Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Taxi to BKK at 5am

jaynewcastle

Any issues or concerns at all, about a very early morning taxi transfer to the airport from Pattaya  ?

I assume most of the regularly mentioned taxi firms on here are available 24hrs a day, I don't know if the price is any higher however

In all previous visits, always had a 1am flight home, however Emirates have new times, so its a 9:30am departure this time. I had planned to stay at a hotel near the airport the last night, but decided might as well stay in Pattaya that last day

Thanks for any advice & replies

No problem. just book it in advance as always and have it confirmed. 

btw, i feel like 5am taxi for 9.30am flight is crazy early. of course, up2you, but no reason to arrive 3 hours in advance, unless you somehow really want to spend >2 hours just sitting around at the airport. 

• Like 1

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

No problem booking a taxi at that time, or any other.

I always book mine to get there comfortably 3 hours before departure as well.

#BetterSafeThanSorry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I'm the the same camp as @davidge - I get there very early, check in and relax. I'm a nervous flyer - not that the plane will crash, but that I might miss it.

As for the OP, as stated, just book in advance. I love to use Nam's service -- she knows I like to get to the airport early, and usually suggests a departure time based upon that. I tend to fly out later, but the one time I had an early flight her driver was waiting for me when I got to the lobby.

BTW, on the subject of getting to the airport early, Progressive Insurance has a GREAT series of commercial here about people buying a home and turning into their parents. This one about air travel is sadly TOO accurate for me, especially the answer to the "when Group 2 will board?" question -- my friends were busting my balls about it!

When I have needed at taxi to the airport at 5am or similar time, I have always used Nam. Last time was May 2021 and the day before I received an email with the name of the driver and her phone number.  She was there a few minutes before the pick-up time.  Very reassuring to have the actual taxi driver's number in the unlikely event of a no show or a late change flight!

The price was the same as a day time price.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, kd_traveller said:

When I have needed at taxi to the airport at 5am or similar time, I have always used Nam. Last time was May 2021 and the day before I received an email with the name of the driver and her phone number.  She was there a few minutes before the pick-up time.  Very reassuring to have the actual taxi driver's number in the unlikely event of a no show or a late change flight!

The price was the same as a day time price.

I should have noted that the early morning pick-up was the same price as later in the day or evening for me, too.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies, appreciate it

Getting to the airport just 3hrs before my flight, is my cutting it fine. I'm happy to get through check-in dearly  before the queue's build up & then have a wander around

Unless I book directly through the airline, I always try to be first in line if I use a third party for booking.

This allows me to get a seat for the next to flights that is comfortable for me.

All the layover cities to LAX is a long flight (11-15 hours)

I have used Mr. T taxi many times for early rides to the airport. If places are open in the wee hours you can check out about noon and leave your luggage at the front desk of the hotel. Then spend the night/early morning doing something in town. However, with present day restriction on hours, you will just have to spend a short night at your hotel and get up early.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jaynewcastle said:

Getting to the airport just 3hrs before my flight, is my cutting it fine. I'm happy to get through check-in early before the queues build up and then have a wander around

Once you have checked in you may like to get a good breakfast to build up the body and to pass the time.

There is an excellent food hall at ground floor level next to the bus and taxi ranks. I particularly enjoy their mango and sticky rice; there is a choice of a lot more.

Follow the illuminated signs. Hope it is still open nowadays, my last visit was at the end of 2019.

More restaurants on Floor Two (or is it Three?). Big choice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, philkrenshaw said:

I have used Mr. T taxi many times for early rides to the airport. If places are open in the wee hours you can check out about noon and leave your luggage at the front desk of the hotel. Then spend the night/early morning doing something in town. However, with present day restriction on hours, you will just have to spend a short night at your hotel and get up early.

I've always used Mr T myself actually for 99% of my trips. Always been happy with the service provided, and he had that little office near LK Metro, (where I have always stayed til this trip), where you could just drop in to book the taxi

I'm not a late night person, so will be getting several hours sleep the last night before heading off early to the airport. I can never sleep more than 10mins at a time on the plane anyway, don't know how people manage it to be honest

Edited by jaynewcastle

13 hours ago, jaynewcastle said:

Thanks for all the replies, appreciate it

Getting to the airport just 3hrs before my flight, is my cutting it fine. I'm happy to get through check-in dearly  before the queue's build up & then have a wander around

At the start of the year, there was only one food shop open in departures, a subway and when I went there, they had run out of everything.  All the food shops are closed for refurbishment, outside on the third floor a lot of those food shops were also closed.

It's often a good idea to arrive at swampy very early, a trip a few years ago ended with navigating through very long queues and it took hours to get past immigration etc.  But this last trip was easy with so few flying, it took less than an hour.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Downandup said:

At the start of the year, there was only one food shop open in departures, a subway and when I went there, they had run out of everything.  All the food shops are closed for refurbishment, outside on the third floor a lot of those food shops were also closed.

It's often a good idea to arrive at swampy very early, a trip a few years ago ended with navigating through very long queues and it took hours to get past immigration etc.  But this last trip was easy with so few flying, it took less than an hour.

I usually buy a Subway sandwich from the place at the corner of Buakow and Diana (don't know if it's still there or even open) and put it in my carry on. The check-in line is so long I can eat the whole sandwich before I reach the front. If I'm not hungry I wait and eat it at the gate. If they're still making people wear masks in the airport, I'm not sure if they would object to eating in line.