the insurance will have to be with an approved Thai company - unless the foreign company will sign a form which not many are willing to do.

Sadly, the Non O ‘for Retirement’ is not available in Australia (it is in many countries) so you are limited. However, if your plan is to retire to Thailand and live there permanently/semi-permanently then my strong advice is to get a Tourist Visa from the Embassy in Australia and then convert to a Non O inside Thailand. This means you will not have to buy the specific local Health Insurance each year for your Extensions of Stay.

You can do the conversion yourself or pay an agent.

If you plan to travel between Thailand and Australia on a regular basis then the Non O-A could still be the better option.

• Like 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

27 minutes ago, davidge said:

my strong advice is to get a Tourist Visa from the Embassy in Australia and then convert to a Non O inside Thailand. This means you will not have to buy the specific local Health Insurance each year for your Extensions of Stay.

This is very sound advice and should be given serious consideration. I opted to go this path. I would for the 1st Retirement Visa recommend using a reputable agent. Thereafter,  the annuals renewals can be a DIY,

28 minutes ago, davidge said:

For your initial application the insurance can be with a foreign company (presumably Australian in your case) or a Thai company. Just make sure they will provide paperwork in a format acceptable to the Embassy. For subsequent annual Extension of Stay in Thailand the insurance will have to be with an approved Thai company - unless the foreign company will sign a form which nit many are willing to do.

Sadly, the Non O ‘for Retirement’ is not available in Australia (it is in many countries) so you are limited. However, if your plan is to retire to Thailand and live there permanently/semi-permanently then my strong advice is to get a Tourist Visa from the Embassy in Australia and then convert to a Non O inside Thailand. This means you will not have to buy the specific local Health Insurance each year for your Extensions of Stay.

If you plan to travel between Thailand and Australia on a regular basis then the Non O-A could still be the better option.

Thanks for your help you're a great asset to the forum.

So can i just buy travel insurance for 12 months or does have to be full health insurance.

I do plan to retire in Thailand but trying to realistic, the first 12 month will be a test.

While I wouldn't necessarily plan to travel to Australia in the first 12 months, I would like to visit other Asian countries like Vietnam and Philippines. So Thai based non O doesn't allow multi entry?

7 minutes ago, Sloracer said:

Thanks for your help you're a great asset to the forum.

So can i just buy travel insurance for 12 months or does have to be full health insurance.

I do plan to retire in Thailand but trying to realistic, the first 12 month will be a test.

While I wouldn't necessarily plan to travel to Australia in the first 12 months, I would like to visit other Asian countries like Vietnam and Philippines. So Thai based non O doesn't allow multi entry?

You buy a multiple re-entry permit with the Non O and can come and go as often as you like. The agents will quote for this with the initial conversion.

For the Non O-A the insurance must be full Health Insurance of the required amount plus including the Covid insurance. Some Embassies had started asking for the new much higher amount of cover so that needs to be checked.

The only time I’d say the Non O-A is still a better option is if you were thinking of spending half the year in Thailand and half the year in Australia. Otherwise, I’d go for the TR and convert to Non O.

CORRECTION

I just looked at the RTE Canberra website for the first time in a while and they have now finally added the Non O for Retirement! Good news for Aussies.

You do still need the Health Insurance for the initial application but not for any subsequent Extension of Stays.

CATEGORY “O” (For Retirement: valid for 90 days)

1. Eligible Applicants for O (Retirement) Visa

o This category of visa is issued to the applicant who is an Australian national
or a permanent resident currently residing in Australia aged over 50 years old and is currently residing in Australia.

1. O (Retirement) Visa Conditions

o Holder of O (Retirement) Visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 90 days (Single entry).

o Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

o If the O (Retirement) Visa holder breaches the entry conditions (for example, if he/she engages in work-related activities), the stay permit will be revoked and he/she will be prohibited from entering Thailand in the future.

1. O (Retirement) Visa Application Procedures

o Each applicant must submit a complete application form together with the required documents* to the Royal Thai Embassy, Canberra by post or in person. Prepare required documents as follows:

o Required Document

3.1 Completed Visa Application Form  Download-Here.png

3.2 Three (3) passport-sized photographs affix to the visa application form

•  Size 3.5 x 4.5 cm.
  • White background and no older than 6 months

3.3 Passport

• An actual passport with minimum validity of 18 months from the date of planned entry to Thailand
  • Must have at least two empty pages
  • A copy of passport (bio data page)

3.4 Proof of an Australian Electronic Visa (only for Permanent Resident in Australia)

• Visa grant page or VEVO check status page

3.5 Proof of adequate finance

• A bank statement in the past six months showing a deposit account with the minimum fund of THB 20,000 per person

3.6 Health Insurance

• A certificate of health insurance issued by Thai insurance companies covering the entire period of stay in Thailand containing the detail of coverage as follows; In-house patients of not less than THB 400,000/policy year, as for out-patients, not less than THB 40,000/policy year. More information can be found on https://longstay.tgia.org/
  • A photo of medical insurance policy (in English) which expressly covers treatment and medical expenses in relation to COVID-19, with minimum coverage of 100,000 USD. The insurance must cover the total duration of stay in Thailand.

