IGNORED

Flight thai airways november cancelled

roccos

hello

i had a flight bru-bkk thai airways 28/11 until 12/12. 28/11 get cancelled by thai airways and offer me 3 options

1) reschedule..but don’t know when tourists will be allowed to travel thailand again

2) voucher..but is it safe seeing situation of thai airways ?

3) refund..but can take a long time due to same reason

any idea which is the best option ? 

i don’t need my money now but i want to be sure to get it one day...

refund is clearly the best option.

Edited by petehoax
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

Refund for me at least i will get money back then I'm free to book again when situation becomes much clearer and Thailand starts to open up again. I've had more cancellations this year and not prepared for anymore disappointments.

Take the refund because it will be 2-3 years minimum before any thoughts of regular tourists will return. As I said here yesterday October 2023 I have pencilled in as first return trip

thanks already for reply, Thai send me those infos for refund :

"please be informed that the refund period will take minimum  6 -12 months after you submitted your request for refund, due to the special reform status of our company (*)

* Important Remark for refunds  : As THAI is currently undergoing rehabilitation proceedings through the Central Bankruptcy Court, the company regrets to inform our customers that it is temporarily prohibited from processing any refund requests at this time. 

12 months for a refund   :),, I get a strong impression they don't want you to ask for a refund  :)

Probably a very good warning for people not to book with this airline

I'm at a loss as to why this @Vondethcharacter gave that face palm on the earlier post

Perhaps he's deluded himself into thinking somehow he will be returning earlier !!  He wont....

No regular tourist requiring no quarantine or restrictions will come in for at least 3 years and then some 

1 hour ago, Bonzot said:

I'm at a loss as to why this @Vondethcharacter gave that face palm on the earlier post

Perhaps he's deluded himself into thinking somehow he will be returning earlier !!  He wont....

No regular tourist requiring no quarantine or restrictions will come in for at least 3 years and then some 

No delusion on my part I’m neither desperate or pathetic to realize when  international travel will resume.

Unless you’re the only one in this world that has a crystal ball that will be able to inform us all when Normality returns.

IMO, the 2 realistic options are: reschedule for late 2022 or (try) get a refund

5 hours ago, roccos said:

thanks already for reply, Thai send me those infos for refund :

"please be informed that the refund period will take minimum  6 -12 months after you submitted your request for refund, due to the special reform status of our company (*)

* Important Remark for refunds  : As THAI is currently undergoing rehabilitation proceedings through the Central Bankruptcy Court, the company regrets to inform our customers that it is temporarily prohibited from processing any refund requests at this time. 

Between a rock and a hard place

Would seem reading between their lines, that any refund will be contingent on Thai Airways becoming solvent and free from statutory encumbrances.

Re-booking/Vouchers gambles on the resurrection of travel in general, as well as the longevity of the airline.

Either way your position for now is as an unsecured creditor in their state of insolvency :unsure:

I'd take the refund. My was flight was cancelled out of PER in Oct and was only offered a voucher to reschedule until Dec 2021, thats if our borders open and not to mention what restrictions will be in place if they do open. So a refund would be my preferred option.

4 minutes ago, barmatt said:

I'd take the refund. My was flight was cancelled out of PER in Oct and was only offered a voucher to reschedule until Dec 2021, thats if our borders open and not to mention what restrictions will be in place if they do open. So a refund would be my preferred option.

They like to make you think that your only option is a voucher but some countries have laws where they have to give you a refund or you have the option of a chargeback as well if you paid by credit card.

3 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

They like to make you think that your only option is a voucher but some countries have laws where they have to give you a refund or you have the option of a chargeback as well if you paid by credit card.

Thanks I'll look into it and make some calls.

I booked through an agent and paid by CC so dont know if thats the reason I was only offered a voucher.

Edited by barmatt

7 minutes ago, barmatt said:

Thanks I'll look into it and make some calls.

I booked through an agent and paid by CC so dont know if thats the reason I was only offered a voucher.

Ah, ya the law regarding refunds is only if you have booked directly but the chargeback option might still be possible if you talk to your credit card company as you have not received what you paid for or a reasonable alternative. 

Be sure to ask how long the voucher is good for... 

I would not doubt that it is only good for 1 year or less...

