IGNORED

Heart Problems

2dave

A guy that I know very well was admitted to hospital in Bangkok and had open heart surgery yesterday. I am not sure if he is a board member or not so I will not be posting his name.

He did manage or own bars in Pattaya a few years ago before moving to Suphanburi. He did a TEFL Course in Pattaya and then became a teacher - quite a good one. He would have done his TEFL Course around 2005 or 2006. He has been teaching for at least 5 years now but regularly travels to Pattaya to renew acquaintances. He owns and rides a large motorcycle (I don't know the brand although I have seen it)

He had heart surgery yesterday and is now recovering.  I don't know if anyone knows who I am talking about from this limited information but I can't provide more.

Having a heart attack here in Thailand, I will state that the cardiologists that I have seen are first rate and do really take good care of their patients. My heart attack cost me more than 1 000 000 baht with discount from a hospital that I taught at. To all members, do make sure that you have health or travel insurance when visiting or living in Thailand as medical issues can be expensive here.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Here's hoping your  friend makes a quick recovery and enjoys many more years of life.

ATB

Hope he has a speedy recovery!!

Same here. If I can confirm he is a board member I will post his user name.

He is a really nice guy

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Turtle123 said:

1 million baht wow. Thanks for the headsup. 40$ monthly health insurance doesnt seem so expensive now.

Where can you get this ? :)

Ho  ehe makes a full recovery. 

Regards, Atlas.

8 minutes ago, Atlas said:

Where can you get this ? :)

Ho  ehe makes a full recovery. 

Safteywing.com Not 100% on what it covers but its sufficient enough to get me into thailand. 250k coverage i believe on -non-preexisting conditions. also covers covid. $40/m 

3 hours ago, Turtle123 said:

Safteywing.com Not 100% on what it covers but its sufficient enough to get me into thailand. 250k coverage i believe on -non-preexisting conditions. also covers covid. $40/m 

Thanks mate, just signed up

Regards, Atlas.

I nearly got excited for a minute until I checked US$40 is only for up to 39 year olds.  For those 60 to 70 it is US$138 a month!

4 hours ago, kd_traveller said:

I nearly got excited for a minute until I checked US$40 is only for up to 39 year olds.  For those 60 to 70 it is US$138 a month!

Yah I forgot to mention that. Any suggestions for the older folk? I'm a few years shy of hitting 39 lol.

I was born with a hole in my heart. The resulting surgery left me with a two flaps in a place that is supposed to have three. This doesn't bode well for a person's life span, unless is heals on its own over time, which allegedly it did. But I've always had to worry about my heart, and being fat has not helped.

I got a routine cancer screening in Bangkok and they found that I had high blood pressure. So I went to a Bangkok heart doctor. They ran all the tests and said, "Your heart is okay, but are you aware that you are fat? How did that happen?" In the end, it turns out my blood pressure is generally good and I suspect it was the Thai air quality.

I was the fourth most active member of my gym last month, but also diagnosed with sleep apnea and struggling to get a good routine on the machine.

• Like 1

On 23/03/2021 at 14:11, coolbluebahamut said:

I was born with a hole in my heart. The resulting surgery left me with a two flaps in a place that is supposed to have three. This doesn't bode well for a person's life span, unless is heals on its own over time, which allegedly it did. But I've always had to worry about my heart, and being fat has not helped.

I got a routine cancer screening in Bangkok and they found that I had high blood pressure. So I went to a Bangkok heart doctor. They ran all the tests and said, "Your heart is okay, but are you aware that you are fat? How did that happen?" In the end, it turns out my blood pressure is generally good and I suspect it was the Thai air quality.

I was the fourth most active member of my gym last month, but also diagnosed with sleep apnea and struggling to get a good routine on the machine.

Apparently the air quality in Thailand doesnt bode well for those with heart issues. Maybe think of going to the souther islands like Samui or Phangan? Thats where im contemplating going after a stint in pattaya.

2 hours ago, Turtle123 said:

Apparently the air quality in Thailand doesnt bode well for those with heart issues. Maybe think of going to the souther islands like Samui or Phangan? Thats where im contemplating going after a stint in pattaya.

I've been to Samui and so far out of anywhere, it might be where I'd love to live the most. Especially if I could find a place right by the giant Guan Yu statue. I wonder how one volunteers as that place.

For now, I think I'll survive my month. I've got an N95 mask now too. Not sure how useful it actually is for that.

Just found out my friend is well and ok. Had the aortic valve replaced.

He didn't tell me the story yet but he said that "he was shafted by his health insurance". Will update when I talk with him again

On 28/03/2021 at 11:19, 2dave said:

Just found out my friend is well and ok. Had the aortic valve replaced.

