Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Convenience Stores closing

anglesea

I live in Wongamat. A year ago we had 7 convenience stores within a 5 minute walk. This week the only two 7-11 stores closed. Earlier in the year two Family Marts closed. So now we only have three convenience stores despite all the high rise condos and hotels in the area.  A clear indication of the economic blight in Thailand and Pattaya in particular. When will it all end???

It's not only in the tourist areas. My bud lives on the outskirts towards the Croc farm; his little village is served by local Mom 'n Pop stores, 90% of their business is from local Thai's. He told me that 60% of them have now closed.

You're here now where you should have been all along.  :wink:

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/08/2021 at 11:37, anglesea said:

I live in Wongamat. A year ago we had 7 convenience stores within a 5 minute walk. This week the only two 7-11 stores closed.

Do you know if the 7-11's have closed for good only when they 1st closed there was a sign-up saying they were closed until 2nd August but when I was there last week they were still closed, the signs had gone & no indication of whether they'd be reopening again :( 

Can I be cheeky & also ask where you do your grocery shopping? - I've tried the Lotus near Terminal 21 & it's not a patch on the one we have in Bangkok but the next closest large Lotus seems to be way out Jomtien way. 

Edited by JB300

I went down to grab some beer at one of the convenience stores in View Talay 6 and it was locked up. Should have seen it coming because they weren't restocking. Luckily there's still the other one which also serves food so they might survive a bit longer. 

In order of preference, I have been shopping in Central Pattaya at the following:

• Big C Extra (Central Pattaya Road)
  • Villa Market (inside (the Avenue Mall)
  • Best Supermarket (Near Terminal 21)
  • Foodland (Central Pattaya Road)
Edited by LASportsNut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My food shopping is mainly done at;

• Makro - the one on the west side of town from Suk down to T21, mainly for fruit & veg
  • Big C Pattaya Klang, bread mix, chicken & pork
  • Friendship for bread rolls
  • Foodland for sliced meats & mushrooms
  • Nadia's, Siam Expat Foodstore & Siamburi's for all those western delights

On the dark side restaurants will let you personally pick takeaways up so I follow the posts of their latest offerings on Facebook. :rolleyes:

It's a shame that convenience stores are closing all over town as there is not enough foot traffic to support them, not just them but also other businesses. 

• Thanks 1

You're here now where you should have been all along.  :wink:

One of the 7-11s in Soi Arunothai and the Family Mart opposite has closed and the 7-11 on the Soi where the Mung Thai boxing stadium are closed. 

As much as I love all things Australian, I got to get me action of the asian persuasian.

There has been some closures of what I thought were very popular stores, but having said that thee are still new stores opening all the time.

If you get the chance try the new / re-branded Lotus's.... Pretty impressive range of fresh food, nothing you can't get form the local market, but I prefer the shop. 

When demand is back I am sure they will start popping up again. 

• Like 1

Regards, Atlas.

I've noticed much more 7/11 have closed than Family mart. Even if some FM have been taken over by Tops.

Possible that the 7/11 franchise cost much more to the owner than the FM one. .

• Like 1

7 11 near Bali Hi pier has closed in the last few days also

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

Three 7/11 have closed near me recently, the one opposite the hospital on soi Buakhao, the one on Soi Excite and the one on 3rd Road opposite Soi Lenkee.

Has anyone else noticed that 7/11 business is mostly drinks and food for the Thais now, they pay by phone , the whole process takes ages.

So i think most these stores that have closed in Pattaya will reopen when tourism restarts.

The 8 pm shutdown certainly not helping. 

The other thing that maybe a contributor is the bloody annoying motorbike delivery service they provide. Just to make it easier for lazy bastards who to order a packet of chips and packet pf smokes from 200 metres away. It takes away impulse buying for stuff like drinks and icecreams and snacks. 

• Like 1

As much as I love all things Australian, I got to get me action of the asian persuasian.

