IGNORED

Anyone using the DJI Osmo Pocket?

jmukh

I picked up one of these to play around with, and am still not sure what to think  of it. Has anyone tried this for either street videos, food tours, or the inevitable movies shot back at the hotel?

I stopped messing with the controller settings and just mount it with my phone attached (which works much better). The built-in gimbal seems incredibly smooth to my non-professional eyes, so I'm assuming there's some potential there for hand-held videos out on the street, without having to set up a tripod at a restaurant?

Conversely, has anyone had experience using an action-cam in Thailand (something like a GoPro or one of the many clones)?

When would you use one of these instead of reaching for a mirrorless / DSLR? I've had some trouble attempting to play / edit the footage in 4k, but the 2k mode seems to work perfectly so far. I'll hopefully be able to travel and experiment with this some more soon. 

• 3 years later...

I use the dji Pocket 2 for walking videos as the gimbal produces super smooth footage.
If I want to be more on the icognito mode, e.g. filming around beach rd, I use the pocket 2 like: right hands is down near my body, in the right hand I hold the pocket 2 facing to the front, just then I switch the camera on with the selfie on button on the right side of the cam. This way my hand covers almost everything of the pocket cam itself, only the gimbla is free in front of my hand. the following video shows how its done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMQCkcMN_F4

On vacation i use mine. Walking videos are an interesting option, never did that before. I still feel a bit stupid, running around with a cam like some youtuber. But great videos. Used it on the speed boat to Koh Larn. Big mistake, looked like a very smooth travel....

• 4 weeks later...

GoPros and similar cams are perfect for trips, especially in places like Thailand. They're awesome for grabbing quick shots without lugging around a big camera. And sticking to 2k for editing is a smart move saves a lot of headaches.