IGNORED

The Base Condo the Good the Bad & the Ugly

basilchicken

Can't disagree with most of @baisalchichens assessment. We also experience the same deterioration especially the balcony railing shots. It's really a shame owners don't maintain their rental units to an acceptable level to attract folks, but guess one of the risks of illegal condo renting as opposed to an established hotel. I don't use pools often and agree totally inadequate for hotel use, as is the elevator situation. 

Those cracks in the balcony railing anchor points are frightening. 

• Thanks 3

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

Great and detailed review. I've considered staying there at different times, was some good deals during COVID but wow, now I'm really glad I didn't. That unit looks horrible and the experience sounds awful, I hate waiting for the elevators and nasty smells in the hallway. When using AirBNB, I ALWAYS avoid any Chinese owners or units that cater to Chinese and it has worked out well for me so far, even though I know I'm overpaying but I like having that little bit more reassuring AirBNB protection.

VT6 is much older and pretty basic but I've never seen or experienced any of those kinds of issues or badly maintained units like that.

Edited by Ohyesuare

1 hour ago, Ohyesuare said:

VT6 is much older and pretty basic but I've never seen or experienced any of those kinds of issues or badly maintained units like that.

The guys I know that live/lived there complain bout 5 or 6 Indian guys renting a studio to save a few baht. Did see two couples checking into 1 bed unit on our floor at the Base, so it happens all over.

Edited by jetdoc

2 hours ago, jetdoc said:

The guys I know that live/lived there complain bout 5 or 6 Indian guys renting a studio to save a few baht.

Why would anyone care about 5 or 6 people sharing a room? 

Not like you have to share it with them 

4 hours ago, likeaking said:

Those cracks in the balcony railing anchor points are frightening. 

And that too on the 29th Floor! I took pictures and uploaded Everything on AirBnb to show them what a horrible listing this was! Structural Defects I mean come on. 

Since I "cancelled" my reservation, Airbnb "Closed" my earlier claim, so Ill have to refile a claim request. 

4 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

Great and detailed review. I've considered staying there at different times, was some good deals during COVID but wow, now I'm really glad I didn't. That unit looks horrible and the experience sounds awful, I hate waiting for the elevators and nasty smells in the hallway. When using AirBNB, I ALWAYS avoid any Chinese owners or units that cater to Chinese and it has worked out well for me so far, even though I know I'm overpaying but I like having that little bit more reassuring AirBNB protection.

My latest case is a perfect example of when things can go horribly wrong with AirBnb; they have not even REPLIED yet to my claim!! They practically give 0 support, just like any ecommerce site/app, Amazon Grab Uber etc etc, they provide a great service, but if & when things go wrong, theres Zero Support & Zero accountability. Go figure. 

1 hour ago, Gonetothedogs said:

Yes but usually whoever rents these units only rents for 1 person, as AirBnb increases cleaning & service fee for Number of Guests in Reservations. So if you end up putting 5-6 Guests, the price rises to maybe more than a hotel room. 

These units are designed for 1-2 people living in them; so when a group of 5-6 peope shares one, if you are next door or even in the same narrow, long hallway, you can just generally hear ALL

the commotion, the talking, the cabinet or doors opening/shutting; its like you can feel the 5-6 people living next to you. It just cramps up the entire hallway. Worst is when the "lets get drunk on the tiny balcony" group arrives, it just ruins the peace/calm of the floor. And theres No One to address that crowd to keep it down etc. 

The main reason The Base is in such poor condition is also 100% as the owners are typically in China - this is Long Distance Rental Unit Sharing model! So owner really has no oversight or clue to the reality on the ground. 

On the other side the cleaning crew - the Thai maids who clean/prepare these units for guests, are probably paid poorly, or just dont give a F about cleaning, or combo of both.

I ordered mid week cleaning once for 300bht; the 2 guys "cleaned" everything in 5 mins, using ripped up newspaper as cleaning cloth to wipe down tables! They DONT BLEACH CLEAN THE BATHROOM!! which is like ultra crucial for hygiene. They just flush the toilet while scrubbing. Essentially they use NO CLEANING SUPPLIES!! So mold cockroaches weird smells etc etc are becoming so prevalent in units. 5 yrs of total rental abuse, and yea this is what you get.  So its a failure on part of every party involved in this. 

Cant imagine the resale value, esp now after covid. Its fuckt in so many words Im sure. This project is DONE. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, basilchicken said:

My latest case is a perfect example of when things can go horribly wrong with AirBnb; they have not even REPLIED yet to my claim!! They practically give 0 support, just like any ecommerce site/app, Amazon Grab Uber etc etc, they provide a great service, but if & when things go wrong, theres Zero Support & Zero accountability. Go figure. 

If they never respond to you, you can do a chargeback if you paid by PayPal or credit card directly with them. You will most likely be banned from using AirBNB again though if you do this. I agree their support is pretty shitty.

Oh, well that’s it for me. I’m an exclusive vt6 guy, but have thought about trying the base or even the edge, but I guess not now. Generally it saddens me to see, even at the rooms I keep coming back to in vt6, that they don’t try to maintain (remove mold in showers, change damaged chairs or cabins etc)these otherwise awesome condo’s better. I suppose it’s a Thai thing as well. Have thought about getting a condo at the big city near my wife’s village to retire in in about 25 - 30 years, but can’t help but wonder how the state of that condo would be if we only come once or twice a year.

