IGNORED

RIP Dean Jones

davidge

It was a real shock when I heard this news earlier today. I’m sure all cricket fans really appreciated him as a batsman and as a commentator.

Here’s an article from The Cricketer:

Former Australia batsman Dean Jones dies aged 59

Jones passed away after suffering a heart attack while staying at a hotel in Mumbai

deanjones2409202002

The Cricketer | 24/09/2020 at 11:26

The former Australia batsman Dean Jones has died at the age of 59.

Jones passed away after suffering a heart attack on Thursday, while staying at a hotel in Mumbai.

He was in India as part of the Star Sports commentary team for the IPL.

"It is with great sadness that we share the news of the passing away of Mr Dean Mervyn Jones AM," Star India said in a statement.

"He died of a sudden cardiac arrest. We express our deep condolences to his family and stand ready to support them in this difficult time. We are in touch with the Australian High Commission to make the necessary arrangements.

"Dean Jones was one of the great ambassadors of the game associating himself with cricket development across South Asia. He was passionate about discovering new talent and nurturing young cricketers.

deanjones2409202003

Former Australia batsman Dean Jones has died

"He was a champion commentator whose presence and presentation of the game always brought joy to millions of fans. He will be sorely missed by everyone at Star and his millions of fans across the globe."

Jones made 52 Test appearances and won 164 one-day international caps for Australia between 1984 and 1994, making just shy of 10,000 runs across formats, including 17 centuries - one of which, his famous 210 against India in Madras on the 1986-87 tour, came in a tied test and ended with the batsman on a saline drip.

He was part of the Australia squad which won the 1987 World Cup, and the 1989 Ashes.

Cricket Australia chairman Earl Eddings paid tribute to Jones on Thursday.

“Dean Jones was a hero to a generation of cricketers and will forever be remembered as a legend of this great game,” Eddings said in a statement.

“Anyone who watched cricket in the 1980s and 1990s will fondly recall his cavalier approach at the crease and the incredible energy and passion he brought to every game he played.

“Although many remember him for his brilliance in the 50-over game, arguably Jones’ finest moment in the national team came in scorching conditions in Chennai in 1986, where his selfless and courageous innings of 210 helped Australia to a famous tie against India.

“Jones remained an immensely popular figure in Australian and Victorian cricket throughout his life and was a much-loved columnist and commentator in every corner of the cricketing world.

“This is a truly sad day. Deano’s loss will be felt not just at home in Australia, but across the globe

deanjones2409202004

Jones made more than 200 appearances for Australia

Jones went on to enjoys careers in coaching and the media, where he was known to be a forthright pundit.

There was more to the former Victoria and Derbyshire captain than his work on the pitch and in the studio, however.

Jones is credited with having played a major role in the development of white-ball cricket across the world, and raised substantial sums of money for charity through sponsored walks.

He leaves behind wife Jane and two daughters - Phoebe and Isabella.

An outpouring of emotion on social media followed the news of Jones' death, which is reported to have taken place at around noon IST on Thursday.

Fellow commentator Harsha Bhogle wrote on Twitter: "Everyone has stories to tell of Deano. Always wonderful to talk to, always provocative and one of the great lovers of cricket. In grief."

Ali Naqvi, the owner of Islamabad United, whom Jones coached to victory in the Pakistan Super League in 2016, said: "Amna (Naqvi) and I are devastated beyond words on Deano’s news. It truly feels like losing a close family member. Our thoughts are with Jane and family. RIP Coach, you will always be in our thoughts and prayers!"

Australia opener David Warner wrote: "I can’t believe this news. So very sad to hear about this. Rip Deano, you will be missed."

Former national coach Darren Lehmann added: "So sad. RIP legend and love to his family, our thoughts are with them all".

Jones's former teammate Tom Moody posted: "Speechless with the tragic news of the passing of my great mate and beloved cricketing man. You will be sorely missed by your cricketing family, sincere condolences to Jane and the girls."

A statement from Derbyshire, whom Jones captained in 1996 and 1997, read: "The club is deeply saddened to learn of the sudden death of former captain, Dean Jones.

"This is a tragic loss for the game and our thoughts are with Dean's family."

A statement from the Australian Cricketers' Association read: "The ACA is deeply saddened by the passing of Dean Jones, a giant of the game who gave so much to cricket and entertained us so much along the way.

"We send our condolences to his family."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Very sad to wake up to this news.   He personified grit throughout his career and did a not bad job afterwards.

I had a brief chat with him in an airport line years ago.  Nice bloke.

• Like 3

Very sad news and a great shock this. Was only watching a video of him a couple of days ago. He was winding Curtley Ambrose up about wearing a white wrist band in a white ball limited overs game. Very funny cricket story superbly told by Dean Jones, there's a video of this on youtube.

My biggest memory of Dean Jones was 1988 and him playing village cricket near me for Nostell in the old Leeds Cricket League. He also brought Tony Dodemaide with him for part of the season. Very popular down to earth guy he scored centuries galore, lots of big hitting on some very small postage stamp type urban Leeds cricket grounds. 

Great batsman, coach, and commentator, cricket will miss a great character RIP 

• Like 3

A great sportsman and a sad loss. RIP.

• Like 3

image.png

My dear old mum phoned me this morning to tell me this.

Awful news. He will be missed. :(

RIP Professor Deano, your expert comments during Indian premier league will always be remembered.

I dislike cricket but always watched matches when Dean Jones was batting, an exciting player that made a boring game interesting. 

I'm 59 fuck me it's to young to die I'm going to try make the best of every day, this covid has stuff me up but

Vale Deano RIP - would have wished you a far longer innings.

Life must be lived forward, but can only be understood backwards.