IGNORED

No budget apartments with kitchen facilities?

Jay108

This is based on my observations decades ago, living in Chiang Mai. Perhaps now in Pattaya is different. I doubt it

I see fancy places at THB 1000 per night. hotels really. But, I seek a monthly rental of one room plus semi-outdoor Thai-style (prep, cook and wash up on balcony) 'kitchens'. You know, double gas burner and a laundry sink plumbed properly. Doesn't have to be fancy, just serviceable.

Instead I see...

1. cheap: one room for persons who eat out (no cooking facilities)

2. Expensive: western-style kitchens. 

3. Moderate: quasi-kitchens (very shallow sink, microwave and a kettle - not for true cooks)

But how about for the guy who for non-negotiable reasons (e.g.medical or religious) he must buy groceries and cook meals from scratch? Perhaps you're a retired diabetic rabbi living on a meagre pension who keeps a kashrut kitchen and can't eat Thai food, but he's, well... addicted to what Pattaya has to offer.

Where do such renters (1-3 months) stay in Pattaya? Do they even exist? I never saw such accommodation except setting it up yourself.

Edited by Jay108

I don't know of any rooms + basic kitchen in Pattaya either.  For the most part, it's a matter of installing a burner stove on the balcony.  I wonder why this has not been done.  Legal issues?  Guests making far more of a mess (although this could be solved by charging a cleaning fee)?

2 minutes ago, wadman said:

I don't know of any rooms + basic kitchen in Pattaya either.  For the most part, it's a matter of installing a burner stove on the balcony.  I wonder why this has not been done.  Legal issues?  Guests making far more of a mess (although this could be solved by charging a cleaning fee)?

Fire risk? But there are those induction cookers (just charge for electricity by having a meter?)

My guess is too low demand.

A Kosher kitchen in Pattaya? Is that even possible? Wouldn't you need a Kosher butcher to get your meats? Never seen that in Pattaya. Please enlighten me.   :Dunno:

As far as a kitchen like you describe, there are condos with dirty kitchens on the balcony, but for a 1-3 month rental at a cheap price it will be difficult to find. I would suggest VT6, but I'm guessing it's out of your price range?

Thanks for your suggestions. Kosher/halal/vegetarian/whatever.

It's just a concept: fridge, stove, sink, good prep area attached to one room.

6 minutes ago, Jay108 said:

Thanks for your suggestions. Kosher/halal/vegetarian/whatever.

It's just a concept: fridge, stove, sink, good prep area attached to one room.

After thinking about it, even the cheap apts have a frig and a sink. You can buy a cheap 1 or 2 burner stove top, gas or elect at Big C, and your all set.

https://www.bigc.co.th/home-appliances-electronic-products/kitchen-appliances/induction.html

Edited by WhiteThai

28 minutes ago, WhiteThai said:

After thinking about it, even the cheap apts have a frig and a sink. You can buy a cheap 1 or 2 burner stove top, gas or elect at Big C, and your all set.

https://www.bigc.co.th/home-appliances-electronic-products/kitchen-appliances/induction.html

Can you actually do this though?  Would the hotel/guesthouse not object?

4 minutes ago, wadman said:

Can you actually do this though?  Would the hotel/guesthouse not object?

He was asking about apartments, not hotel. I don't remember seeing any rules against cooking in room in Pattaya, unlike PI where they're pretty strict. Can always ask, or what they don't know won't hurt them, 555

1 hour ago, Jay108 said:

But, I seek a monthly rental of one room plus semi-outdoor Thai-style (prep, cook and wash up on balcony) 'kitchens'.

Just now, WhiteThai said:

He was asking about apartments, not hotel. I don't remember seeing any RULES against cooking in room in Pattaya, unlike PI where they're pretty strict. Can always ask, or what they don't know won't hurt them, 555

2 minutes ago, WhiteThai said:

He was asking about apartments, not hotel. I don't remember seeing any RULES against cooking in room in Pattaya, unlike PI where they're pretty strict. Can always ask, or what they don't know won't hurt them, 555

I suppose if your cooking is very simple, you can always put away the stove and pot/pan after each use.  Out of sight, out of mind.

1 minute ago, wadman said:

Look at the title of the topic!   :Laugh1:

• 4 months later...

If you're keeping kosher, Pattaya isn't really the place for you. Forget kosher meat, or dairy (you're only drinking chalav nochri) BKK is a better bet for you, there's a beit Chabad there where you can get all you need, and a shul.

Oh, and well, the reasons why someone would come to Pattaya, well, not for people who are frum.

Pleasure is the only thing one should live for. 

Nothing ages like happiness.

- Oscar Wilde -

Reading the OP

Never seen one :Think1:

Methinks your looking in the wrong places

ads aimed at tourists aren't going to bear fruit, go look at the apartments the bar girls etc use - pretty much all encompass these basic needs.

58 minutes ago, regyai said:

ads aimed at tourists aren't going to bear fruit, go look at the apartments the bar girls etc use - pretty much all encompass these basic needs.

Yep. Many a bargirls room has a rice cooker in it.

6 hours ago, Zeema said:

Forget kosher meat, or dairy (you're only drinking chalav nochri) BKK is a better bet for you, there's a beit Chabad there where you can get all you need, and a shul.

There's at least one kosher catering firm for airlines and events, and I would bet there's some way to have wholesale orders shipped to Pattaya. I wish I could recall the name of this company, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

I'm not your savior, I'm just a naughty boy.

43 minutes ago, Revanchist said:

There's at least one kosher catering firm for airlines and events, and I would bet there's some way to have wholesale orders shipped to Pattaya. I wish I could recall the name of this company, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

There's one "kosher" restaurant in Pattaya, run by a guy named Shabi, on soi buakhao, Yasmin if I remember correctly. 

I put the word "kosher" in inverted commas because there's no way in hell he's buying kosher meat or any other cooking products in Pattaya, and to run a kosher kitchen you need hasgoche (someone with rabbinical training to monitor the ongoing procedures  of the kitchen).

If you're a pious Jew, you've got no business being in Pattaya, or you're there for the oddest of reasons. 

Edited by Zeema

Pleasure is the only thing one should live for. 

Nothing ages like happiness.

- Oscar Wilde -

• 3 years later...

Reviving this topic...

On the hunt in a few days for a furnished apartment for six weeks to eight weeks with...

***** 1. cooking facilities (gas/induction stove, deep sink, not small fridge) Cooking on patio ideal

**** 2. Table that can seat 3-4 persons. A desk as well would be good

***** 3. No dogs/mosque/traffic noise

**** 4. Quality mattress

**** 5. Good water pressure and steady hot water

*** 6. Walkable to BigC Super Centre (north or south)

** 7. Squat toilet with bum gun

*** 8. Wondiws screened or so high mosquitos don't get up there

Everything else is gravy.

Budget: 12K THB *maximum* I see places sub-5K and places 15K, but middle ground of superior quality Thai-style cook-at-home places seem to be rare. I had a western-design place in Buriram during COVID that checked all the boxes.

Edited by Jay108