IGNORED

Replacement laptop.

Danolo

I just searched some YT videos and it looks like installing WIN10 is pretty straightforward.

If I re-install windows like this will be be in NOT S mode?

And will it be easily upgradeable to WIN11 if I choose?

5 minutes ago, Garzan said:

You can do like I do on my Microsoft Surface Pro tablet -- it has a microSD slot so just plug a microSD card in there.

https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-Plus-microSD-Adapter-256GB/dp/B08HDQVKR2/

I'd recommend you use a good quality microSD and not some cheap knockoff card. 

And advantage to using a plug in card is that you can change to a new card whenever you like, have multiple cards for different things, and when larger sizes become more cost effective, upgrade to a bigger one.

That sounds good. Can I install and run software from the micro SSD card? I guess YES.

Just now, Danolo said:

That sounds good. Can I install and run software from the micro SSD card? I guess YES.

It shows up as another drive in Windows. You can do whatever you want with it, just like it was another hard drive. It's just a very tiny little "hard drive".

4 minutes ago, Danolo said:

I just searched some YT videos and it looks like installing WIN10 is pretty straightforward.

If I re-install windows like this will be be in NOT S mode?

You don't have to reinstall Windows to get out of S mode, you just have to try to install something besides something from the Microsoft Store, and when prompted, tell your system you don't want S mode anymore. It only takes a few minutes, and no reinstalling Windows is involved. 

1 minute ago, Danolo said:

It should be. It's a 10th Gen CPU. 🙂

So, now I wait impatiently. The computer arrives tomorrow and my first job will be to install the extra RAM. 

I bought an anti-static wrist strap, which I may not need, but for $15 it seems cheap insurance.

I also bought a spudger.

It should be fun!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Danolo said:

The computer arrives tomorrow and my first job will be to install the extra RAM. 

That one video looks like a pretty good step by step guide. It doesn't hurt to watch it three or four times before you start. 🙂 I'm sure it will go fine. 

Yup, the RAM installed, no problem.  Getting the b ack cover off was a PITA but I got it. The RAM snapped into place, and booted up with 12 gb!

Logging in was more problems because we did not know the MS password.

We didn't actually come to blows but I walked away from her a couple of times. Finally, I left her alone with it.  We'll see how it turns out.

If I'm smart, I will stay away from her for a while until she reports something good.

Otherwise we are very pleased. It seems to work well.

21 minutes ago, Danolo said:

Yup, the RAM installed, no problem.  Getting the b ack cover off was a PITA but I got it. The RAM snapped into place, and booted up with 12 gb!

We didn't actually come to blows but I walked away from her a couple of times. Finally, I left her alone with it.  We'll see how it turns out.

If I'm smart, I will stay away from her for a while until she reports something good.

Otherwise we are very pleased. It seems to work well.

Adding RAM can do wonders for any laptop

4 hours ago, Danolo said:

My suggestion is to have two Microsoft accounts on the laptop, one for you, and one for her. You can make a 'local' account, but my recommendation is to make one using a free Microsoft email address. That will make reinstalls, if you ever need to do one, just a wee bit easier. 

And with one account for you, and one account for her, you can log in with your account and work on / explore settings and features without disturbing her account. 

On 22/10/2021 at 08:03, Danolo said:

I also bought a spudger.

It should be fun!

Just 3 quick questions…..

1.     Did you get to use your spudger???

2.     Was it as much fun as you thought it would be?

3.     WTF is a spudger?  :Laugh1:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, vivid2 said:

3.     WTF is a spudger?  :Laugh1:

^^^ When you stop to think about it, that's quality manufacturing to be able to create two pieces with tolerances so small that the keyboard/mouse pad panel attaches to the laptop frame using only friction to hold them together.

Ignore @Garzan 's description of a spudger. Actually its a small Bluetooth device that you attach to the head of your cock. Then when activated it vibrates, and  SPUDGE!

• Haha 2

Well that laptop is being returned.  The monitor is not good. Unless her eyes are at 90degrees to the screen, she sees darker areas around the edges. As her angle to the screen goes further from 90 Degrees, the screen darkens further.  I have seen the same.

From what I understand, this is because Asus cheaped out on the screen.

I  already have the return authorized by Amazon, and its packed up and ready to go.

And now the search for a laptop continues. As Garzan suggested, I should visit some retail stores to see for myself and then perhaps duplicate the model number to buy off Amazon.

My wife is back struggling with her old machine. No one is happy.