IGNORED

Wiping an identity on Win 10

Danolo

Coming to you guys for your usual "no nonsense" help.

I have an older (10 years) desktop that I want to sell, dismantle, etc.

But it has an identity of the former user that I want to delete,  and I cannot seem to get past Windows security password requirements to do this.

Is my only option to re-format the system drive?

Do you guys have a simple easy-to-use tool to delete windows identities?

Thanks

Edited by Danolo

I would wipe the disk with dban or hirens boot disk and then reinstall Windows. Just deleting user profiles and files can be restored.

• Like 2

for a platter drive: (on the HDD is twill have an RPM listing 500, 7000 etc..)

If your in a hurry or don't have a ton of IT knowledge this is the easy way;

replace it  (IMO hard drives are cheap and SSD's give old PC's new life) remove the old drive and put nails through the drive.  

if you have time and don't want to replace the drive

if you have access to a hard drive wiping program on a bootable USB disk run it as many times are you want to (some recovery systems can see some info after 8 rewrites of the entire HDD.  the re-install the OS

for an SSD

in a hurry?  smash the drive with a hammer until it looks like coleslaw without the sauce. 

the USB option works well for SSD's once the wipe is performed once or twice you can re-install the os.  they ability for memory retention on a SSD is far less than a traditional platter drive 

Is it necessary that the computer be sold with Windows installed? If not, remove or replace the HDD and sell it without an operating system.

Lotsa help there guys, thanks..

The computer is my wife's old machine and I want to wipe the hard drive and then possible sell it as a working unit.

Or if I cannot solve the other problem, I may take the disk out and install it as a 4th disk in my own desktop.

Yes, It may be best to just destroy it, but first I want to try and recover it.

I do not have a bootable windows 10 disk, but the case has the MS serial number.

The other problem is that it may be overheating.  I was using it for some pretty strenuous work and it shut down, but restarted a day later ; classic symptoms of over heating, no?

Its been sitting running for 2 hours and hasn't shut down, so I dunno. I think I'll take the sides off it and see if its plugged with dust.

Its a project.

You need to find out what is overheating...so run

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor-pro.html

Keep an eye on the CPU and graphics temps.

Run something strenuous like

https://benchmark.unigine.com
https://www.mersenne.org/download/

Both together and see what fails.

Then look at the fans for that component...clean out the inside and all the dust on the fans.

You may need to replace broken fans or slow down a component to get it working 100%

It’s a ten year old laptop, it’s not worth anything. Smash it to bits with a hammer if you want to delete the previous data. 

10 hours ago, Danolo said:

Coming to you guys for your usual "no nonsense" help.

Unless it is a workstation, high-level type laptop, the most no nonsense thing to do would be to destroy it.  Break it apart with a hammer.  Drill through the hard drive several times.  Throw it away in different trash bags over several weeks. 

Windows 10 came out 3 years ago so it is not a native Windows 10 machine.  Most efficient use of your time is to destroy it and dispose of it securely.

@Danolo Since you mention wanting to sell/give on the desktop, IMO your best option would be to wipe or replace the drive and install a fresh version of Windows. The free tools to do that are here -->  https://www.microsoft.com/th-th/software-download/windows10 

That gives whoever gets the machine a fresh start without any extraneous programs clogging up the works. :-) Additionally, you would not need to worry about anything accidently left behind. 

If the Administrator account on the computer is currently tied to a Microsoft address (not a local account) then when the Administrator relogs in the first time with that connected account, the new install of Windows will reactivate. 

I'd agree that back in the West, a ten year old desktop would be hard to get rid of. Thailand isn't the same. I know I have Thai family that would love to have any computer, ten years old or not. In Pattaya, some place like Father Ray would love to have an additional computer, ten years old or not. I'm sure you know people without who would love to have a working computer, ten years old or not. :-) I wouldn't expect to get all that many baht from it though. 

15 hours ago, Danolo said:

But it has an identity of the former user that I want to delete,  and I cannot seem to get past Windows security password requirements to do this.

Is my only option to re-format the system drive?

Do you guys have a simple easy-to-use tool to delete windows identities?

If your computer works OK now, it's worth selling or donating. All my midtower cases, and most of the motherboards are well older than 10 years and except for a failed part here and there, they've run Windows versions from Windows 2000 to Win2016 server JUST FINE. 