I know plenty of ppl who got stuck with those and won't be able to use them...

1 hour ago, Ohyesuare said:

I'm owed a refund going back 4- 5 months and I really doubt I'll see it soon or at all.

Happy to apply it to travel - but thats a way off as well.

Thai Airways emailed me at the beginning of September saying -

"THAI would like to offer you an alternative option to exchange your refund requests or unused tickets for a THAI Travel Voucher, allowing you more flexibility for your future travels. 

Please note the following THAI Travel Voucher benefits:

-  The voucher is the same value as your refund value
   - It can be used as credit towards any future flights operated by THAI or THAI Smile, including purchase of air tickets to payment of taxes
    - It can be used on any THAI or THAI Smile route
    - It can be used as credit towards other THAI services, for example, upgrade of travel class, excess baggage purchase, preferred seat purchase or service fees
    - Validity until 31 December 2022
    - Transferable to any person with proof of documents presented at time of new ticket issue
    - Unused voucher value can be refunded 6 months prior to expiration date 

Like many airlines they are not in a position to do refunds anytime soon.

Life must be lived forward, but can only be understood backwards.

29 minutes ago, Zeb said:

I'm owed a refund going back 4- 5 months and I really doubt I'll see it soon or at all.

Happy to apply it to travel - but thats a way off as well.

Thai Airways emailed me at the beginning of September saying -

"THAI would like to offer you an alternative option to exchange your refund requests or unused tickets for a THAI Travel Voucher, allowing you more flexibility for your future travels. 

Please note the following THAI Travel Voucher benefits:

-  The voucher is the same value as your refund value
   - It can be used as credit towards any future flights operated by THAI or THAI Smile, including purchase of air tickets to payment of taxes
    - It can be used on any THAI or THAI Smile route
    - It can be used as credit towards other THAI services, for example, upgrade of travel class, excess baggage purchase, preferred seat purchase or service fees
    - Validity until 31 December 2022
    - Transferable to any person with proof of documents presented at time of new ticket issue
    - Unused voucher value can be refunded 6 months prior to expiration date 

Like many airlines they are not in a position to do refunds anytime soon.

Chargeback if you paid by credit card. You are not getting the service you paid for in a timely manner.

I had a number of cancelled flights by Thai Airways between May and September and a refund was never an option.  The options were either a reschedule or a travel voucher, which has to be for the same route as I booked with them by December 2021.  My flight is one way from Bangkok so I have no idea if it will be any good to me next year because I have no intention of travelling back while quarantine is necessary.

If a refund is an option, go for it.

Edited by Crushed

12 hours ago, Vondeth said:

No delusion on my part I’m neither desperate or pathetic to realize when  international travel will resume.

Unless you’re the only one in this world that has a crystal ball that will be able to inform us all when Normality returns.

Fella dont move the goalposts. I refer you back to my original question. 

On 24/09/2020 at 13:43, roccos said:

hello

i had a flight bru-bkk thai airways 28/11 until 12/12. 28/11 get cancelled by thai airways and offer me 3 options

1) reschedule..but don’t know when tourists will be allowed to travel thailand again

2) voucher..but is it safe seeing situation of thai airways ?

3) refund..but can take a long time due to same reason

any idea which is the best option ? 

i don’t need my money now but i want to be sure to get it one day...

I’m still waiting for my refund from Thai for my cancelled flight 2 months ago.  There is some kind of legal case going through with them which is to do with financially restructuring the company I think. I keep chasing them and just get the same old emails that I have to wait.  

I have received refunds from BA for cancelled flights to Thailand this year. however for my cancelled flights to USA with Virgin and they only offered vouchers so I got my credit card company to intervene and they got my credit card reimbursed. 

Go for the refund... you can always call them if flights start up again and switch it for a voucher.. I’ve been owed my refund since April .. have been told it can take up to six months .. don’t think any money is being paid out yet due to there bankruptcy issues. 

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

As I've already said 

However the terminology, the Airline is in a state of insolvency waiting for recompense is a poor bet and analogous with a 'turkey looking forward to Christmas'

If though you did pay using a Credit Card the card issuers are both jointly and severally liable in the matter, their deep pockets have no encumbrances to your due refund and you would be better advised to make the claim with them.