IGNORED

Yanks: Any MagicJack users out there ? ? ?

Hi,

I did a search by typing the words Magic and Jack to no avail.

I don't know if this best fits in ex-pat forum or here. In the states there is this new product being sold called a "MagicJack". http://www.magicjack.com

It's basically a VoIP Telphany tool that allows a user to set up telephone service through their PC. In this case you buy the MJ and 1 year of service for $20/year, attach to a computer USB port and plug a standard telephone into the MJ. You get a US phone number in your local area code and send/receive unlimited local and long distance calls anywhere in US, Canada, Mexico and several countries in Northern Europe. (This assumes you're at home.)

On the surface I think this cold be a great idea for communication for . . .

Long term vacations

Telecommute (You need to maintain a US number for contact by clients and colleagues)

Ex-pats who have family back home they want to keep in close touch.

No roaming fees

So while it sounds great on the surface, I was curious if there are country-specific IP domain issues that would allow Thai gov't to block internet calls and if such practice is in place.

I think it would be great for long-term trips or relocation/retirement. I'm even considering taking one on my next trip in case of family emergency. I can leave my regular cell at home, use the throwaway with LOS SIM card for my LOS play and bring a cheap 5 dollar phone along with my MJ and laptop. Family, friends, colleagues, etc. dial this phone as if it is a local call. I answer as if I'm at home or pick up v/m and respond later.

So any feedback from the peanut gallery???

Edited by arbiez

Yes!, i use it when i was in thailand last month, i wish i had it when i got stuck out there when the yellow shirts closed the airports, no one on my job knew i was gone last month, they give you a local USA nunber to dial in your state got calls fine everyone heard me fine to, as long as you got a good internet connection it will work and the vault hotel had just that, it cost $19.95 a year, plan on using it when i return next month*working vacation)

I've got MagicJack and I love it. As long as you have a high-speed internet connection, works great!

Thanks for the info. I'm sure to buy one now.

• 5 months later...

Yes!, i use it when i was in thailand last month, i wish i had it when i got stuck out there when the yellow shirts closed the airports, no one on my job knew i was gone last month, they give you a local USA nunber to dial in your state got calls fine everyone heard me fine to, as long as you got a good internet connection it will work and the vault hotel had just that, it cost $19.95 a year, plan on using it when i return next month*working vacation)

I've had one for about a year now and use it a lot. It works as well as a regular or cell phone as long as you have a decent internet connection. I take it on holiday and save a ton of money if I need to call home for any reason and it gives you a permanent US number that people can call you on.

The best part is the voicemail that sends a recording to your email if you do not answer! :rolleyes:

Scheming how to soon retire to somewhere hot and wet!

small_flag_of_canada.png100x159flag-dominican-emblem.jpgThaiFlag100x149.jpg

<center><embed src="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/&clickLABEL=MySpace Countdown Clocks&flashLABEL=Countdown Clock Codes&skin=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/skins/6.jpg&text=My%20%22Virgin%20Tour%22%20of%20Thailand%21%21%21&untilColor=6736947&textColor=16711884&datesColor=255&year=2010&month=4&day=5&hour=13&minute=59&second=59&x=6&y=77" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="200" name="countdown" align="middle" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/">MySpace Countdown Clocks</a></small></center>

• 7 months later...

My sister-company is trying to market it here in Indonesia. So far Singapore, Thai, Vietnam, Malaysia, and Indonesia have been tested and able to use MagicJack.

I don't think you can use it in China tho, or even Japan...

There's a way to get the same service for free, without the need for any additional hardware. Sign up for a sipgate.com account and for a Google Voice account. Give your new sipgate phone number to Google Voice. If someone calls your Google Voice number and you're connected to the internet, your sipgate software phone will ring; if you're not connected, the call will be sent to voicemail and you will get an email with a transcription of the message. You can call anybody in the US for free through Google Voice, again using your sipgate software phone. Calling other countries costs a couple cents per minute. Google Voice also lets you send texts to anybody in the US for free; some other countries work as well, but I don't know about Thailand.

My sister-company is trying to market it here in Indonesia. So far Singapore, Thai, Vietnam, Malaysia, and Indonesia have been tested and able to use MagicJack.

I don't think you can use it in China tho, or even Japan...

Do I understand from this conversation that I can use my MagicJack in LOS? It does not really work for me here in the US because of my wireless internet connection.

Do I understand from this conversation that I can use my MagicJack in LOS? It does not really work for me here in the US because of my wireless internet connection.

I have a good friend that lives in Pattaya and loves his Magic Jack and has been using it for years. I call his USA phone number and he picks up the phone in LOS. When I call him we can talk for free for as long as we want. Sounds like he is just down the street.

Another option is Skype, a free to join Voip. I've written a summary on this elsewhere.

I Love This City