I did upgrade one motherboard & CPU to run newer Virtual Machines for a class but prefer the older ones for most use. 

Maybe you could provide more information as to what kind of account you are using and what kind of account you are trying to delete?

Reformating the HD is an option and preferable IMO unless you are confident you can delete former users' data. If you don't have a Windows install disk/license you could install Linux to show a prospective new owner that the computer works...or just install WIndows w/o a license and let the new owner acquire that. 

Info in the below link looks reasonable but I haven't tried it. Good luck. 

https://www.hellotech.com/guide/for/how-to-delete-administrator-account-windows-10

Edited by CyberPro

I'd recommend removing the hard drive and sell it like that or with a new hard drive.  And then destroy the old hard drive.  That is the safest and easiest solution.

If you have reasons to keep the computer as it is there is another way:

1. In windows go to Setting
  2. Select Update & Security
  3. Select recovery
  4. Select Get started button under Reset this PC
  5. Choose the option to remove everything
  6. If the next option is to Remove files and clean the drive the select that.
  7. Continue on from there.

Then you will have a new pc without any of your data.

Edited by Downandup

Its not a laptop... its actually a big desktop.

i Haven't opened it up to clean it yet.  I expect to get to that next week.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I'm leaning towards wiping the hard drive (reformatting?) and installing windows or Linux and then selling or donating it.

• Like 2

In the UK we have waste disposal sites, some are tied to local youth organisations which use either the whole computer or individual components.   I've seen disposal companies in Canada but you'll need to check locally to see see what recycling options are available.  If you go down this route wipe the drive.

If its overheating a good clean usually helps.  You will find the thermal paste on the CPU and Northbridge has started to dry up and deteriorate.  Ideally this  needs to be replaced.  If your keeping it you'll need to do this.  If your donating leave it for someone else to do.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/01/2021 at 05:00, Arnie85 said:

No one wants a decade old laptop. 

Actually not entirely true and the reason why is why you should wipe it or replace the hard drive if you plan to give it away or recycle it.  For people who want to get into digital forensics buying old cheap PCs and laptops to practice on is a great way to learn that craft. 

That’s like correcting someone who has said no one wants a ten year old hotel mattress by saying “I’m sure there are people out there who study bed bugs who might be interested”. 

Ha Arnie... you are a funny guy... Thanks

So, to update...

I haven't done much except I tried to re-create the circumstances where it shut down.

I was running software that used a LOT of the resources and I suspect that is the culprit.

The inside is clean and dust free.

Its a PITA because the software I was using, I particularly want to run it on this computer because it slows down my main machine so much. My plan was to have this second machine working away by itself while I went on with other things.

The software that uses so much is  program I have used for years that converts video files to DVD's. I'm going to try a different program to do this and perhaps that will be the easy solution.

I think I want to solve the overheating/shutdown issue first and then I'll deal with deleting the identities.

So that's my next step. Thanks to you all for your help and suggestions. I'll work on this slowly...

• 1 month later...
On 25/01/2021 at 01:26, Arnie85 said:

That’s like correcting someone who has said no one wants a ten year old hotel mattress by saying “I’m sure there are people out there who study bed bugs who might be interested”. 

There is an important difference I think you are overlooking.  The bedbugs are unlikely to have information about your passwords, finances, medical history or personal habits whereas your hard drive probably will.  

True. So it’s even worse.  Destroy the fucking thing.  He keeps saying he can sell it. It’s a ten year old desktop.  Anyone could just buy a new one with better specs for a few hundred bucks. Who would buy it?

Edited by Arnie85

• 1 month later...
On 01/03/2021 at 00:04, Arnie85 said:

True. So it’s even worse.  Destroy the fucking thing.  He keeps saying he can sell it. It’s a ten year old desktop.  Anyone could just buy a new one with better specs for a few hundred bucks. Who would buy it?

Sorry to be so long answering.. I sold the case, motherboard, power supply and video card for 125.00.

I bought a hard drive docking thing, so I can now access the old 1TB drives for anything I may want and then I will destroy them, after I buy a new external 4TB drive. That should do me for storage and backups;.. for a while.

Edited by Danolo
  • Like 2