Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Seeking recommendations on where and what new computer to buy.

how122255

I think it's time for a new computer.  I bought my last HP laptop computer in 2014, at Walmart for $250 USD.  It is still working OK and does everything I need. It is not causing any problems now but I would rather get a new computer now before this one dies on me.  It is 8 years old.  I live in Pattaya full time so I am looking to buy locally or online.  I do not do any gaming or photo editing,  just general web surfing.  I do not want a used or refurbished machine.  I don't need to buy the cheapest machine either.  I think a mid priced machine would be best.  I would like it to  have Windows factor installed.  I don't really know about these 'netbooks, Chromebooks, or tablets'  and if they might be better. I was looking on the NEWEGG site and it seems like computer prices are  MUCH-MUCH higher than I remembered.  Maybe all the chip shortages I have been reading about how push up prices a Lot.  Fortunately,  money is not a big issue for me .  I would appreciate any info or thoughts on what my next machine should be.  Looking on that NEWEGG site is very confusing as they offer so many types of computers form 10K-100K baht.  Thanks for any help you can offer. 

http://www.wattana.co.th/index.php/th/

Used them - very professional - Pattaya Klang opposite Foodland

https://www.invadeit.co.th/

Recommended by several people - but at the time I was buying Dell and wanted to deal with a Partner

I have 3 PCs this one is the last I bought on Lazada a year ago and is great for what you want the PC for. It is fast lots of Ports supports 3 display devices and has been trouble free it is a Celeron processor which i was concerned about as it gets a bad rap but after doing some research found it would be no issues for me and what i need it for and will be just what you need as well. I have recommended this to others as well. 

Annotation 2022-02-07 074431.png

Edited by Soi7

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

I bought a new one in 2016 (HP). After 2 years I did an upgrade of the HD and got a 1TB SSD. The transfer was easy and I then maxed out the RAM. 

It's fast enough and new enough for me now and I paid $400 in 2016 for all the parts. I did it myself as it's an easy job. I did a scan here and found the parts I needed. 

https://www.crucial.com/upgrades

Many shops in Pattaya can do this for you and it's a 1 day process

Edited by Greg_B

Since you live in Pattaya, I'd take a wander down to Banana IT, JIB, and PowerBuy and take a look at what they have on display. Computer hardware is more expensive in Thailand than it is back in the US, but there is some value in getting it here with a shop that has a decent repair policy. Warranty repair in Thailand is going to be done by Synnex, but if the shop you bought the computer at will deal with Synnex for you, it can be more convenient for you. 

If you are the type of person who likes to touch stuff before you buy it, wandering down to Banana IT, JIB, and/or PowerBuy will satisfy that preference for you. For me, I tend to spend a month or two reading reviews and then ordering online, but not everyone is comfortable with that large a purchase sight unseen. 

12 hours ago, how122255 said:

I do not do any gaming or photo editing,  just general web surfing.  I do not want a used or refurbished machine. 

My own biased opinion based on the above: I'd say you don't need any more than an i3, but if you want some future-proofing, no more than an i5. I would say 8 gigs of ram. You could get by with less, and you don't really need any more. I'd suggest around a 500GB storage drive, SSD if possible. The reason for that for you will be primarily boot time for the computer to power up. The 'feel' of a system with a solid state drive vs a spinning drive is significant.  

My biggest grip with tablets and Chromebooks is the planned obsolescence built into the Android operating system. CPU manufacturers stop updating the SDK for a particular chip, so they reach a version level of the Android operating system and can't be updated anymore. Application software keeps using features for the latest version of the Android operating system so with Android, after a few years, you get to the point where you can't update your OS, and because you can't update your OS, you can't update your applications. I don't mind this in a cell phone that I'm going to replace in a few years, but I'm not willing to do so with a tablet that I would want to keep for five to ten years. 

Now, I do have a tablet that I use for travel, and portability. I enjoy it a lot. And unlike my Samsung 10.1 tablet that still has fine hardware but is software obsolete, my Windows tablet gets updates just fine, and I have every expectation it will continue to get updates just fine. So, my own recommendation if you're going for portability, and cost is not the deciding factor, I'd suggest going with a Windows based tablet rather than an Android based tablet. Tablets are exceptional when portability is a main factor. The one I got is a Microsoft Surface Pro 7 with the keyboard cover. There's a Surface Pro 8 available now.

Desktops are easier to upgrade and repair, but they aren't so portable. I have a big gaming desktop attached to a 43" video monitor. It doesn't go anywhere. But for what I bought it for, it does great, and being able to move it around was not in my selection criteria. 🙂 

I also have a laptop, but it doesn't get used much anymore. The tablet is more portable, and the desktop is more powerful. The laptop was fine when I bought it, but the weight of carting it around once I bought the tablet has put it on the back burner. My tablet is easy to bring along to a coffee shop and read a book or browse PA. That is not nearly as easy with the laptop. If you do decide to go with a tablet though, I think it's best to consider them unupgradable. They are what they are. A repair shop can get into them, but it's not an easy task. So if you buy one, spec it for what want in it and not for the price you want to pay now. (if that makes sense). 

Edited by Garzan

Just 3 weeks ago I was faced with the same situation my 9 year old Toshiba had served me well but I wanted something lighter and faster,having checked out many others I settled on a 14" Acer Swift latest i5 11th edition Intel processor 8gb RAM 512 gb SSD....locally in Pattaya cost 25,990 baht I bought it on Lazada for 21,990 baht (4,000 baht saving) a full 2 year parts/labour warranty (carried out locally if need be by Wattana as mentioned before by another BM)...lightweight alloy case..just 1.2 kgs backlit keyboard and battery life of around 8/10 hours...so far well pleased with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, petermik said:

Just 3 weeks ago I was faced with the same situation my 9 year old Toshiba had served me well but I wanted something lighter and faster,having checked out many others I settled on a 14" Acer Swift latest i5 11th edition Intel processor 8gb RAM 512 gb SSD....locally in Pattaya cost 25,990 baht I bought it on Lazada for 21,990 baht (4,000 baht saving) a full 2 year parts/labour warranty (carried out locally if need be by Wattana as mentioned before by another BM)...lightweight alloy case..just 1.2 kgs backlit keyboard and battery life of around 8/10 hours...so far well pleased with it.

The key to speed (8gb RAM 512 GB SSD) and that can be done with an upgrade much cheaper

Edited by Greg_B

Thanks to all posters !!!   Lots of good info here.  I will check out a few of these links and do some research.  Being that my requirements are low, I find that the more I read the less I know.  I guess that almost any decent mid-priced laptop will more than fit my needs  BUT it's hard to decide on exactly which one to buy.  The last time I shopped in the USA,  you could buy a low-mid range computer for $225-$450.  it seems like the prices have jumped up 2X or more.   I guess that is the supply chain chip shortage that I keep hearing about. Thanks again for all the help.

• Thanks 2

For what they're charging for a new PC now, I'd buy a Mac.

My 22 year old American girlfriend got her HP laptop stolen and when we went to look, it was only $400 more than anything half way decent as a PC. She's delighted with it - less hassle - better quality.

anything abouut computers are the main usage and as you mainly do browsing and simple tasks have you considered a ipad instead ?

also most likely your current machine could work for your purposes just with a new harddrive with some speed or a fresh install incase you wanna save some cash 

most pre builds are quite bad unfortunally with poor components within