Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Changing the DNS in True Router to improve the wifi.

Cerberus

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; This is what happens when you give a computer to a Neanderthal man whose first weapon choice when joiningg the forces was a long stick with a pointed end.

So my internet speed test as of today is:
speed test.JPG

Where as, my Wifi speed is 33.67 and 29.58 respectively.

I have built a "mesh" in the house so the Wifi speed is fairly constant and stable throughout and faster than before. The problem being, I have an unhappy Thai wife, as this is her speed when using any device other than her Computer. (Those with a Thai partner will know how difficult my life is just now :OMFG:)

After some bewildering research I believe that I may be able to resolve this by changing the auto connect DNS in the router to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1    However the router is Trues own router the Wifi is on True 5G and I wish to re-assure myself that I will not cause myself even greater problems in continuing along this route.

20210810_090628.jpg

Any Guidance greatly received, as an aside following a previous post my laptop is now Windows 11 ready but my main computer is not.

Edited by Cerberus
missing picture
  • Like 1

The DNS server used should have no influence at all to measured WiFi speeds. It's only used to do the initial translation of a website URL to the ip number.

Ate you sure she is connecting to a 5G channel?

What WiFi protocol is she using when connected to the router?

Some further thoughts.

Disable your WiFi mesh/repeaters. Turn them off. Let your wife get into range of the router and test again. 

I don't fully understand from your post,  which devices are slow and which are fast.

If only one computer is slow,  then the problem could be with a faulty or low-quality wifi card in that computer.

If everything that uses wifi on the router is slow,  but other devices get fast speeds on 5G,  then it might be a cheap router with low wifi bandwidth.

Your router might offer different wifi standards,  such as , 802.11g,  802.11n  and 802.11ac.  If it is configured to offer the slower "g" standard only,  then devices that connect to it will get the slow speed. 

Similar quality and configuration issues could apply to your repeaters.  The chain will only carry data at the speed of its weakest link.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

This is what I did just last month.

Complained like fuck, maybe 6 calls, about low speed tests so eventually they sent an engineer to the house. He came the next day.

He sorted it in 5 minutes and my speed jumped from download 97 Mbps to over 400 Mbps.

The engineer wittered on about it connecting to 4g despite the fact we were paying for the 500 Mbps 5G (399 a month if anyone’s interested)

I asked True if we were due any refund and got the usual bums rush but it got sorted so I didn’t really care tbh.

As Ocka says there was also in issue with one unit. We run 7 here, including 2 (hardwired) comps, 2 tablets and 3 phones using WiFi. One of the comps is very old and he told me it couldn’t really handle 5G but the other 6 all increased dramatically. 

So my advice is stick your grumpy hat on and complain often enough so they send an engineer. There is no charge.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

3 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; This is what happens when you give a computer to a Neanderthal man whose first weapon choice when joiningg the forces was a long stick with a pointed end.

So my internet speed test as of today is:
speed test.JPG

Where as, my Wifi speed is 33.67 and 29.58 respectively.

I have built a "mesh" in the house so the Wifi speed is fairly constant and stable throughout and faster than before. The problem being, I have an unhappy Thai wife, as this is her speed when using any device other than her Computer. (Those with a Thai partner will know how difficult my life is just now :OMFG:)

After some bewildering research I believe that I may be able to resolve this by changing the auto connect DNS in the router to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1    However the router is Trues own router the Wifi is on True 5G and I wish to re-assure myself that I will not cause myself even greater problems in continuing along this route.

20210810_090628.jpg

Any Guidance greatly received, as an aside following a previous post my laptop is now Windows 11 ready but my main computer is not.

One other thing. Looking at the pic that looks like perhaps an old router.

Trues 5G Routers have 6 antennas. Hard to tell from your pic.

Again maybe a reason to ask an engineer to come.

Heres a pic of my True Router

42CF69DC-18CB-4775-BB38-9492C2258717.jpeg

2 hours ago, ocka said:

I don't fully understand from your post,  which devices are slow and which are fast.

If only one computer is slow,  then the problem could be with a faulty or low-quality wifi card in that computer.

If everything that uses wifi on the router is slow,  but other devices get fast speeds on 5G,  then it might be a cheap router with low wifi bandwidth.

Your router might offer different wifi standards,  such as , 802.11g,  802.11n  and 802.11ac.  If it is configured to offer the slower "g" standard only,  then devices that connect to it will get the slow speed. 

