IGNORED

Thai Sim card for 3 months?

Jesper

I will stay 3 months what is the best option about Sim card. Is it to buy one at 7/11 and top it up now and then or are better options? Need to have good data not only for calls. 

Thanks. 

Life is nice :GoldenSmile1:

You can buy a sim for any of the three cellular providers. I am not sure if 7-11 sells these anymore. A few years back Thailand restricted the locations where sims can be purchased. I am not sure what the current availability is, but you can buy one at the airport or at a cellular store. Make sure to bring your passport with you for the purchase.

I use AIS and they are decent. Once you are operational they will bombard you with offers for data plans. With AIS your good through date is extended one month every time you purchase additional load up to a max of one year out.

This website, in Thai only, has discount codes for the 3 major carriers.

https://www.โปรโมชั่นดี.com/

I use an AIS plan, only available for new SIM cards, costs 300 baht per 30 days for unlimited 10mbps internet and can be renewed up to 6 months at which point I plan to buy a new SIM card. The SIM card itself is another 50 baht.

The codes change often, but currently this is it:

300 บาท/30 วัน

• เน็ตไม่อั้น ไม่ลดสปีด
  • ความเร็ว 10 Mbps
  • ต่ออายุอัตโนมัติ 6 เดือน
  • ฟรี Super WiFi ไม่อั้น
  • กด *777*9159*985383# โทรออก

I think other carriers have similar plans if you prefer one of the others.

As far as buying the SIM card I prefer visiting the carrier’s shop in a major mall. They have English speakers to help you get setup.

I rarely make calls so I didn’t look into voice plans.

go to central festival, walk into dtac store (on 2nd floor iirc), tell them you want a prepaid plan for 3 months. 
they offer you 10mbps unlimited traffic for 199.- / month (or slightly less). add 50thb on it for 50min of calling (if you need to reach a hotel or in case of emergency or so), walk out within 5minutes. 

that's what i did in december for my trip.

the other providers have similar offers, sometimes a little more expensive. 

ps: i'm quite sure 7-11 doesn't sell sim cards anymore.
pps: you need to bring your passport of course.

Edited by petehoax

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

On 26/02/2021 at 05:40, petehoax said:

go to central festival, walk into dtac store (on 2nd floor iirc), tell them you want a prepaid plan for 3 months. 
they offer you 10mbps unlimited traffic for 199.- / month (or slightly less). add 50thb on it for 50min of calling (if you need to reach a hotel or in case of emergency or so), walk out within 5minutes. 

that's what i did in december for my trip.

the other providers have similar offers, sometimes a little more expensive. 

ps: i'm quite sure 7-11 doesn't sell sim cards anymore.
pps: you need to bring your passport of course.

Neglected to add that there is a three month option available via Lazada/Shopee. https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dtac-10mbps-15-3-i1878988971-s5855310017.html

The monthly option is 300 baht per month now. If you add 50 baht and apply a specific USSD code you actually get unlimited all network calls(15 mins per call).

If they trip is longer than four months, it would be cheaper to buy an annual version for 1300 baht via Lazada or Shopee.

Edited by Hollander
  • Like 2