1 hour ago, Ron Rat said:

The other thing that maybe a contributor is the bloody annoying motorbike delivery service they provide. Just to make it easier for lazy bastards who to order a packet of chips and packet pf smokes from 200 metres away. It takes away impulse buying for stuff like drinks and icecreams and snacks. 

we were sitting beach rd today near soi 1 during a pause on our walk opposite a 7/11. we watched a 7/11 employee come out with some sort of in store made  drink  and start looking up and down beach rd. 1 of 3 TG's sitting near us got up to go and exchange phone apps / payment whatever and collect the drink. less than 20 mtr, in fact the width of beach rd so more like 10 mtrs . unbelievable. how lazy is that ?

between the prevoius saturday and yesterday the very last 7/11 near walking st  closed. actually past beach rd by bali hai. i think 2 family mart remain open walking st. it was a prevoius combo number of the 2 brands of about 15

Edited by striderman

1 hour ago, striderman said:

we were sitting beach rd today near soi 1 during a pause on our walk opposite a 7/11. we watched a 7/11 employee come out with some sort of in store made  drink  and start looking up and down beach rd. 1 of 3 TG's sitting near us got up to go and exchange phone apps / payment whatever and collect the drink. less than 20 mtr, in fact the width of beach rd so more like 10 mtrs . unbelievable. how lazy is that ?

between the prevoius saturday and yesterday the very last 7/11 near walking st  closed. actually past beach rd by bali hai. i think 2 family mart remain open walking st. it was a prevoius combo number of the 2 brands of about 15

This has been going on for a while. Plenty of times seen 7-11 staff taking what looks like small food orders to places within a few metres. Other times seen them with small trolleys, hawking basic items around the local area just in case someone is too lazy to walk a few metres to buy their bog roll. It would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.

6 hours ago, Soi7 said:

7 11 near Bali Hi pier has closed in the last few days also

I was surprised on my last vist to Koh Larn (July) that the 7-11 was closed, only shop on that stretch of beach so times must be hard there... 

21 hours ago, Ron Rat said:

It must be costing the store owners a fortune to have this delivery service that is FREE... There has been no drop in staff in the shops. Prices have not gone up hat I have noticed to compensate for the delivery service... 

Regards, Atlas.

It's depressing. In South Pattaya, I've lost my closest 7 and closest FM within the past month or so. Going to move to central soon as things have become too impractical. 

15 minutes ago, Atlas said:

It must be costing the store owners a fortune to have this delivery service that is FREE... There has been no drop in staff in the shops. Prices have not gone up hat I have noticed to compensate for the delivery service... 

Free... Well could be probably a good way to say sell valuable datas about what you eat, drink, smoke to some other companies like health insurances companies :wacko:.

Just my 2 cents worth of paranoid comment.

• Confused 1

as of today there are no 7/11's open from bali hai along beach rd until you reach the 1 in front of View Talay 6 by central festival.

• Sad 3

18 minutes ago, striderman said:

as of today there are no 7/11's open from bali hai along beach rd until you reach the 1 in front of View Talay 6 by central festival.

If that one ever closes, it's a sign of the true end of times. I haven't been there for a few weeks but in the past, it seemed to be a mini TreeTown of sorts with expats and Thais drinking on the steps.

On 22/08/2021 at 09:22, JB300 said:

Do you know if the 7-11's have closed for good only when they 1st closed there was a sign-up saying they were closed until 2nd August but when I was there last week they were still closed, the signs had gone & no indication of whether they'd be reopening again :( 

Can I be cheeky & also ask where you do your grocery shopping? - I've tried the Lotus near Terminal 21 & it's not a patch on the one we have in Bangkok but the next closest large Lotus seems to be way out Jomtien way. 

For good quality and well priced meat we shop at Foodlands in Terminal 21. Park on the mezzanine level car park. For general shopping we use Big C Pattaya-Kland

• Thanks 1