Similar quality and configuration issues could apply to your repeaters.  The chain will only carry data at the speed of its weakest link.

Hi Guys thanks for responses, Ocka sir, I am running 1 PC and one I MAC Hard wired.  Both run at the higher speeds.

1 x laptop and 1 x Macbook plus 3 x smart phones and 2 tablets on Wifi.  All the devices are modernish, the  I Mac 6 months old, PC 2 years, Macbook 3 years and Laptop 3 years All phones not older than 2 years including Tablets

If not in the office the LTs run at the lower speeds mentioned above. They all run somewhat faster if in the office where the router is.

There is never more than 4 devices on at one time.

I got the DNS info online from multiple Utube sites This was one of them: 

1 hour ago, whitespider said:

This is what I did just last month.

Complained like fuck, maybe 6 calls, about low speed tests so eventually they sent an engineer to the house. He came the next day.

He sorted it in 5 minutes and my speed jumped from download 97 Mbps to over 400 Mbps.

The engineer wittered on about it connecting to 4g despite the fact we were paying for the 500 Mbps 5G (399 a month if anyone’s interested)

I asked True if we were due any refund and got the usual bums rush but it got sorted so I didn’t really care tbh.

As Ocka says there was also in issue with one unit. We run 7 here, including 2 (hardwired) comps, 2 tablets and 3 phones using WiFi. One of the comps is very old and he told me it couldn’t really handle 5G but the other 6 all increased dramatically. 

So my advice is stick your grumpy hat on and complain often enough so they send an engineer. There is no charge.

Hi WS, the picture of the router shows what I believe to be 6 antenna's, however I will now go visit the local showroom and see if it is open, I believe it is not. If that is the case i will start burning the telephone complaint lines and see if that works.

Thanks again guys

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Hi Guys thanks for responses, Ocka sir, I am running 1 PC and one I MAC Hard wired.  Both run at the higher speeds.

1 x laptop and 1 x Macbook plus 3 x smart phones and 2 tablets on Wifi.  All the devices are modernish, the  I Mac 6 months old, PC 2 years, Macbook 3 years and Laptop 3 years All phones not older than 2 years including Tablets

If not in the office the LTs run at the lower speeds mentioned above. They all run somewhat faster if in the office where the router is.

There is never more than 4 devices on at one time.

I got the DNS info online from multiple Utube sites This was one of them: 

Hi WS, the picture of the router shows what I believe to be 6 antenna's, however I will now go visit the local showroom and see if it is open, I believe it is not. If that is the case i will start burning the telephone complaint lines and see if that works.

Thanks again guys

As you will know you need to be persistent. Took me at least 6 calls and I think they only relented and sent an engineer just to get rid of me.

The engineer was actually really good. He ran diagnostics on his lappy, fixed it in 5 minutes, checked the (old) comp etc and was out the door in 30 minutes. He even talked me through the “report” he was sending in while here and, unusually, accepted fully True had fucked up. He also advised me to get some new cables as the ones we were using were both old and crap. Overall I was super impressed with him - not so impressed with the service center on the phone who were in denial mode for ages.

1 hour ago, whitespider said:

As you will know you need to be persistent. Took me at least 6 calls and I think they only relented and sent an engineer just to get rid of me.

The engineer was actually really good. He ran diagnostics on his lappy, fixed it in 5 minutes, checked the (old) comp etc and was out the door in 30 minutes. He even talked me through the “report” he was sending in while here and, unusually, accepted fully True had fucked up. He also advised me to get some new cables as the ones we were using were both old and crap. Overall I was super impressed with him - not so impressed with the service center on the phone who were in denial mode for ages.

Got it, by the way my router is the same one you show above.  Persistence is my middle name but by the time I have made the Lass call them 3 times they will be in real trouble.

• Haha 1

My guess is that your mesh is older technology that runs on 2.4ghz WiFi (unrelated to cellular 4G/5G), and uses a shared WiFi channel backhaul to the True router Wifi. That would explain the slow WiFi connection and fast hard wired.

If you'd mention the brand and model of your mesh system, it would be straightforward to confirm (or eliminate) the mesh as the cause of the problem.

I doubt DNS is the source of the problem. However using 1.1.1.1 or other non-True DNS prevents True from tracking/blocking what websites you visit and monetizing this info... or enforcing local restrictions.