4 hours ago, Gonetothedogs said:

Seems it's about traffic and noise.

3 hours ago, basilchicken said:

On the other side the cleaning crew - the Thai maids who clean/prepare these units for guests, are probably paid poorly, or just dont give a F about cleaning, or combo of both.

Wife says most aren't Thai.

4 hours ago, basilchicken said:

The main reason The Base is in such poor condition is also 100% as the owners are typically in China - this is Long Distance Rental Unit Sharing model! So owner really has no oversight or clue to the reality on the ground. 

I ordered mid week cleaning once for 300bht; the 2 guys "cleaned" everything in 5 mins, using ripped up newspaper as cleaning cloth to wipe down tables! They DONT BLEACH CLEAN THE BATHROOM!! which is like ultra crucial for hygiene. They just flush the toilet while scrubbing. Essentially they use NO CLEANING SUPPLIES!! So mold cockroaches weird smells etc etc are becoming so prevalent in units. 5 yrs of total rental abuse, and yea this is what you get.  So its a failure on part of every party involved in this. 

Cant imagine the resale value, esp now after covid. Its fuckt in so many words Im sure. This project is DONE. 

Are you ok?

• Haha 1

The first question I ask is why you were renting there in the first place??

Of all the condo options in Pattaya there is absolutely nothing that motivates me to want to stay at the Base.

Long Times for lifts. Crowded Pools. Packed Buildings

Honestly I would love to know why you want to stay in a place like this regardless of how cheap it is. When there are plentiful options available elsewhere 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

7 hours ago, Tuna Town said:

The first question I ask is why you were renting there in the first place??

Of all the condo options in Pattaya there is absolutely nothing that motivates me to want to stay at the Base.

Long Times for lifts. Crowded Pools. Packed Buildings

Honestly I would love to know why you want to stay in a place like this regardless of how cheap it is. When there are plentiful options available elsewhere 

in pre-covid december, they were asking about £650 gbp a month. About 28k baht.

There are no other condo's in that area on the bus route, whereby you can book a flight and then be sure to find a 1 month availability. 

I've done maybe 4 x 1 month and won't stay in condo A that backs onto soi buakhau. Not had any issues in B. It looks tired and after 30 days i want out, but there is little alternative.

Just booked up to stay there in September but might change now.

Thanks for the detailed review.

I stayed in the Base in Feb 20 for a month, the Chinese had fled in the face of Covid, so pleasant quiet stay, no issues with lifts but great views and centrally located.
The pool was the big problem, it is scorching up there and no shade for the limited sunbeds. Also one day got into the pool and saw a turd floating about 3" away. No particular hurry with the staff to do anything about it. That was the end of my love affair with Base.

Just back from spending the month with VT6. Difference is night and day. Much better for mongering, bigger space generally. The pool is much cleaner but no shade. 
Far prefer VT6 

• Like 3

Couple pics railing our condo

image.thumb.jpeg.dfd9e7fe3d430d806d8f889518ec5156.jpeg image.thumb.jpeg.3f305a3c6c969ef6bb0b74f1ebe4778f.jpeg 

The railing is structurally sound so just the finish work flaking off. Wife will probably repair as she has lots of experience in building trade.

Pics of wife's Base condo

image.jpeg.ec50c1c8241680cd4d1cf9cec9ad24ff.jpeg 

From l/b

image.jpeg.f90865b1b138157ef0195725c1e33f55.jpeg 

hung nam

image.jpeg.8df9bff51fb455ffe8cc4706e7af045c.jpeg  

4500w digital heater, like a lot.

image.jpeg.b57ad34445c0d19b6645051138044cb9.jpeg 

over kill tuna but lots of cold beer ;o) notice missing hob, installed induction to gain counter space

image.jpeg.304368f9b88c22080eb76b6494fd0b24.jpeg 

my corner

image.jpeg.f277f89fac6bdc3669ca4ec918008408.jpeg 

table a bit large so replaced with bar stools, not a real big guy but do need a bit of room to move around. If we move to a larger condo, would advise her to sell (she can sell for 500k less than buy in due to hotel savings over the years of use) or long term rent only. My tv is 49" with voice recognition, bedroom 43".

Update: AirBnb refunded the entire amount of reservation.

Thats also because I submitted detailed photos and explanation, plus it took them 5 days just to address the issue, AFTER I had cancelled and moves out already.

I had to call AirBnb customer service, speak to a Thai AirBnb employee who then handled the case personally. 

The host had the audacity to ask me why I filed the complaint, that she was 'disappointed' by me. Think of that - a Thai property agent getting paid by Chinese owner of a tiny condo with zero maintainence & unfit to live conditions surprised why this business model wasnt as profitable as all the parties involved thought!!  Someone will buy property, that someone will give it to someone else miles away to rent it out daily as a hotel to someone arriving from around the world. I am back to staying at hotels 😃🏼 not this new sharing economy model. 

33 minutes ago, basilchicken said:

I am back to staying at hotels 😃🏼 not this new sharing economy model.

Good to hear, wish others will do the same. Maybe the land tax for hotels will encourage them to put pressure on authorities to enforce the laws. Note holding my breath. 

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for these detailed reviews. I was considering to stay at the base for my next trip planned for December but after reading the above, I'm deleting all the base listings added to my favorites on Agoda.

Will stick to hotels unless you guys recommend other apartments or condos.

• Like 2