IGNORED

Press Release: Chiang Mai named World’s Best City for a Beautiful Bike Ride, according to Instagram data

The Pattaya News

The Pattaya News
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The following is a press release by the Tourism Authority of Thailand. Their statements and opinions are entirely their own. Bangkok, 17 June 2021 – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is pleased to report that Chiang Mai’s reputation as one of the world’s leading tourist destinations continues to grow after the city was named […]

Press Release: Chiang Mai named World’s Best City for a Beautiful Bike Ride, according to Instagram data
-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-
The Pattaya News - Real. Unbiased. Impactful. In the moment.

Click To View The Pattaya News Website

https://thepattayanews.com/newsletter/

Check out our Youtube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCznGH-m-TAn2iqTYQL5yOcA

This is awesome. I would agree. Chiang Mai is the best place in Asia for cycling and motorbiking. If you factor in how good daily life in Chiang Mai is, that might make it the best place in the world for cycling.

Been there one time, but did not see any cycling. Do you ride? Are you aware of local bike shop organized group rides? 

TGOEA

the mae hong song loop is popular to be done by bicycle and by motorbike either. cycling up doi sutep is also popular. personally, i don't know of any organised group rides, but i assume there are... (they even exist in pattaya, so it would be surprising if they don't have any in chiang mai)

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

Beautiful town to ride in, but the air quality is horrible...NOT a good combination for a good bike ride.

3 hours ago, Roadglide said:

Beautiful town to ride in, but the air quality is horrible...NOT a good combination for a good bike ride.

i was there normally in november, and then air quality was fine in my impression. of course between ~february - may , it will be terrible. but outside of that window it's fine, no? 

• Like 2

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

38 minutes ago, petehoax said:

i was there normally in november, and then air quality was fine in my impression. of course between ~february - may , it will be terrible. but outside of that window it's fine, no? 

I lived there June to october few years ago.

If there is no problem with the smoles at that period, i noticed that there is always some fine particles in the air and you really feel the need of putting water on your face and eyes after riding the motorbike for a medium ride. 

Edited by KhunChang
  • Like 3

Good conversation! The air quality might be a deal breaker, but will still consider trying that route someday. Might be awhile, as at the moment I still reside in the U.S.

Have seen a couple different groups in Pattaya mentioned on various forums. Seems like good road bike riding if you are up early. Air quality usually seems OK in the Pattaya region. 

• Like 2

TGOEA

Anybody know of a Specialized bike shop/dealer in the Pattaya or Hua Hin area?

Been there lots, including by motorbike and smoke can be an issue.

The former owner of Sapphire has set up a motorbike hire/tour operation based there.

https://www.facebook.com/acetoursthailand/

3 hours ago, Roadglide said:

Anybody know of a Specialized bike shop/dealer in the Pattaya or Hua Hin area?

SV Bike on Thepprasit

Eastern Bike on Sukhumvit (might be able to source Specialized)

I was very surprised to see the 2020 air quality data for Chiang Mai. It showed that 2020 was the best air quality on record, since records had begun in 2013. Also in 2021 I've been cycling in Chiang Mai throughout the entire burning season. There were two separate sessions of one week each where I felt that the air quality was very bad. I wore a respirator mask on my rides during those two weeks. Contrast this with 2018 where I was wearing a respirator mask for six months out of the year.

28 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

SV Bike on Thepprasit

Eastern Bike on Sukhumvit (might be able to source Specialized)

Don't suppose you know if there are any Surly dealers in or near Pattaya? Found one in Chiang Mai and a couple in Bangkok but would be easier if I can find one in Pattaya as I arrive there next month and specifically want a Surly Bridge Club built up or something similar.

2 hours ago, shagwell said:

Don't suppose you know if there are any Surly dealers in or near Pattaya? Found one in Chiang Mai and a couple in Bangkok but would be easier if I can find one in Pattaya as I arrive there next month and specifically want a Surly Bridge Club built up or something similar.

While not a bike, SV Bike was able to source a Garmin 910XT GPS from a source of theirs in Bangkok. I would be surprised if they couldn't do the same for you for a Surly bike. I need to go see them for a tune up on my road bike in the next couple of days, so will ask about Surly bikes and report back.