3.7 Additional Supporting Documents

• Driver License or other photo ID

3.8 Visa fee

• AUD 120 (Payment can be made by cash, debit, money order, or cheque, paid to“Royal Thai Embassy, Canberra”)

3.9 A Prepaid Return envelope with self-address

3.10 O (Retirement) visa processing times

• Visa processing time is up to 10 days
  • Certain applications which require special consideration may take longer to process.

Also note that for the Non O-A they are requiring the new increased insurance coverage of 3 million baht. 

CATEGORY “O-A” (For Retirement long stay: valid for 1 year)

1. Eligible Applicants for O-A Visa

o This category of visa is issued to the applicant who is an Australian national or a permanent resident currently residing in Australia whose age is 50 years or over and are currently residing in Australia.

2. O-A Visa Conditions

o Holder of O-A Visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for one year.

o Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

o Spouses of holders of O-A Visa will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ Visa if they do not qualify to apply for the O-A Visa themselves. A duly notarised marriage certificate must be provided as evidence.

o If the O-A Visa holder breaches the entry conditions (for example, if he/she engages in work-related activities), the stay permit will be revoked and he/she will be prohibited from entering Thailand in the future.

3. O-A Visa Application Procedures

o Each applicant must submit a complete application form together with the required documents* to the Royal Thai Embassy, Canberra by post or in person. Prepare required documents as follows:

o Required Document (The following documents must be provided in 3 sets (1 original set and 2 copies set (Must be certified by a Justice of the Peace 😞

3.1 Completed Visa Application Form  Download-Here.png

3.2 Three (3) passport-sized photographs affix to the visa application form

•  Size 3.5 x 4.5 cm.
  • White background and no older than 6 months

3.3 Passport

• An actual passport with minimum validity of 18 months from the date of planned entry to Thailand
  • Must have at least two empty pages
  • A copy of passport (bio data page)

3.4 Proof of adequate finance

• Copy of updated bank statement providing of adequate finances:
  • a deposit account of at least THB 800,000, or
  • an income statement with a monthly salary of THB 65,000, or
  • a deposit account plus monthly income of no less than THB 800,000 a year

3.5 Health Insurance

• a certificate of health insurance policy issued by Thai insurance companies which covers all kind of medical treatment ( both in-house patient and out-patient) and includes COVID-19 related treatment, with the minimum coverage of 3,000,000 THB, during the entire period of stay in Thailand. More information for the health insurance can be found on https://longstay.tgia.org/

• The applicant who prefer to use health insurance policy issued by foreign insurance companies for the visa application must furnish a completed “Insurance Certificate”, as well as a copy of certificate of health insurance policy that which covers all kind of medical treatment ( both in-house patient and out-patient) and includes COVID-19 related treatment, with the minimum coverage of 3,000,000 THB during the entire period of stay in Thailand. The Insurance Certificate as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and Health Insurance of Thailand, must be completed, signed and stamped by the insurance company. The Insurance Certificate form is available at https://longstay.tgia.org/document/foreign_insurance_certificate.pdf

If the applicant is refused to purchase the health insurance by the insurance company, the applicant can submit additional documents as follows:

(1) Letter of refusal to purchase health insurance from a Thai or foreign insurance company.

(2) A copy of an up-to-date bank statement with a minimum balance of THB 3,000,000 or AUD 125,000 maintained in the bank account for 2 months prior to the application.

(3) The combined of the other health insurance for the coverage of no less than THB 3,000,000.

3.6 Police Clearance Certificate

3.7 Medical Certificate Form

• A complete “Medical Certificate Form” with a valid/legal rubber stamp of medical doctor to confirm its authenticity, issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535).

3.8 Additional Supporting Documents

• Driver License or other photo ID

3.9 Visa fee

• AUD 300 (Payment can be made by cash, money order, or cheque, paid to “Royal Thai Embassy, Canberra”)

3.10 A prepaid return envelope with self-address

4. O-A Visa processing times

o Visa processing time is up to 5 business days.

o Certain applications which require special consideration may take longer to process

7 minutes ago, davidge said:

You buy a multiple re-entry permit with the Non O and can come and go as often as you like. The agents will quote for this with the initial conversion.

For the Non O-A the insurance must be full Health Insurance of the required amount plus including the Covid insurance. Some Embassies had started asking for the new much higher amount of cover so that needs to be checked.

The only time I’d say the Non O-A is still a better option is if you were thinking of spending half the year in Thailand and half the year in Australia. Otherwise, I’d go for the TR and convert to Non O.

That sounds like the best option, I don't mind paying an agent, prefer it actually.

So, to summarise. Don’t get the Non O-A. Either get the Non O from Canberra which means you can then get a 12-month Extension of Stay after 3 months, or get a TR and convert in Thailand.

Personally (and it’s something I might do at some point) I’d enter on a TR and then pay an agent and that’s 15 months in Thailand sorted.

The only complication is that you might need to book a return flight within the 60 day visa timeframe then cancel or change it.

10 minutes ago, davidge said:

So, to summarise. Don’t get the Non O-A. Either get the Non O from Canberra which means you can then get a 12-month Extension of Stay after 3 months, or get a TR and convert in Thailand.

Personally (and it’s something I might do at some point) I’d enter on a TR and then pay an agent and that’s 15 months in Thailand sorted.

The only complication is that you might need to book a return flight within the 60 day visa timeframe then cancel or change it.

Thank you, let me know when you're in town so I can shout you a few rounds.