IGNORED

Internet Connection Issues

mongo2

I have a 3BB Internet package to my condo.  I have had it since October 2019.  I pay 631 THB for 50 Mbps.  It has been working just fine until the last month or so.

At the start of the first outage we heard an explosion and it was off the three days.  About a month later we heard another explosion, That time it was down only overnight.

Since May 24 it has been off line three more times but only for a few minutes (20).  Now, today I am having different king of problem,

The taskbar on my desktop PC shows an icon telling me I have No Internet Access - but the internet is working just fine.  The 3BB modem shows the internet is also working just fine.   Strange!

Is there anyone out there who can tell me how to deal with this issue?

1 hour ago, mongo2 said:

The taskbar on my desktop PC shows an icon telling me I have No Internet Access - but the internet is working just fine.  The 3BB modem shows the internet is also working just fine.   Strange!

Typically when that happens to me it's because somewhere outside of my house, ToT (my provider) is having a connectivity issue with their network. Within my house my desktop and phones are connecting to my router just fine, but my desktop is not getting a successful ping back from wherever it's using to verify a successful internet connection. For a plumbing example, the pipe may be successfully connected to the water tank, but there isn't any water in the pipe. (Imperfect but perhaps gets the idea across.) Just being successfully connected to your router, and being successfully connected to 3BBs network equipment does not automatically mean you are successfully connected to Internet locations and Internet data. If 3BB is having some sort of DNS issue, the connections will all physically be there, but your computer won't be able to figure out how to change a person readable destination to a machine readable destination. 

631b for 50Mbps seems expensive for todays pricing. ToT's special on this months paper bill is 300/300Mbps for 690b. 

Suggest giving 3BB a call to report the service interruptions and ask if there is going on in the area that would account for the interruptions. And as @Garzan posted, your monthly service cost seems on the high side, so ask about what service plans are now available at lower cost, or faster service at the same price. I did that a few years back with True and while it required a no cost replacement of my router, I was upgraded to faster service for the same monthly price.

A few thoughts:

• Have you tried connecting to the router with an ethernet cable connection? If that works go to bullet #2.
  • Your wireless connection may be having trouble due to your anti-virus software. This is especially true of McAfee. Look at the log of your anti-virus software and see if there is activity matching the IP of your router. If so, get rid of McAfee. Look for a script to do this on the net. If you are on Windows, this should also activate Windows Defender, which is cost free and fine for most purposes.

I went through this a few months back. I have CAT and am connecting a Windows 10 based laptop. McAfee came free with the laptop when I purchased it. I never liked it as IMO it is very intrusive and they non-stop market you with scare tactics. I had been meaning to get rid of them for years, but kept putting it off.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 2

Thanks people, I will keep these posts in mind.  Not real sure what I will do about the service since it is working at the moment.  Most of the time the 50 Mbps is ok for what I do.  FWIW my anti-virus software is Kapersky (free-version).

12 hours ago, mongo2 said:

I have a 3BB Internet package to my condo.  I have had it since October 2019.  I pay 631 THB for 50 Mbps.  It has been working just fine until the last month or so.

You must be on ADSL.

For Free you can ask 3BB to change your old package to a new one with fiber (they will also change your router for free):

image.thumb.png.fba872aec4ca4d60342461a353b9059c.png

• Like 3

All I know is that when I signed up with 3BB there were a few complications IMO.

I have no land line service.  I had canceled that 15 years ago.  That said, there is a land line wall socket that connects to the condo telephone system.

The hookup is like this:

1) From the back of my PC to a socket identified as LAN 4 on the 3BB Broadband modem (a Huawei modem).  I believe that is an Ethernet cable. 

2) From the modem to the telephone wall socket via a standard telephone cable.

3 then from the wall socket to the condo telephone system.  Note:  Upon installation of my internet connection I had to rent some sort of device that had to be installed into the condo telephone connection to my unit.  That device costs me 3000 baht per year.  Management told me it was because I had no active telephone connection.

Lot going on here.

I moved to CAT about a year ago because they offer fiber in my building. It has been much more reliable than my previous cable connection, which at times would drop out several times a day. I pay 720 a month for a high end CAT connection and make good use of that. I do a lot of file transfers and occasional financial transactions and related analysis. Could I get by with less? Yeah probably, but this service level makes me smile. Rare moments these days. :)  I also had to pay a one time 2000 fee to have a fiber cable run to my condo.

I still have intermitenet wireless problems. Most of these condos have a lot of concrete walls in place. This in combination with other feedbacks (TVs, phones, kitchen electric devices, nearby neighbors) can cause wireless interference. The OP should not see any of this as he has said that he is connected via an ethernet cable to the router.

Good luck. I might pursue the above stated option of moving to a fiber option with your current provider.

On 30/05/2021 at 22:42, mongo2 said:

All I know is that when I signed up with 3BB there were a few complications IMO.

I have no land line service.  I had canceled that 15 years ago.  That said, there is a land line wall socket that connects to the condo telephone system.

The hookup is like this:

1) From the back of my PC to a socket identified as LAN 4 on the 3BB Broadband modem (a Huawei modem).  I believe that is an Ethernet cable. 

2) From the modem to the telephone wall socket via a standard telephone cable.

3 then from the wall socket to the condo telephone system.  Note:  Upon installation of my internet connection I had to rent some sort of device that had to be installed into the condo telephone connection to my unit.  That device costs me 3000 baht per year.  Management told me it was because I had no active telephone connection.

Your condo management is taking you for a ride for a yearly fee. They need only hook it up once, and that is it. When I was in a condo, they hooked it up for free for me when I first moved in. Then when I changed to a new room, they charged me 1500 baht. The guy came into the room, opened up the ceiling and connected two wires. Took him all of 3 minutes. 3BB provided the service to the box that was under the control of the building. 

If it floats, flies or fucks, RENT IT!!!!! "He who hesitates, masturbates"

2 hours ago, freedom42 said:

Your condo management is taking you for a ride for a yearly fee. They need only hook it up once, and that is it. When I was in a condo, they hooked it up for free for me when I first moved in. Then when I changed to a new room, they charged me 1500 baht. The guy came into the room, opened up the ceiling and connected two wires. Took him all of 3 minutes. 3BB provided the service to the box that was under the control of the building. 

So they are.  Not much I can do about that except to go back to a Wifi connection rather than hard-wired.

On 02/06/2021 at 23:48, mongo2 said:

So they are.  Not much I can do about that except to go back to a Wifi connection rather than hard-wired.

You could always inquire with other tenants and ask them if they are subjected to the same "fee". Often times its a "farang tax" that they decide to try.

If it floats, flies or fucks, RENT IT!!!!! "He who hesitates, masturbates"