IGNORED

ED-Visa for 9 months- 46k

mtlmuaythai

Hey guys,

hope everyone is doing well during these uncertain times!

im hoping to get back over to Thailand this September for a long term stay so I’ve been inquiring on getting a ED Visa at a pattaya language school.

im actually down to attend classes- wouldn’t mind upping my Thai skills.

So here’s the quote I got from Pro language school…Not sure where she’s getting 9 months from, thought it was a 6 month or 12 month deal depending on how many hours you purchase.

« « « This is the price for applying for an Education Visa.

The cost for an ED visa is 46,000 THB for 9 Months Including  90 Hours Thai course.

Thai course 90 Hours is 23,000 THB
Change to ED visa is 13,000 THB
Extension 1st is 5,000 THB
Extension 2nd is 5,000 THB

The study time will be 2 hours per day, 2 days per week. » » »

Is this pretty much the going rate? Or is there other decent schools that I could maybe get a better deal?

Also I was thinking maybe I could save a few baht if I decided to present myself at immigration to do my extensions myself.

Thanks in advance gents!

1 hour ago, mtlmuaythai said:

Hey guys,

im hoping to get back over to Thailand this September for a long term stay so I’ve been inquiring on getting a ED Visa at a pattaya language school.

So here’s the quote I got from Pro language school…Not sure where she’s getting 9 months from, thought it was a 6 month or 12 month deal depending on how many hours you purchase.

The cost for an ED visa is 46,000 THB for 9 Months Including  90 Hours Thai course.

Is this pretty much the going rate? Or is there other decent schools that I could maybe get a better deal?

Also I was thinking maybe I could save a few baht if I decided to present myself at immigration to do my extensions myself.

Thanks in advance gents!

It's a long time since I had an ED visa (connected to a TEFL course) and then took Thai lessons, but I have a few observations.

I assume the Thai lessons are group lessons. The price is too low for private lessons but about 50% higher than I paid for group lessons.

Previously the visa was for a total of 12 months.

The 13k for the visa itself might be OK depending on what else is involved. When I did it the school charged 5k baht for the application to the education ministry and then you had to go to an embassy outside the country to actually get the visa. Visa trips to Laos at the time were about 9k baht by minibus. If it's 13k to get the visa without going outside the country I'd be tempted to take it rather than having to go to Laos.

The process for getting the extension changed when I was still taking Thai lessons. Rather than getting a stamp for the extra 90 days, they started giving a 21 day temporary extension. That gave them time to supposedly check you were attending lessons, before you went back to get the full extension. Alternatively if you paid a 3000 baht supplement on top of the standard 1900 baht extension fee they would give the full 90 day extension immediately. With the horror stories I am hearing from people who have been to Immigration recently I'd suggest paying the 5k up front to avoid a lot of hassle.

In the current Covid world I am not sure how many schools are offering ED visas but I would suggest trying to find other options.

Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, mtlmuaythai said:

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance gents!

The nine months is after you have your 60 +30  holiday visa.

I contacted them last year and was given the same figures 

I think it goes like this...Get to thailand on 30 day visa, extend for 60 days ...then before expiry, start 9 month ed visa (+ language lessons).

What happens in year 2? ...do you have to leave the country and return? 

1 hour ago, Shamrocksam said:

The nine months is after you have your 60 +30  holiday visa.

I contacted them last year and was given the same figures 

Oh ok, I understand. I guess there anticipating that I’d come in on a single entry tourist visa…

1 hour ago, taylor1975 said:

I think it goes like this...Get to thailand on 30 day visa, extend for 60 days ...then before expiry, start 9 month ed visa (+ language lessons).

What happens in year 2? ...do you have to leave the country and return? 

I’d probably come home next summer anyways- visit my parents and head back when the Canada winter starts cracking down! 

Hi

used them once pre-pandemic and again attempted say 4 months ago

Not wanting to get into too much details 

it's a predatory company managed  out of BKK by a guy called Mohammad Khan 

It's the whole bait and switch scam , they change their prices after quoting you a number and then if you refuse they hold your passport hostage

the English speaking person in Pattaya is Sara and her office Manager Pou .... both POS

they don't care about the students , learning , or any level of professionalism. Just bait you in and explode you since you have no other alternative after you are already out 50-60 k already 

teachers are family member of the owner and office manager with zero interest in education or the know how 

and of course there is never a refund 

hope you haven't paid them yet

as for obtaining semi long term visa they are much cheaper options that you can find on this site 

best of luck 

• Like 2

On 10/03/2022 at 22:22, mtlmuaythai said:

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance gents!

If you go and do the extensions yourself, they have the option to test your language skills and see if you are actually learning anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Only_One said:

Hi

used them once pre-pandemic and again attempted say 4 months ago

Not wanting to get into too much details 

it's a predatory company managed  out of BKK by a guy called Mohammad Khan 

It's the whole bait and switch scam , they change their prices after quoting you a number and then if you refuse they hold your passport hostage

the English speaking person in Pattaya is Sara and her office Manager Pou .... both POS

they don't care about the students , learning , or any level of professionalism. Just bait you in and explode you since you have no other alternative after you are already out 50-60 k already 

teachers are family member of the owner and office manager with zero interest in education or the know how 

and of course there is never a refund 

hope you haven't paid them yet

as for obtaining semi long term visa they are much cheaper options that you can find on this site 

best of luck 

Haven’t paid them yet! Thanks for the heads up man! I’ll search for another school. 

im actually considering staying in Jomtien so I’ll look in that area for a better school. 

thanks again! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mtlmuaythai said:

im actually considering staying in Jomtien

My pleasure 

glad they didn't get you

this next thought is super  undeveloped , just something I was contemplating before, so please take it with a shovel of salt 

Nonetheless, if you still want to pursue an ED visa and you are into fitness there are Muay Thai "schools" that offer "education" visas as well.  I'm confident many of them are sketchy too. But if you find a legit one. While you are here you'll learn an important life skill that stays with you forever and you'll get ripped and a have the chance to hang with some solid Thai dudes to show the "Cha Yan Yen" way. Invaluable. 

Welcome to Pattaya. You are going to love it here. 

P.S. I just moved away from Jometien 30-40 days ago. I love the area and the beaches. Yet 3 things didn't set well with me 1. It's super family oriented part of town (no street action that you want to be a part of) 2. you need to use some type of motor vehicle to get to anywhere there is action 3. Very far from major shops.

• Like 1