IGNORED

Short lay over in Doha

Invicta

While looking at flight prices for a trip to Thailand, Qatar price is good compared to others. The cheapest Qatar flight has a lay over of 45 minutes. Is that practical, do they wait knowing that you are on your way, or is it a gamble.  Anyone have the experience?

If you're flying QA all the way, and since QA runs Doha airport, you should have no problem. I've flown them for years and I like them a lot. The fleet is young and clean.  A bit like the cabin crew. Just don't sue me!  :LMFO:

• If you are booked on Qatar for the two legs they have the responsibility to ensure you and your baggage make the transfer OK.

Worth emphasising to the senior steward(-ess) that you need to be fast off the plane and onto the next one. They may have a guide waiting to get you to the next flight. Happened to me once in Helsinki with FinnAir.

If the first plane runs late and you miss the transfer, the airline will get you on the next flight.

This happened to me once: I missed a transfer in Vienna one evening as my first flight Munich-Vienna ran late; AustrianAir put me in airport 4-star hotel overnight with dinner, breakfast and courtesy toiletry/underwear package; I flew out next morning about 0930 to Bangkok (on Qatar via Doha). Baggage arrived OK.

Only problem was that I could not understand the loudspeaker announcements in incomprehensible English in the Doha departure lounge. Just followed the others.

Edited by Bonkabit

i did a 45 min transit years ago in doha. no problem. this is not special l effort on your behalf. they doit all the time

5 hours ago, Invicta said:

While looking at flight prices for a trip to Thailand, Qatar price is good compared to others. The cheapest Qatar flight has a lay over of 45 minutes. Is that practical, do they wait knowing that you are on your way, or is it a gamble.  Anyone have the experience?

Funny you should mention Qatar was looking at prices last night on Skyscanner.Their prices were coming up competitive.They were also highlighted as being free flight date change which is useful..When I have seen them mentioned or on YouTube video it looks like their flights get quite full

7 hours ago, Invicta said:

Used Qatar past 6 trips and had a short layover. They were waiting on me as I got off and ran me to the next flight. Was amazed we made it and even more surprised my clubs and bag made it to BKK also. 
As someone said if it’s QA all the way you should be grand. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

1 hour ago, Gaztop08 said:

Funny you should mention Qatar was looking at prices last night on Skyscanner.Their prices were coming up competitive.They were also highlighted as being free flight date change which is useful..When I have seen them mentioned or on YouTube video it looks like their flights get quite full

Good carrier in my eyes. Coming from Edinburgh the flights never full back before the pandemic. The Doha to BKK leg is always full from what I have experienced. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

All booked 26 March 45 min lay over. £606 Qatar best price I could find other than the ones with hidden costs (baggage etc)

4 hours ago, Gaztop08 said:

I must have been watching the same YouTube videos as you, was considering Qatar but was hoping for a flight that wasn’t full due to the covid issues 

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

I’ve have the same window many times at Doha and never had an issue. 

I do always kinda chuckle to myself with how stringent the security is there.  Seems kinda ironic that the county that has been accused of state sponsored terrorism is overly suspicious that I’m a terrorist. 😀

14 hours ago, JoeNemesis said:

If you're flying QA all the way, and since QA runs Doha airport, you should have no problem.

You would think so, but Emirates screwed me over once. Even though my plane landed in time for me to have made it to my next flight, they simply took off without me (and some other people). I had to spend the night at a shitty hotel.

But I have only had good experiences with Qatar Airways so far. So maybe they don't just screw people over like Emirates seems to do.

4 hours ago, joeyb said:

But I have only had good experiences with Qatar Airways so far. So maybe they don't just screw people over like Emirates seems to do.

There's always a first time ...   🙈

14 hours ago, joeyb said:

You would think so, but Emirates screwed me over once. Even though my plane landed in time for me to have made it to my next flight, they simply took off without me (and some other people). I had to spend the night at a shitty hotel.

Why weren't you on the flight, if the 2nd flight took off on time ?

How did Emirates screw you over ?

Did you stop for a smoke, shopping, a pint, on the way to the gate & arrived after the gate had closed  ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, joeyb said:

Even though my plane landed in time for me to have made it to my next flight, they simply took off without me (and some other people

Flights has slots where they have to take off and on most departures they cant wait more than a few minutes. How long was your trasit between flights?

I think 45 minutes is close with the long shuttles from the plane and the added security check.  There is also a lot of construction bc of the World Cup that is adding some time for the shuttle.

I just flew Bkk-Doh-JFK last month.  The Bkk flights on both legs were empty. I had entire rows by myself. The Doh-JFK flights were full.

I ended up missing my Bkk flight on the return bc of a delay in JFK.  I had a 2.5 hour layover.  But they had already put me on the next flight.  My bags didnt show up in BKK but were found 4 days later.

I will still fly Qatar in the future. My favorite airline.

On 05/02/2022 at 13:13, jaynewcastle said:

Why weren't you on the flight, if the 2nd flight took off on time ?

How did Emirates screw you over ?

Did you stop for a smoke, shopping, a pint, on the way to the gate & arrived after the gate had closed  ?

The second (outgoing) flight apparently took off ahead of schedule.

My plane was slightly delayed, but there was plenty of time to make it to the next plane. In fact, one of my fellow passengers made it to the exit well before it was supposed to close. She wasn't allowed on the plane. I didn't even bother to try to catch the plane after I found out that it had already left without us. I was just told to get in line for more info on what to do next.

• 3 weeks later...

man that is cutting it close, I like a bit of time between flights, but saying that approx 10 of us missed our connecter in Korea in November and had to do overnight at the airport hotel, which was a blessing actually.