He didn't tell me the story yet but he said that "he was shafted by his health insurance". Will update when I talk with him again

It seems that this happens quite a lot in Thailand, not sure if your friends insurance was with a Thai company but mine was.  We were told what the cover included but when it came to making a claim it was totally different to what they had said.   Lasy year it cost me over 1,000,000 baht! 

7 hours ago, udontony said:

It seems that this happens quite a lot in Thailand, not sure if your friends insurance was with a Thai company but mine was.  We were told what the cover included but when it came to making a claim it was totally different to what they had said.   Lasy year it cost me over 1,000,000 baht! 

I think that there are many misleading statements given at different times. Thankfully, mine was covered by my insurance and like yours was more than 1,000,000 baht. I was a little lucky though, I was a teacher and had taught the head doctor and manager at the Pattaya Memorial Hospital. They gave me some discount. I did help.

Greetings,

I also know him, get well soon my friend!

Based on my own experience and research, the best hospital for cardiac surgery and cardiology is Bangkok General Heart Hospital! Bangkok General Heart Hospital is very expensive but you get what you paid for!

Hang Loose, mongoose!

3 hours ago, 2dave said:

I think that there are many misleading statements given at different times. Thankfully, mine was covered by my insurance and like yours was more than 1,000,000 baht. I was a little lucky though, I was a teacher and had taught the head doctor and manager at the Pattaya Memorial Hospital. They gave me some discount. I did help.

My expensive hospital bills last year also included the money I spent on travel and tests that were required before surgery, but the insurance should have picked up most of the bill if they had been honest.

1 hour ago, Yabusaki said:

Greetings,

I also know him, get well soon my friend!

Based on my own experience and research, the best hospital for cardiac surgery and cardiology is Bangkok General Heart Hospital! Bangkok General Heart Hospital is very expensive but you get what you paid for!

I know it is a long way from Pattaya but Khon Kaen heart hospital, the heart center for all Issan is brilliant.  It is classed as a government hospital but you can also get treatment there privately.  Everything considered, it can be much cheaper than most other hospitals and you get world class expertise.  I had surgery there almost four years ago and i could not fault them in any way. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, udontony said:

I had surgery there almost four years ago and i could not fault them in any way. 

Same. I have never had a problem at any hospital that I have been in in Thailand. I live in Suphanburi now and share myself between a Private Hospital and the Government Hospital. They are both first rate for care and attention. Like government hospitals everywhere you wait your turn when visiting the government hospital.

2 hours ago, 2dave said:

Same. I have never had a problem at any hospital that I have been in in Thailand. I live in Suphanburi now and share myself between a Private Hospital and the Government Hospital. They are both first rate for care and attention. Like government hospitals everywhere you wait your turn when visiting the government hospital.

I do not worry about having to wait my turn at government hospitals, I have the time.   When you consider the difference in costs it makes waiting a very profitable occupation, on many occasions I have saved thousands of baht by waiting an hour or two and then seen the same doctor that worked in the private hospital!   Private hospitals probably win with the hotel and convenience side of things but in reality I am there to see a doctor and get myself sorted out, government hospitals do that just as well as the private in my experience.

23 hours ago, udontony said:

I am there to see a doctor and get myself sorted out, government hospitals do that just as well as the private in my experience.

Never a truer word said and the doctors at the government hospitals are generally the ones that you see in the private hospitals - at least they are here where I live. 

Had my time well spent waiting when I last visited the government hospital. A couple of nurses wanted to learn and practice their English so I had a good relaxing wait. The nurses were good looking too which helped

5 hours ago, 2dave said:

Had my time well spent waiting when I last visited the government hospital. A couple of nurses wanted to learn and practice their English so I had a good relaxing wait. The nurses were good looking too which helped

When I was in Siriraj hospital last year, the senior nurse sent in small groups of young nurses to practise their English, brightened up my day every day.

Would you guys mind mentioning which health insurance companies you felt shafted you?

Going to be looking into health insurance soon and will take it into account.

18 hours ago, udontony said:

When I was in Siriraj hospital last year, the senior nurse sent in small groups of young nurses to practise their English, brightened up my day every day.

It does make you feel a bit better and having someone to talk with certainly helps.

Because of my ongoing heart issues (had surgery when I was 8), doctors regularly ask if they can have there interns listen to the heart and guess the issues. Some get it right

18 hours ago, Old Scratch said:

Would you guys mind mentioning which health insurance companies you felt shafted you?

Going to be looking into health insurance soon and will take it into account.

My company was "  Thai Life " also know as Thai hypercan, not sure of spelling!   Promised the earth but I got almost nothing from them, said i was covered until I was 91 and then a big payoit, dropped at 70 plus no payout for heart problem before i was 70.   They talk good and apparently they give their sales people a massive payout on new business, the two things are linked!   This is the biggest company in Thailand.

• Like 1