Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

"Bangkok Thai" to "Esaan Thai"

Goldfishpie

I don't have money: mai mi tang (thai): bo mi ngoen (esaan, lao)

Or "man mien satang teh" in Issan kmer

Is it delicious? Aroi mai? Saep bo?

Really delicious! Aroi mahk mahk! Saep eeree!

Lao girl very beautiful! Poosao Lao ngam lai lai!

Never mind! Bo pen nyang!

When no money... she no give honey! 

Where in Issan are you going to? Your examples are Laos Issan....If you go to Surin it is Suay ( Issan Kmer)

It has been more than 5 years since I lived there but here are a few..

Where go?...Doh Nat?

Delicious...Chengeng darun darun teh.

Can't..Man bang teh!

Don't want... Man yuen teh.

Don't understand..Man Ding teh.

Spicy..herrr teh

and one for Pattaya Beach..Man yuen doh helteu teh..I don't want to go swimming!!

One I used all the time. Meen beer saket bru darun darun teh den man cam teh..I have two dogs they bark alot but they don't bite ( I was lying!!)

Surin / Khmer

A "Doh Nat" (sometimes sounds like "Doh Nah") will defintely turn my head. another one that would clue me in would be "Ta Oi" (short ahh sound). Jeremia just jogged my memory here because i would confuse the two at times. "Ta Oi" = what are you doing ?

couple more i can remember off the top of my head (been 3 or 4 years since the last time i have been in Surin) . . .

Sadai = what ?

Hobai = eat

Moh Hobai = come and eat

Klian Bai = hungry

One girl from Mukdahan once told me: "koi yat zee chow"

Anyone know what it means?

Sounds like it should be "koi hak see kao" - I love white............

Been trying a few of these out and been getting some great laughs. Nice one guys.

• 2 weeks later...
I am intrigued by Thai history and am trying to learn from where people in different areas of Thailand originated. I am reading "Popular History of Thailand" by M.L. Manich Jumsel who states that the "thai" people originally came from Mongolia and different people moved into current day Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and Thailand from China. (the word Thai originates from Chinese and means "free") I would like to know more about as their origins clearly differ, with very light skinned people in the northern border areas with Laos and very much darker skinned people around the Buri Ram area. Then you have the Khmer speaking people scattered amongst them. If anyone can recommend a book more easily digested than the one I referred I would appreciate the information.

My only contribution to Isaan/Laos

Where are you in Thai: "yoo nai", in Isaan "sai nai".

Sorry guys to TF but as its kind of interesting side issue. . . .

I was watching late nite TV in Hong Kong some yers back and watching a Shanghinese movie of teh late 1930s. Amazing cinematography, and the sory was so well presented you hardly needed teh subtitles. But any way it was teh story of a traveling Movie projector boy (like we still get hree in Thailand) and he went to southern China and what struck me was that the rural population in the area they were shooting spoke Thai and dressed like the Thai Hill tribes. My Chinese colleagues confirmed there are parts of China where teh native Dialect IS Thai.

It is better to light even one candle than to live in fear of the dark.

When you go to bar and they change to their Northern dialect, just say "Koi wao Lao" and they will scatter in all directions :GoldenSmile1:

• 3 weeks later...

Bor yaak gin = I don't want to eat

Bor yaak Bpy = I don't want to go

Bor Yaak = I don't want

eepor = father ( the "por" would have to be spoken quickly )

eebay = mother (the "bay" would have to be spoken quickly)

Interesting about parts of China speaking Thai

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a few more...

English = Bangkok = Esaan

Crazy = Ting Tong = BaBa BoBo

Sandal/Shoe = Long Taao = Guap

Here are a few more...

English = Bangkok = Esaan

Crazy = Ting Tong = BaBa BoBo

Sandal/Shoe = Long Taao = Guap

I think that you will actually find that ติงต๊อง ...dting-dtóng is slang - not Bangkok Thai

บ้า ...bâa means crazy in Thai and I'm not sure that บ้าๆ บอๆ....bâabâa bawbaw is Isaan.

รองเท้า...rong táo is shoe in Thai, I would write it as gerp (without sounding the R ),not guap for Isaan pronuncuation

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

[quote My Chinese colleagues confirmed there are parts of China where teh native Dialect IS Thai.

Yup, it's called Xishuangbanna 西双版纳, a multi-ethnic area in Yunnan province. Thais used to be the biggest minority group and took great delight in drenching obnoxious Chinese officials during Songkran :) All changed a lot since they built an airport at Jinghong: heaving with backpackers these days. I think there's a direct flight from BKK.