IGNORED

Photography workshops / tours?

jmukh

I've seen some extremely high-end workshops by celebrity photographers in different parts of the world being advertised fairly regularly as soon as I started researching cameras and lenses a few years ago :) Is there anything similar being held in Thailand? I'd be interested in model photography, learning lighting, or landscape photography, but I'd probably sign up for anything that looked interesting next time I'm there. 

Failing that, are there any local places that teach photography, maybe with short day courses (like a photography version of the one day cooking classes I saw everywhere in Bangkok)? I missed a couple of interesting-looking ones when I was in Vietnam, told myself I'd definitely find something similar in Thailand this year, and now I'm hiding out during a global pandemic looking at photos online and daydreaming about the next trip. 

I like going to the odd workshop myself, have been on 3 wedding ones and one on SEO given by renowned photographers and unfortunately all of them were a waste of money. Certain YouTubers run 7 day trips to exotic places, I looked at the itinery of one by Matt Granger an Aussie photographer. He ran an extensive tour to Cambodia and after pricing it up I did virtually the same trip at a third of the cost. Thousands of dollars in savings. The best thing I did was go to Siam Reap and have a local photographer guide take me around one on one, he knew all the best spots at the right time of day and took me to a village on Tonie Sap lake which was incredible for photos. So I would look into doing something that if I were you. He is near top rated on Trip Advisor. In terms of value for money it was great. Much more hands on time and not as conspicuous as 10 of you trooping around a market or what not in a big group. Also so much can be learned on places like YouTube for free. However a lighting course or learning how to shoot models really needs hands on time so is probably different.

On 31/07/2020 at 09:35, jmukh said:

I've seen some extremely high-end workshops by celebrity photographers in different parts of the world being advertised fairly regularly as soon as I started researching cameras and lenses a few years ago :) Is there anything similar being held in Thailand? I'd be interested in model photography, learning lighting, or landscape photography, but I'd probably sign up for anything that looked interesting next time I'm there. 

Failing that, are there any local places that teach photography, maybe with short day courses (like a photography version of the one day cooking classes I saw everywhere in Bangkok)? I missed a couple of interesting-looking ones when I was in Vietnam, told myself I'd definitely find something similar in Thailand this year, and now I'm hiding out during a global pandemic looking at photos online and daydreaming about the next trip. 

Have you heard of workshops done by a group called 'Shoot Ventures'?  They had a good shoot on Koh Samui in Thailand earlier this year.  They also have had shoots in Indonesia and in the Philippines.  A number of very good photographers that I know personally attend 'Shoot Ventures' events.

Are you living in Thailand now or are you living in a different country?  As you must know - there are currently NO international flights into Thailand and none are in the foreseeable future.

17 hours ago, Komando said:

Have you heard of workshops done by a group called 'Shoot Ventures'?  They had a good shoot on Koh Samui in Thailand earlier this year.  They also have had shoots in Indonesia and in the Philippines.  A number of very good photographers that I know personally attend 'Shoot Ventures' events.

Are you living in Thailand now or are you living in a different country?  As you must know - there are currently NO international flights into Thailand and none are in the foreseeable future.

Yup, this is all just research for whenever it's safe to fly again. Most of the international photography courses I've seen would take me a year to save for anyway; I was hoping to find a few in-between options taught by locals as an alternative (as @baggy67 describes above).