IGNORED

Scams in Thailand

William

I saw this list on Thai Visa and thought some of the scams to be really silly. I recall about 2 years ago when there was an online fight on the FLB site about a scam in Pattaya and both parties started a fight about was it a scam or not. Here is the list.

A Frenchman recently has sold advertising to and collected money from numerous entertainment places around town, but the publication never materialized.

A man died and when his wife came to his condo the will and many private papers was removed from his safe by a local foreigner, who now has “taken over the condo”.

A go-go bar was leased to an Englishman, who paid a big “key money” amount, but later realized that the original rental agreement ran out long before his lease agreement with the foreign con-man expired.

An Australian bar owner sold 50% of his bar to another foreigner, who one day met other foreigners in the bar, who had also bought 50% in the bar, and was annoyed that no profit came from the bar. The Australian disappeared!

A German hotel Manager found out how his German boss had been cheating numerous investors, when he said he could not be involved in this scam he was killed going back to his rented house at night.

A Canadian couple thought they bought a condo in a Thai social apartment development for low income Thai citizens; they later found out that the foreign seller had pocketed a million baht and they would never get a title deed as foreigners, the money was all lost.

A happy Norwegian bought a nearly new black Toyota pick-up car from an American gentleman, but later found out that the car was rented from a Thai.

Pakistan and Dubai Nationals arrested in fake passport and vehicle theft ring.

These dramatic pictures come from the front of Soi 38 on the Sukumvit Road where Police arrested a group of foreign men thought to be involved in an organized vehicle theft operation. Police were initially alerted by Khun Wootipong aged 34, the owner of a car rental shop who made a report regarding a Pakistan National who rented a vehicle and failed to return it. On Tuesday Night, the man returned to attempt to rent a further car but was recognized by the shop owner who attempted to detain him and three other men in the group. They were detained as they attempted to escape in a Bronze Mitsubishi Pick-up. The Police arrived and searched the vehicle and uncovered many passports later found to be fake along with a number of car rental agreements. Back at the Police Station the main culprit was identified as Mr. Mohamad Saeed Almuhairi aged 32 from Pakistan. The three other men are Mr. Syed Arid Raza aged 29 from Dubai, Mr. Ismail aged 30 from Dubai and Mr. Khalid Mohd Ahmad aged 33 from Dubai. Mr. Almuhairi accepted that he had rented a total of 10 vehicles which were then sold on to friends. The other men were charged with assisting in the theft operation and possession of fake passports. Police are now investigating the men further to see if they are connected with other outstanding cases. For now they remain behind bars.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing that suprizes me is that people keep falling for these scams.

Time share, and silk suits should not be purchased while drunk because you end up with a apartment that doesnt exist and suits that you will never wear!!!

The only thing that suprizes me is that people keep falling for these scams.

Time share, and silk suits should not be purchased while drunk because you end up with a apartment that doesnt exist and suits that you will never wear!!!

You're right. I bought 5 good looking ties. By the time I unpacked them they were so crinkled to be useless. I think clothes are so cheap back home nowdays & at least you know the quality.

What about the sick buffalo, mama sick, brother in monkey house, new roof needs to be put on house. I bet those are all real, the things those poor girls must go through :Chokdee3:

I spent 2 days in KL as part of my get out of Pattaya for Songkran plan.

Day 1. A girl sitting at a cafe with her brother/boyfriend (?) starts chatting to me. At first, she thought I was French but when I told her I was Scottish, it suddenly transpired that her sister was going to work in Scotland and could I tell her all about costs etc etc. I chatted to them for a bit (it was an outdoor cafe so I felt quite safe) but eventually made my excuses and left.

Day 2. I'm out taking in the sights and taking a few photographs when a guy about my age starts talking to me and when he discovers that I'm Scottish, it suddenly transpires that his daughter is going to university in Glasgow. He asks me to go back to his house to meet his wife and daughter. This time, alarm bells are going off like crazy - I mean what are the chances i Malaysia that 2 people who start a conversation with you both have relations going to Scotland for work or study? I declined and kept walking.

I know that this happened in Malaysia, but a very similar scam was reported as having been attempted in Bangkok on one of the other boards.

Alan

Scams are rife in Pattaya ,no qualms, no remorse ,and usually mostly people who get scammed deserve it ,being greedy for one thing ,mostly to do with property,little things like buying cds or dvds for next to nothing then expect them to be perfect ,also buying counterfeit stuff and expecting to last , in the end you get what you pay . :P