Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

How much do you pay for street food?

i paid

30 baht: for the fried chicken leg and thigh with chili sauce

40 baht: for chicken rice stall across from angelwitch

is this about right? i know 10 baht extra wont destroy my budget but i dont like getting ripped off

<EMBED SRC="http://games.webgamedesign.com/free/counter2.swf?title=AC%20Baby!!!&count=down&time=1314994800000&bgc=0x0077cc&bgb=1&bgd=0&bc=0xcccccc&bb=1&bd=0&tc=0xcccccc&tb=1&td=1&uc=0x99ccff&ub=1&ud=2&nc=0x333333&nb=1&nd=0" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" NAME="Free Counter" ALIGN=MIDDLE WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=100 quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">

Not sure 10B constitutes being ripped off! Last time in LOS my best meal was chicked with fried rice from a street vendour on Soi 6 (god knows what I was doing there...) Bloody lovely it was, best meal in 5 weeks! He asked for 40b i think and I gave him 60b. He was well chuffed!

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

Not sure 10B constitutes being ripped off! Last time in LOS my best meal was chicked with fried rice from a street vendour on Soi 6 (god knows what I was doing there...) Bloody lovely it was, best meal in 5 weeks! He asked for 40b i think and I gave him 60b. He was well chuffed!

That's nice, but tipping for street food is very unusual in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

20b for anthing on a stick, 60 for kebab, not sure about the bugs as i didnt pay for them but were tasty! :P

I think I paid 20 baht for corn once in BKK.

Those guys that sell those gyro type wraps on Soi 7/8 make some damn good food!

I would love to see more replies to this thread.

Eat. Down. South.

Those guys that sell those gyro type wraps on Soi 7/8 make some damn good food!

Damn straight dude... Almost worth a trip to Pattaya on its own!

I know LaaMok has a soft spot for them to :P

Gyro type??????

Hedonist

No bad grammer or spelling mistakes here !!!!

Its the all new language i have invented called "Typonese"

Copies of the book and DVDs are on sale and are availible at the main desc at the exit sine

there a small stall on soi 7 beside the eagle bar chicken fried rice a big plate of it 40 baht and its is lovely i usually get 1 while im drinking in the eagle bar it lines my stomach for a day of good drinking

The standard in Pattaya and Bangkok seems to be:

- 30 baht for noodles or rice dishes

- 35 baht if you ask for a fried egg on top of your rice dish

- 10 baht for most BBQ on a stick

Sometimes vendors will try to charge extra if they think you don't know what you're doing. Therefore, I normally will approach the food cart and state the price first. That way, they know you're aware of what the price should be. You'll notice Thais often are charged less than us. That's generally accepted though.

Edited by Millard

we paid 20 thb for a HUGE sack of pork balls and chilli sauce and salad.

There was more than enough for both of us, the missus kept buying it, so I don't think we were ripped off.

I frequently eat most of my meals via the Hawker Carts on the streets. Mostly delicious and extremely cheap. Soi Post office and a good array of hawker carts and reasonable prices. There is a great book at the local book stores thats goes in great detail describing the Hawker Food and how to identify what they are selling. Definately a great read for anyone who wants to jump into and enjoy the cheap delights of Hawker Food.

http://www.dcothai.com/product_info.php?pr...c2e0a2986b27625

On long bus trips or flights to cambodia Ill get up early in the morning and go down to 7/11 and grab a dozen grilled sticks of Pork and a couple packets of sticky rice. It will stay good all day and makes a great travel snack. very delicious

Edited by SlickMonkey

i paid

30 baht: for the fried chicken leg and thigh with chili sauce

40 baht: for chicken rice stall across from angelwitch

is this about right? i know 10 baht extra wont destroy my budget but i dont like getting ripped off

I'm not sure what part of the world your from but let me get this right....

2 piece's of chicken for 30bht=$1.23AUD

chicken with rice for 40bht=$1.64AUD....

I couldn't even get a small bag of sweet's with that money in oz....

I think thats good value for money...tasty food with good service....dont you think m8?

SickMonkey,

Thanks for the book recommendation. I'm going to pick it up ASAP!

Eat. Down. South.

SickMonkey,

Thanks for the book recommendation. I'm going to pick it up ASAP!

here's a freebie for you that i found awhile back.

thai_travel_menu.pdf

in the end of my last trip I figured out that it's best to not say any word and give them 50 or 100 baht depends on how much you think it could cost... they always gave me the change back and I guess this is one of the best ways not to get ripped off... if you want to speak to them, do it when you already know what it costs :D

altough I think that most of this street food vendors are not trying to trick you... at least thats what I experienced on a lot of islands...

Edited by takaianaa

wow...i think ive been overpaying.

only place ive ever tried the street "food" is Soi6 and usually they ask 300baht for a private dining room, then after you wash up for the meal, the buffet costs you another 500-700...but it is all-u-can-eat and you "sauce" your own food...hehehe.

Cheers, Alex

Edited by Alex the Hedonist

Attached File(s)

Attached File thai_travel_menu.pdf ( 329.37K ) Number of downloads: 7

Very usefull, thanks for that.

Thanks soo much. I will print a copy and take it with me.

Sadly I can't order the Thai Food Hawker book because I am leaving in a week and it won't arrive in time. I'll get a copy when I get to BKK!

Eat. Down. South.

Thanks soo much. I will print a copy and take it with me.

Sadly I can't order the Thai Food Hawker book because I am leaving in a week and it won't arrive in time. I'll get a copy when I get to BKK!

Its availible in most bookstores all over Thailand so it should be easliy to find.

thanks it sound interesting with the cost of food i hope to check it out when i get there

• 3 weeks later...

My favourite street food is khao mok gai ( yellow rice with chicken) and costs 30 Baht. The best in town you can find at the corner Soi Bhukaow/South Pattaya Road.

Edited by kub

"Fighting me is like jerking off...You´re only gonna F@ck yourself. "

thanks for the guide and it really made me hungry!!!!!

pabannerscaled.jpg

Never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can sleep.

(Murphy's Law Of Combat)

That's nice, but tipping for street food is very unusual in Thailand.

As it is in New York City - I've never seen anyone tipping a hot dog vendor ...

Edited by el_jefe

I'm not sure what part of the world your from but let me get this right....

2 piece's of chicken for 30bht=$1.23AUD

chicken with rice for 40bht=$1.64AUD....

I couldn't even get a small bag of sweet's with that money in oz....

I think thats good value for money...tasty food with good service....dont you think m8?

What bearing does that have on whether he's overpaying in Thailand?

You are probably getting good value for your bag of sweets too if you compare what you pay to Paris.