IGNORED

Prik naam som (peppers in vinegar) what am I doing wrong?

Hi Guys,

One of the things I love about LOS is the food .... hmmmmm... amazing food.

I'm a fan of Prik Naam Som - the little floating peppers you get served in restaurants (it's mostly on the table).

I bought the peppers and vinegar (5%) at Tesco, tried to make some - but the taste is crap.

Anybody here know how to make this/ can ask their Tillak how this should be done?

Thanks !!! :Rant1:

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

There are a couple of Thai girls who work in the pretzel stand in the town where I live... I'll ask them for you.

Vinegar is the wrong ingredient. They use something else, I'm not sure what it's called but I will try to find out.

“Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect -and I don't live to be- but before you start pointing fingers... make sure you hands are clean!”. Bob Marley.

CountdownClockCodes.com

Just talking to my Mrs and she says that its a combination of peppers, fish sauce, lime and some kind of odour less Thai vinegar. Sorry I can't be more specific but I'm sure if you did a little research with google you would soon find out the proper way of making it.

Edited by moc1978

“Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect -and I don't live to be- but before you start pointing fingers... make sure you hands are clean!”. Bob Marley.

CountdownClockCodes.com

put in a little lemon/lime juice & let it chill in the fridge for a week, that's all there is to it

I make pickles & pickled eggs in a similar mixture but also add pepper corns & garlic

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your kind help.

Just to be on the clear side - there are usually two kinds of "prik naam" condiments on the table of a thai restaurant.

One has very little and very hot tiny peppers floating in murky dark watery fish sauce which is - this is called "Prik Naam Pah"

The second type is larger not so hot peppers floating in a clear vinegar based "sauce" - this is called "Prik Naam Som" - this is what I am trying to prepare.

There should be no fish sauce in this Prik Naam"

I bought the stuff at Tesco in BKK and I even asked one of the ladies there if the peppers are good for "Prik Naam Som" - and she said that I need peppers and Vinegar - and she said I need to cut the peppers and put them in the Vinegar and that's it.

Well - apparently there seems to be something missing in the above equation cause it doesn't resemble the taste I am so used to. Also a mate tried it and he agrees that there is something wrong.

Edited by x4p3gsu

If you are not talking about the stuff served with noodle soup, it's fish sauce you use not vinegar.

he's talking about chilis in vinegar!!!

large sig = small penis